Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

53 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

They're both made steps up, yes. I've said before that I don't really begrudge Rowett for leaving, as it was a better career opportunity for him at the time.

To me, Lampard's playing career and celebrity are irrelevant in all of this. It's the fact that, years before he even thought of managing Derby, he said that he'd love to manage Chelsea one day. It's his dream job and he's been offered it after just one season. That is far different to moving 30 miles down the road for a bit more money, a bigger transfer budget and a better squad. And, regardless of the fact that Lampard is only able to do this because of his playing career, Chelsea are in the Champions League and are literally the 3rd best team in the country. The reasons why that job is available to him aren't really relevant for me.

Nope the reasons for the job being available aren’t relevant for you but their reasons for taking those jobs are the same , if you think for one minute that if lampard was managing Man City and Chelsea were struggling he would take the job for his Chelsea love ? then more fool you ,

lampard ,rowett jumped ship to further their careers end of , if you are happy with that no probs but don’t pretend it isn’t what it is 

blow up snakes for rowett , blow jxxbs for lampard ?

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Frank can play by a different set of rules, that much is clear.

Chelsea have historically appointed managers with pedigree, with a track record of winning trophies as a manager.

Given that Lampard is their golden boy, their club man and can do no wrong, I get the impression that the job is his when he wants it and his prospects would remain unaffected.

Personally, if I were in his privileged position, I would finish the job here. He is one year into his managerial career. Time is a luxury he can afford.

Why wish those important developmental years away? Use your head, finish the job here, give it everything and then move on to bigger and better things.

By leaving now, he is just exercising a privilege that 99% of other managers simply wouldn’t be afforded.

Honestly, I find some of this to be hypocrisy. I get your point but I don't believe, even for one minute, that it adds up to reality.

Being grateful for the opportunity that Mel has given him, and wanting to take his dream job, are NOT mutually exclusive.

A scenario for you (I think I've used it before in this thread, but, hey, its still valid):

You, @Jourdan (or anybody else for that matter) are the manager of Doncaster Rovers. You are one season into your first year of management. You've done a good, solid job - taken them to the play offs, playing good football. It's been impressive, if not out of this world.

You are a Derby fan. It has always been your dream to manage Derby and you've always been honest that if Derby came calling, you'd be off (add into this that Frank is a legend at Chelsea having had the playing career he's had - I won't throw that into the scenario for any of us). You don't expect Derby to come calling so soon. But they do.

They offer you the opportunity to realise every dream you've ever had. On top of that, they treble your salary and offer you a higher level of football (Frank is being offered Champions League, but again, I won't put that into the scenario).

You've got a great relationship with the Donny fans, you've forged a bond. You have a great relationship with the Chairman and are grateful for him taking a gamble on you. You'd be more than happy to stay at Doncaster under normal circumstances. But these aren't normal circumstances.

You worry that you're not ready for the Derby job. But you are realistic enough to know that football isn't about waiting for 'the right time', because the right time never actually comes. If you don't take it now, you might never get it again. You are facing budget restrictions at Doncaster and next year might be challenging. Derby might appoint someone who does insanely well.

What do you do?

And be honest.

I'd take it. And you'd take it. We all would, of course we would. Because we bleed black and white. Show me someone who says that they'd turn it down, and I'll show you a liar.

It is possible for Frank to be grateful for what we have offered him. It is possible for Frank to have doubts over taking it, to think he's not ready. Its possible for Frank to know that he's got a good job here and that he'd happily stay. It is possible for Frank to know that, sensibly, he should stay and finish the job. But, alongside all of that, it is ALSO possible for him to take it.

Because, you referred to Frabk being judged by a different standard, @Jourdan, in another thread.

I say, that if we expect Frank NOT to take the job, then we're judging him by a different standard to that which we'd judge ourselves. Because we all know that if we were in the above position (Frank's position less some), then we'd take the job.

And I have no hard feelings for him doing so. Stupid, premature, naive it may be. Will he live to regret it? I probably think he will. Should he take it? How can I possibly say no when I know that I'd do the same.

I have my issues with Frank and the way that he has allowed his family/friends to handle the situation over the last couple of weeks. But that's for another day/thread.

I just don't get the hypocrisy. Frank is only doing what I, you, or anybody else would do. And that's the sad reality we are left with.

6 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Again apologies if this has been posted ,interesting take [although it is the Star]

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/787872/Next-Chelsea-boss-Frank-Lampard-Derby-latest

There's not many people that would say this has been all OK and especially after Mel Morris' on the radio this morning, more and more people will in the next 24hrs come and show their support for DCFC. 

14 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Honestly, I find some of this to be hypocrisy. I get your point but I don't believe, even for one minute, that it adds up to reality.

Being grateful for the opportunity that Mel has given him, and wanting to take his dream job, are NOT mutually exclusive.

A scenario for you (I think I've used it before in this thread, but, hey, its still valid):

You, @Jourdan (or anybody else for that matter) are the manager of Doncaster Rovers. You are one season into your first year of management. You've done a good, solid job - taken them to the play offs, playing good football. It's been impressive, if not out of this world.

