Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Just read that. Doesnt surprise if so.

Good luck to him.

Trouble is he brought in high expectations and a unity to the club.

Now let's not mess this up with a dull replacement. 

I'm not too fussed if they're dull.  If they keep the same style as we played last year, but up the consistency in performances, play a settled side for more than a couple of games, and get us to defend set pieces, all is good

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be tough for Lampard to replicate Sarri’s achievements. Sarri did a really good job at Chelsea, in his first and only season, he won the Europa league destroying one of their main rivals 4-1 in the final, only lost on penalties in the efl cup final to a brilliant Man City team and finished third in the premier league behind the eventual champions league winners and the premier league winners respectively. All of this was achieved despite Sarri arriving at Chelsea late , not having much a pre season and struggling to speak much English when he first arrived. In fact he did a fantastic job there listing all that out.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It will be tough for Lampard to replicate Sarri’s achievements. Sarri did a really good job at Chelsea, in his first and only season, he won the Europa league destroying one of their main rivals 4-1 in the final, only lost on penalties in the efl cup final to a brilliant Man City team and finished third in the premier league behind the eventual champions league winners and the premier league winners respectively. All of this was achieved despite Sarri arriving at Chelsea late , not having much a pre season and struggling to speak much English when he first arrived. In fact he did a fantastic job there listing all that out.

Taking all that into consideration.......

Good luck Frank ???? you’re gonna need it. 

Loyalty was on offer here and I believe (based on recent history, Jose Mourinho) the goodwill can go out the window all too easily at Chelsea, regardless of who you are. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/frank-lampard-chelsea-manager-Derby-county-history-gamble

Would you go back to a long-lost love if you knew it would end in tears? If you're Frank Lampard, the answer is a clear yes: as he returns to Chelsea for another impassioned fling with the club he loves, the only price to be paid is the near-guarantee that it will have an unhappy conclusion.

1 hour ago, WharfedaleRam said:

The last line just makes me think you're in fantasy land!

He's in Belper, so close.

People saying that Lampard should be applauded for bringing the club together and creating a good atmosphere and a sense of unity at the club, but surely all those efforts have now been undone and rendered null and void?

If the fans are feeling let down and like they are going through a break up that is hard to take, can you imagine how the players and the staff must be feeling?

They were probably more invested in Frank than we were and they were made to feel they were part of something special and meaningful, only to now realise in actuality that it all meant very little.

The disappointment of losing at Wembley will have been enough. It would have been easier to shake off any potential Wembley hangover knowing Frank was still steering the ship and ready to go again.

But now knowing the manager isn’t going to stick around and help the lads bounce back and get over the line must be doubly painful.

I imagine they will be hurting even more than we are right now, and the new manager will have some work to do to lift spirits, win players over, and pick morale up off the floor.

The timing of this is really very damaging.

19 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm not too fussed if they're dull.  If they keep the same style as we played last year, but up the consistency in performances, play a settled side for more than a couple of games, and get us to defend set pieces, all is good

I think you misunderstood my post.

I was saying the likes of Hughton play defensive football and would no way play the style of last year. I wasnt meaning their personality 

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I saw on your tenth birthday celebrations a list of the longest threads in this forum's history. @David - has this one broken into the list or is it still bubbling under?

When was @David 10? Why did nobody tell me?

25 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Not too bothered about Frankie going. True he brought the buzz back and got us to the play offs (just) but for me the season was one of inept performances and bizarre team selections punctuated by a few fantastic games. If he had stayed I imagine the good performances would have increased but all history now and I look forward to the new manager. 

Totally agree. I think there needs to be some perspective here. Yes, he built a good rapport with the fans and we all enjoyed the bounce but it was an indifferent season overall. Some great performances including the cup runs, loved the 2 wins v WBA, Sheff Utd and Brentford at home along with the hammering of Rotherham and great win at Brizzle. The play off win at the Dirties will live long in the memory. However, there was some real dross mixed in with that. Both Millwall games, both Villa games, both Dirties games in the league, Blackburn away, in fact the period early in the New Year was pretty dire. We did end up getting less points than under the snake. So for me, thanks Frank, enjoy Chelski but I am confident we can develop and improve on what he has started and move on.....

