Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I've had enough now and have taken a solemn vow to avoid this particular thread until I hear on 5Live or read on the BBC sports website that he's actually gone? Cheerio.

Is there anything else happening in the world? The Women's World Cup is rather good.

There's Wrecksit……………......and that clown Boris.........…...oops wrong section...….

35 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

If FL was going to stay I would have thought that he would have come out and announced it by now rather than continuing all this uncertaincy.  The fact that he hasn't does not bode well. 

Bizarre statement. Did you learn nothing from the McClaren saga?

A manager will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER comment on a job if there's a manager still employed.

A manager will probably also never ever ever ever turn down a job that he's not even been offered! It's like me saying that I'm not going to have sexy-time with <insert name of famous fit bird> when she's not even asked for the best 30 seconds of her life!

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Bizarre statement. Did you learn nothing from the McClaren saga?

A manager will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER comment on a job if there's a manager still employed.

A manager will probably also never ever ever ever turn down a job that he's not even been offered! It's like me saying that I'm not going to have sexy-time with <insert name of famous fit bird> when she's not even asked for the best 30 seconds of her life!

They'd get it twice???  Lucky girl...

29 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

I had a mooch around a day or so ago and this thread was at 62 pages.  It's now at 92....are we heading for a record? 

None of us really know what's happening. Frank attracts so much media hype that he only needs to be seen out wearing a pair of Chelsea boots and he's clearly going.  We are now, of course Frank Lampard's Derby County, thanks to Sky so it goes without saying any talk of going is going to spark a tidal wave of conjecture.  

I'm just trying to ignore it all until there's a formal announcement, either way.  If he goes, I'll just cry into my pint.  If he stays, I'll down it and order another.  

Yes it is a bit like Brexit or should we call it Frexit?

All this spouting about as has been mentioned is the papers (be it in paper or online form) just trying to remain relevant and sell.

I bet most on here as soon as they read another, so called up-date, go straight to the link/paper and check it out.

Those lazy enough won't bother and still believe what is being spouted.

This is why I posted the Que sera sera post. Because when it happens THEN WE WILL KNOW either way

47 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If he's staying then the uncertainty only exists outside of the club, where it's irrelevant, and therefore doesn't require an announcement. 

He won't know if he's leaving, until Chelsea approach him - and that can't happen until Derby give Chelsea permission to speak to Frank, and that WOULD require an announcement.

So, you've got the wrong end of the stick. No news is good news. You don't need to make an announcement if everything's staying the same.

What?  Of course you do given the circumstances. 

50 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

If FL was going to stay I would have thought that he would have come out and announced it by now rather than continuing all this uncertaincy.  The fact that he hasn't does not bode well. 

So, Lampard comes out and unequivocally states "I have no interest in becoming Chelsea manager at this time, I love it at Derby and I won't be going anywhere else no matter how many stories in the press say otherwise"

Sarri leaves Chelsea, Chelsea think "Yes we know what Frank said, but we're Chelsea for Christ's sake, we'll try to get him anyway, try to change his mind" and come to Mel offering £10m for his services.

The offer is too good to turn down, Mel decides that actually he'd be ok with Lampard going for that amount, thinks he can attract another, more proven manager who can carry in the vein Lampard had been, Jokanovich's wage demands are easily met from the extra income. He allows Lampard to talk to Chelsea and emphasises how big an opportunity it is for him, pushing him towards the exit.

Things progress well, Lampard decides "Sod it, I'll take the chance, Derby are happy enough for me to go, Chelsea fans love me already, they want this to happen, what can go wrong?" and leaves.

Lying twit! Snake! Deceitful little poo! He said he wasn't going to leave, always knew he was full of crap. He never gave a poo about Derby, I'll boo him every time I see him on tele, I hope he gets sacked within 6 months and never gets a management job again. What's his Twitter handle again? That ****** is going to wish he'd never ducked us over! 

...and so forth.

8 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I'll be incredibly impressed if you can find me one single example of a time where a club or manager made an announcement to say they were going to continue on as normal, simply because the media were linking that manager with a managerial position that isn't even open yet (Beyond saying "my job is here", which is what Frank has done every single time he's been asked).

If there is precedent, I'll accept you have a case for the expectation. But I don't think there is, and I think the expectation is astoundingly unreasonable.

I'll say again - if he's not leaving, there is NO uncertainty within the club (the only place uncertainty matters), so there is nothing to be addressed by an announcement.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Here’s why I think Lampard will not take the Chelsea job, should he be offered it:-

For Chelsea to want to employ Lampard, they will be doing so simply because the lack of transfer market freedom is hindering their ability to employ a “top” coach/manager. This effectively means that Chelsea will be using Lampard as a sticking plaster, they would be exploiting his reputation amongst the Chelsea fans in a cynical ploy to take the heat off those running the club.

