Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

While it would have been nice for Frank to come out immediately and say “stuff Chelsea I’m staying put’ or - more likely- “I’m flattered by Chelsea’s interests, everybody knows this is my dream job and I want to go” if something strange occurred and he were to stay i’d certainly harbour no ill will toward him because he stayed quiet.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can see it being Darren Wassall with Stevie Mac as Director of Football.

It wasn't long ago Stevie Mac was rumoured to be fronting an group of investors looking to install him as director of football in the club they bought, that's why he signed up for the management MBA course.

Imagine that, them buying out Mel then Mac sacking him!

I don't think he and Wassall saw eye to eye though, they certainly had little contact with each other.

This is a really strange situation we all find ourselves in. 

1/ Frank hasn’t come out and said I’m staying (really doesn’t have to) because...

1/ (a) he is still the Derby County manager and has been since appointed last summer, to that end until that changes (nothing to see here move along kind of thing)

2/Frank hasn’t come out and said I’m leaving for Chelsea (again he really doesn’t have to) because....

2/ (a) he hasn’t been offered the job (contrary to public opinion)

2/ (b) he has decided to remain at Derby County for the remainder of his contract.

I know mostly stating the obvious but, had to get it off my chest ????

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

The current one who almost had the season collapse on him when he lost one player? Really good plan B there.

He went 3 at the back v norwich away and 2 defensive midfielders Bristol away. Also the play off second leg he went to a diamond. All great examples of how he changed his tactics and they paid off. 

Shame that it’s ending this way, it’s now gone beyond the point that won’t impact our season and FL has been a big part of this.

Dream job ? Earring a living from playing a game you love should be the dream job anything else is a bonus. We gave him his first opportunity into management, he backs himself so why jump ship at the first opportunity, and if he was at all grateful then the least he would have done is come back from his holiday early to hold talks to speed this process along.

Yet here we are, two days away from pre season, and we haven’t got a clue who our manager will be for the start of it, lost a lot of respect for him if this goes the way as expected.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The biggest criticism I’ll ever have of Mel is not giving Mac the time to actually build a team capable of implementing plan A properly. He never got a summer window under Mel. 

Aside from Pearson,I agree it was Mel's biggest error,he should have given him the chance but was desperate to shoehorn rowett in for whatever reason....which set us back again in terms of continuity.

Mac to lampard would have been nowhere near as jarring to the system.

53 minutes ago, Simsy said:

He went 3 at the back v norwich away and 2 defensive midfielders Bristol away. Also the play off second leg he went to a diamond. All great examples of how he changed his tactics and they paid off. 

Yet how successful were we without Mason Mount? McClaren would have done alright if his key players stayed fit, Lampard had the same issues as Mac.

Wassall part 2 would be a logical move, plays a similar way to Frank and if it went wrong it wouldn't be an expensive mistake. It would also give us more money to play with, the more I think of it the more I can see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Clever, but not clever enough to get us promoted or get more points than Mac got. 

Or as many goals.

Or wins.

Or win a higher win %

But yeah, 3 at the back at Norwich you say?

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Clever, but not clever enough to get us promoted or get more points than Mac got. 

Or as many goals.

Or wins.

Or win a higher win %

But yeah, 3 at the back at Norwich you say?

Yet still got sacked twice...

I think with those players at that stage in their career Lampard could have got us over the line but it's all opinions of course.

14 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

It would be nice if Frank actually spoke, not heard a thing, only what ive heard. or read,  

I'm assuming his agent/publicist has warned him against it. 

Assuming he's in talks he has a number of options:

A) declare he wants to join Chelsea, alienates the Derby fans and burns a bridge in case it goes wrong. 

B) declare he's staying at Derby, again alienating Chelsea, might burn a bridge to a future opportunity 

C) come out and say he's still in talks, not going to give us anything that we don't know. 

D) say nothing, if it doesn't go through, act like it never happened. If it goes through, he will thank Derby for the opportunity and go on with his career. 

Not saying anything is a safe thing to do and probably won't alienate anyone 

Archived