Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

37 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

We don't have good form when letting staff go elsewhere:

When McClaren was poached by Man Utd (to be Fergusons's #2 in 1999), he still had a few months left on his contract............. Derby allowed him to go without compensation, I think the board must have been "starstruck" at the time? I'd have made them pay the last penny due, it's not as if they were skint.

Despite McClaren's failure here as #1 (twice), we have never been as good since his time here as #2.

6 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Mac 1 had the best win rate we've had in 70 years. Mac 2 has only been bettered by Sir Brian, the Poison Dwarf and Mac1 in the past 70 years.

Mac came in and gave us a record breaking season. More points than Billy Davies team. Record number of goals I think. Some clean sheet record? Highest 2 finishes since promotion under Billy Davies. 

Mac 2 took over from Pearson. Lowest goal scorers in the UK? 3rd from bottom or something? 

I can't believe the word failure goes anywhere near him. He failed to get promotion but I'd like to go on record calling Klopp and Pep failures for failing to win the league and Champions League respectively. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still don’t quite why people get so annoyed at the DET, atleast they ask questions and report on it (look at today with the transfer update). I much prefer that than the silence from Radio Derby. Atleast Nicholson et al try and keep the fans updated, yet seem to get the biggest amount of flak. Soon we won’t get anything, and then people will wonder why

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Have no idea how the Derby Telegraph are reporting that we are making progress on a couple of permanent signings. 

How can we be? These would have been players discussed with Lampard. 

What's to say the new manager likes those players? And we end up with an Anya situation all over again.

Unless the prospective new manager has already given these 2 potential signings the OK. 

In which case I'm starting to fear more and more that he's going to give it to Darren Wassall. 

Mel said he's after a manager who plays the same style of football so you could argue that if there gonna slot into the 433 then they'd be ok to recruit without the manager.

I do agree, though, I think the manager is already in place.

Or possibly Wassall in a DOF role?

18 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Still don’t quite why people get so annoyed at the DET, atleast they ask questions and report on it (look at today with the transfer update). I much prefer that than the silence from Radio Derby. Atleast Nicholson et al try and keep the fans updated, yet seem to get the biggest amount of flak. Soon we won’t get anything, and then people will wonder why

I generally enjoy the coverage from Steve and the DET, but just thought yesterday's story of Frank being back at work today was just clickbait lazy journalism. In fairness, they are also in a vacuum like the rest of are, and they are also tasked with keeping traffic up. So I don't blame them. Even if someone had checked if Frank turned up today, I doubt it would have added much of substance to the debate.

36 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Failure as in failing to get us to the Premier League.

Possibly it could be aimed at him in his full season but he changed our ambitions with the way we played in the previous season. Nobody expected play offs before he came in, they only hoped we could build towards it. 

Mac 2... he took over a team struggling to score never mind win. An awful season was unfolding with Martin sent on loan and Bryson playing DM. Butterfield and Hughes out of position and Vydra and Anya chasing long balls. Again it was Mac who got us believing we should be in the play offs by taking us up the league. 

He failed to get promotion. Pep failed to win the CL. Klopp failed to win the league. Ferguson consistently failed to win the CL in the years Utd dominated English football. He won it twice(?) in 19 attempts? Poch at Spurs has failed in every competition hasn't he? 

He definitely failed to win promotion but I can't begin to see how he was a failure. Arguably if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been able to get Clement, Pearson and Lampard. Yeah two of those have flopped but all took the job thinking they were taking on a promotion battle. 

Probably have to give Rowett credit here too. I don't like him or his football but he left us an appealing project. He carried on Mac's progress. 

Lampard too will leave us an attractive proposition. 

I wouldn't call Rowett, Mac or Lampard failures. Nigel Pearson? Yep. Took us backwards. Clement? Well he spent a lot of money to go sideways so I don't thank him for his visit. 

In a league as tight as this I think it's a big ask to demand any manager give us promotion. By all means they should be looking to make the play offs and then build from there but unfortunately they don't stick around for the building process. Then someone else has to maintain our dream while moulding the squad to suit them.

Perhaps Mac failed in 14/15. If you refuse to acknowledge our bizarre injury situation that hammered our first choice and reserves right down the middle of our formation. And you'd have to ignore the over achievement of the previous season. 

I think failure is very harsh, mate 

38 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Mac 3, Mac 3, Mac 3...

If Mel fancied going for a European style setup I wouldn't object to Mac either as head coach or director of football. His weakness is his tendency to panic when he ran out of ideas, get another level head in and it could actually work. 

Just now, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Leeds Utd second leg play off semi final ??‍♂️

The way Lampard set us out wasn't working, when Holmes was forced off with injury for Marriott was the most important change,  who knows if Lampard would have put Marriott on in time otherwise.

Archived