There could be comparisons drawn between Chelsea (potentially) employing Lampard, and when GSE & Adam Pearson appointed Nigel Clough here at Derby. Both clubs were reacting to previous errors in strategical & financial management, and both clubs were having to adjust to a period of limited investment in the playing squad.

In fairness, Lampard would potentially inherit a squad much more capable of achieving it’s objectives than Nigel Clough did here, but the philosophy of nursing the club until it can invest is almost identical.

When you hear Nigel Clough right now, he’s clearly bitter about how his time ended at Derby, he nursed the club back to health, but never got to enjoy the financial backing to chase promotion when it became available. Based on the way Chelsea conducts itself as a club, Lampard would be replaced as soon as Chelsea could spend money again.

I personally view the potential appointment of Lampard as Chelsea manager as disingenuous and cynical. It would only happen, in my opinion, if the Chelsea decision-makers believe they are going to struggle to compete for the title and for a top-4 finish next season. If they employed someone with no link to Chelsea, and the team is hovering outside the top 4 or even top 6, how long before the fans turned on the manager/coach and ultimately the board? Lampard would enjoy a buffer of goodwill from the majority of Chelsea fans if they were struggling to compete. Maybe a big enough buffer to see them through their transfer umbongo.

If employed, then replaced two years down the line, Lampard would not be viewed as a successful manager unless he won the PL or the CL.

I believe Frank and his advisors would have noted this as a possibility and considered the move not a wise one to make this early in his career and with such limited freedom to trade at Chelsea.

People thinking he’d take the move in case it never came around again have probably never paid attention to the type of personality Lampard has. He’s a leader, and part-maverick, and as such would never doubt his own ability to succeed. He won’t view the last season as a success, he will be disappointed he didn’t achieve more, and will be expecting to achieve more, ergo finishing 16th this season will not enter his mind.

Lampard to Chelsea is a PR whirlwind, and this alone is fuelling the persistent headlines, but logically, it makes no sense for Chelsea to appoint him, unless they are resigned to a period of rehabilitating the club, and it makes no sense for Lampard to consider it, unless he wants one big payday, which I doubt he does.

It is equally amusing and annoying seeing the meltdown on here. Why are people getting so far ahead of themselves? I know it’s summer and you’re all bored, but for the sake of your own mental health, stop fearing the worst, you’ll end up driving him out of the club!!

Great points totally identifying why Chelsea would what Frank 

I disagree that Frank would nt take the job. He has a free hit at it.  Finish 7th fans will love his effort. 

And it may never come around again, and without investment in new players and good loans he may never do as well at Derby again.

He's lived in London almost all his life 

Sadly when/if job is offered Frank will be gone.    We'd all like it over asap.   

Imagine the meltdown if we were in Premier League in limbo mid June unsure of our manager for next season... 

Anyone at the cup game at Chelsea can see what he means to their fans.  I was in the home end and every one of their fans would have him as manager. 

2 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Great points totally identifying why Chelsea would what Frank 

I disagree that Frank would nt take the job. He has a free hit at it.  Finish 7th fans will love his effort. 

And it may never come around again, and without investment in new players and good loans he may never do as well at Derby again.

He's lived in London almost all his life 

Sadly when/if job is offered Frank will be gone.    We'd all like it over asap.   

Imagine the meltdown if we were in Premier League in limbo mid June unsure of our manager for next season... 

Anyone at the cup game at Chelsea can see what he means to their fans.  I was in the home end and every one of their fans would have him as manager. 

There's only one solution to this, the club needs to move to London. The DLF could have a new meaning, Derby London Football. 

It would be just as quick to get home after games with the A52 roadworks. Covent Garden could be our local.

This just makes sense - I can see it now on a wide load, Pride Park Stadium being moved down the M1 and plonk it right next to Stamford Bridge, Mel Morris doubles his money on his investment of the ground. 

20 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I would like to place on record that I am not going to be managing Chelsea football club today. 

Following day;

I would like to place on record that I am not going to be managing Chelsea football club today. 

Following day;

Following day;

Following day;

How long should this go on for? ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

There's only one solution to this, the club needs to move to London. The DLF could have a new meaning, Derby London Football. 

It would be just as quick to get home after games with the A52 roadworks. Covent Garden could be our local.

This just makes sense - I can see it now on a wide load, Pride Park Stadium being moved down the M1 and plonk it right next to Stamford Bridge, Mel Morris doubles his money on his investment of the ground. 

@Angry Ram.......are you hearing this?

There's loads of them flat-cap wearing northern folk heading Southwards with their flattened vowels, whippets and ferrets. Man the borders!!!

?

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

@Angry Ram.......are you hearing this?

There's loads of them flat-cap wearing northern folk heading Southwards with their flattened vowels, whippets and ferrets. Man the borders!!!

?

We’re bringing mushy peas and gravy to the Capital, you’re in for a treat!

Archived