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

It might be lower end for a champions league manager, but it means he'd be paid almost as much as Emery and Pochettino. The only managers on more than him would be Pep, Klopp and Pellegrini. Its their money to spend, but seems a bit ridiculous for a manager who has accomplished precisely nothing so far.

It would be difficult to pay him less than all the others doing the same job though... it’s more the appointment that’s ridiculous 

48 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Why do people think managers are in charge of loans? These massive clubs have huge development teams and loan managers that work with the loanee clubs. I'm not convinced Frank can just go "Oh send these out to Derby me ol mucka!". 

I don't want to build a team around loans again, it really isn't ideal. Let's build our own team of youth and storm it.

But the players available to loan’s preferences are clearly listened to, Mount could’ve joined half the clubs in Europe last summer but wanted to work with Lampard. If the next Mount goes to Frank and asks how it was at Derby, one would imagine Frank strongly encouraging him to go there, which would hold some significance in that player’s mind, especially if Mount and Tomori are given chances at Chelsea this season.

Fwiw I do agree on the loans. Supplementing a squad with a high quality difference maker on loan you otherwise couldn’t afford = sensible. Building a spine of a team around three loan players you’ve no chance of getting back = not sensible kicking the can down the road. I would at least like us to look at Sibley, Knight, Bird etc before using the loan system too heavily.

23 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I saw on your tenth birthday celebrations a list of the longest threads in this forum's history. @David - has this one broken into the list or is it still bubbling under?

Inside each forum at the top right we have sorting options so you can see the most viewed, most replies. This is both the most viewed and replied in this board, but George Thorne still holds the record in the Transfer Forum with 10,300+ replies and 934k+ views

91EF7618-981E-4062-8B76-5D426BA2B70E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

People saying that Lampard should be applauded for bringing the club together and creating a good atmosphere and a sense of unity at the club, but surely all those efforts have now been undone and rendered null and void?

If the fans are feeling let down and like they are going through a break up that is hard to take, can you imagine how the players and the staff must be feeling?

They were probably more invested in Frank than we were and they were made to feel they were part of something special and meaningful, only to now realise in actuality that it all meant very little.

The disappointment of losing at Wembley will have been enough. It would have been easier to shake off any potential Wembley hangover knowing Frank was still steering the ship and ready to go again.

But now knowing the manager isn’t going to stick around and help the lads bounce back and get over the line must be doubly painful.

I imagine they will be hurting even more than we are right now, and the new manager will have some work to do to lift spirits, win players over, and pick morale up off the floor.

Absolutley spot on , this is massively damaging and shows what a lod of crap it was from FL to the fans the players and the club . That's not bitterness talking at all .

If he is the intelligent bloke people make him out to be he would have stayed until either sacked or actually achieving something with us , he has done naff all at the moment and im sorry but staying and learning his trade was the obvious solution . He has plenty of time to become Chelsea boss basically at his whim ! . This to me shows how false the bloke is , but there is no denying this is going to totally wipe the floor with the players as the team unity was at outstanding levels you could tell that , its all very very damaging …..this season is a non starter straight away .

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If it wasn't for the existence of Alfreton, I would use Belper as a baseline for "dystopian bleak fiction of society crumbling and survivors trying to live amongst the ruins" although the taj used to do a mean kebab.

Have you been to Clay Cross?

21 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

<snip>

Timing is not of Frank or our choosing. I don't think many can seriously expect him to turn up the opportunity - for personal, financial and career reasons. We all would like to think he loves us but in reality we are just another football club and he has been offered the chance to go back to not only a place where he is a true legend but also one of the leading clubs in Europe. I know it might sound daft, given this is Chelsea, but that opportunity might not come around again soon and he also probably has a personal drive to make sure the club is in good hands.

As for us, it's dragged on a bit over here in forum land where timelines move at a totally different pace to the real world. In actual life people have been on holiday at the end of the season and are only now returning. We'll have a replacement lined up, chances are we're already talking to them, likely to be brought in within the next two weeks and then the most read thread on this forum will be called 'Frank who?'.

Archived