You are a Derby fan. It has always been your dream to manage Derby and you've always been honest that if Derby came calling, you'd be off (add into this that Frank is a legend at Chelsea having had the playing career he's had - I won't throw that into the scenario for any of us). You don't expect Derby to come calling so soon. But they do.

They offer you the opportunity to realise every dream you've ever had. On top of that, they treble your salary and offer you a higher level of football (Frank is being offered Champions League, but again, I won't put that into the scenario).

You've got a great relationship with the Donny fans, you've forged a bond. You have a great relationship with the Chairman and are grateful for him taking a gamble on you. You'd be more than happy to stay at Doncaster under normal circumstances. But these aren't normal circumstances.

You worry that you're not ready for the Derby job. But you are realistic enough to know that football isn't about waiting for 'the right time', because the right time never actually comes. If you don't take it now, you might never get it again. You are facing budget restrictions at Doncaster and next year might be challenging. Derby might appoint someone who does insanely well.

What do you do?

And be honest.

I'd take it. And you'd take it. We all would, of course we would. Because we bleed black and white. Show me someone who says that they'd turn it down, and I'll show you a liar.

It is possible for Frank to be grateful for what we have offered him. It is possible for Frank to have doubts over taking it, to think he's not ready. Its possible for Frank to know that he's got a good job here and that he'd happily stay. It is possible for Frank to know that, sensibly, he should stay and finish the job. But, alongside all of that, it is ALSO possible for him to take it.

Because, you referred to Frabk being judged by a different standard, @Jourdan, in another thread.

I say, that if we expect Frank NOT to take the job, then we're judging him by a different standard to that which we'd judge ourselves. Because we all know that if we were in the above position (Frank's position less some), then we'd take the job.

And I have no hard feelings for him doing so. Stupid, premature, naive it may be. Will he live to regret it? I probably think he will. Should he take it? How can I possibly say no when I know that I'd do the same.

I have my issues with Frank and the way that he has allowed his family/friends to handle the situation over the last couple of weeks. But that's for another day/thread.

I just don't get the hypocrisy. Frank is only doing what I, you, or anybody else would do. And that's the sad reality we are left with.

You’re asking the wrong person.

I stayed in a job for far longer than was necessary, out of loyalty, compassion and respect for people who invested in me, believed in me, saw something in me, and gave me my start.

I am very much a believer in that if you’re good enough, your time will come. And my time did come and I left knowing I had given that company everything.

If I am 41 years old and in the first year of my managerial career and believed in my ability, I wouldn’t be in such a hurry. I would know ‘My time is coming.’ I’d stick with Doncaster and take them as far as I could.

Has Frank taken us as far as he could? Frank will always be a Chelsea legend, he could have made himself a Derby legend too.

55 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

There's not many people that would say this has been all OK and especially after Mel Morris' on the radio this morning, more and more people will in the next 24hrs come and show their support for DCFC. 

As has already been said...classless and disrespectful..

52 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You’re asking the wrong person.

I stayed in a job for far longer than was necessary, out of loyalty, compassion and respect for people who invested in me, believed in me, saw something in me, and gave me my start.

I am very much a believer in that if you’re good enough, your time will come. And my time did come and I left knowing I had given that company everything.

If I am 41 years old and in the first year of my managerial career and believed in my ability, I wouldn’t be in such a hurry. I would know ‘My time is coming.’ I’d stick with Doncaster and take them as far as I could.

Has Frank taken us as far as he could? Frank will always be a Chelsea legend, he could have made himself a Derby legend too.

This is me all over too mate, unfortunately not all people think the same, including Frank .... assuming he goes of course. 

1 hour ago, TibshelfRam said:

What do you do?

And be honest.

Yep, that’s me.... I’m off 

1 hour ago, TibshelfRam said:

What do you do?

And be honest.

what you dont take into account that he joined other clubs after leaving Chelsea and to use your example it you were playing for the mighty Rams would you leave?Money wouldnt come into it,there are players who retired rather than play for another club.

7 hours ago, Archied said:

Disagree , I fully believe that franks choice of time would be as soon as poss from day 1, also the love affair is overstated , this is a fast track to top 4 champions league football for a very savvy and ambitious man , 

fair play lampard ,crack on but let s us fans stop being naive , football is not the same as when the Kevin hectors of this world hung their boots up and became a postman , now there’s the kind of figures that earn and deserve our respect ,

as stated I don’t now hate lampard just see beyond the pr machine 

Spot on? he is one of the celebrity footballers and seems to get off very lightly compared to others. Glad someone else sees past the PR rubbish

Sith Happens

I think had this been sorted last week with a decent statement from Frank his stock at Derby would remain high.

I thought he would stay but doesn't look like it now, which does make the video posted seem a bit disrespectful.

I don't blame him or anyone for taking an opportunity when offered. The handful of people who state they wouldn't leave their current employ out of loyalty even if offered a significant pay rise are either liars or just better people than i am. 

If he does go i dont think i will look for chelseas results either way. If however they don't do well and we draw them in one of the cups at PP and we beat them i will probably join in the you're getting sacked in the morning chants. 

He's done well but not well enough to get a heros reception should he ever bring Chelsea or any other team to PP.

Archived