Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one am getting bored,

I seriously hope Frank is currently sat on Abramovich's yacht right now sipping the french equivalent of a carling, signing this bloody deal so we can actually plan for next season instead of being stuck in the mud where we most likely wont have a manager when players report back, no signings or anything even negotiated, not gonna help us being lastminute . com once again this season, Please Mel I beg have some folk ready on speed dial for as soon as Lampard signs that contract. 

8 minutes ago, Duwayne said:

I for one am getting bored,

I seriously hope Frank is currently sat on Abramovich's yacht right now sipping the french equivalent of a carling, signing this bloody deal so we can actually plan for next season instead of being stuck in the mud where we most likely wont have a manager when players report back, no signings or anything even negotiated, not gonna help us being lastminute . com once again this season, Please Mel I beg have some folk ready on speed dial for as soon as Lampard signs that contract. 

spacer.png

Just now, muttley72 said:

I’m just waiting for Talksport / Mirror / Daily Fail etc to announce on twitter: “Chelsea expected to announce Lampard as new manager in the next 48 hours”. 

They did.  72 hours ago!

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

Well, he’s had official permission to talk to Chelsea now for two days and I can’t believe informal talks haven’t been going on for longer than that so what’s the hold up?  

I’m now convinced that he is staying.  Absolutely nailed on. Staying.  If it were his dream job he’d work there for nothing, so why worry about contracts and all that.  They’ll cough up the compo no questions asked.  He should have signed in 5 minutes flat.  He hasn’t,  so it’s clear he doesn’t want to go.  Definitely staying.   Absolute definitely staying.  

Staying.

Can you please send him a text to come home pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

This will be hilarious Monday when we see pictures on the club website of Lampard laughing with Waghorn at the training centre in Florida.

They would be cause theywould be getting a extra week on their jollies the team do not go till the week after

Well, he’s had official permission to talk to Chelsea now for two days and I can’t believe informal talks haven’t been going on for longer than that so what’s the hold up?  

It does seem odd that it's still dragging on, given how long it's supposedly been a "done deal" according to those ITKers

If the July 1st date has any bearing on the proceedings for FFP purposes (not saying it has but seen it mentioned on twitter a few times) then 5pm Friday would be my guess for the announcement - the paperwork then doesn't get filed until after the weekend (aka July 1st)

8 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

They would be cause theywould be getting a extra week on their jollies the team do not go till the week after

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

It will be cos they're not going until later next week! 

You are both pedants.

8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

It does seem odd that it's still dragging on, given how long it's supposedly been a "done deal" according to those ITKers

Be done by Sunday, perhaps even before the weekend.

Don't think we'll have a new manager in before the 8th of July. 

59 minutes ago, angieram said:

What transfer embargo? Managing to 'sign' a £40 million pound midfielder due to a technicality in the loan clause that means he's already a Chelsea player - Mason Mount better not get his hopes too high of getting any first team action this season - Frank Lampard or no Frank Lampard!

Yeah, it does make a mockery of the ban.

But to all those who say that Lampard will definitely give "the kids" playing time this year because of the embargo - this is Chelsea. It ain't gonna happen. He may have every intention of playing them but the owner is a guy notorious for impatience. You just wait until Frank loses 1/2/3 on the bounce - you can bet that those young players won't see the light of day for fear of the chop.

Mount, Tomori etc. - even Ampadu are not going to be first team regulars. Of that, I am pretty confident.

1 hour ago, LondonRam2 said:

hi all

Reasons for him to stay - 100% owner support, 100% fan support, 100% player support, the chance to really build something long term.

Reasons to go - more money, old club, instant PL BUT

Reasons to stay here part 2 - fickle owner at Chelsea, fickle fans at Chelsea, transfer embargo at Chelsea, previous revolving door of managers at Chelsea, more pressure at Chelsea

He could manage Chelsea in 10 years time and still be thought of as a 'young' manager.  If he goes there now his stay could be short and then he's out of a job.  In some ways we are actually the better bet for him long term, which is probably why he is taking a long time to decide.

LR2

Fully agree. And I think that, 1 or 2 posters in here have taken my previous comments to suggest that Frank 'should' take the job.

I don't think it is in his best interests to take it. I really don't. I just fully understand why he is.

BUT, the one big question that remains is this:

Frank is 41, and has had one season in management. We ALL knew that managing Chelsea was his dream job.

But football doesn't tend to lend itself towards managerial stability. Gone are the days of managers lasting 20 years. Especially at Chelsea.

My guess, at best, is that Frank lasts a maximum of 2-3 years (and I think that there's every chance he's gone in a year). THEN WHAT?

Where do you go from there? His reputation, I doubt, will be as high. And he will probably feel pretty unfulfilled. But where do you go after your dream job? I honestly can't see him wanting to go from Chelsea back down to the Championship or a Bournemouth etc.

I get that he hack to back himself to be the one to buck the trend at Chelsea. To be the one to finally bring about longevity - but history suggest otherwise.

I mean this in no negative way to Frank - I think he has the makings of a really decent manager (a lot to learn yet, admittedly), and I really like him and sincerely hope he succeeds in his career. But my guess is that we see Frank Lampard settling back into a career in punditry, touring the Sky Sports studios, within 5 years. His bouncing days will be long gone.

It's not ideal but there is 39 days until the season proper kicks off.  That's a fair old amount of time still.

In the meantime Mel and Stephen Pearce are, clearly, reviewing and maybe interviewing out of work prospective candidates. So they will be getting on with that part of the process if they haven't already been doing so anyway. They will also be deciding if/whether there are any managers currently in work who they might want to approach should Frank leave. 

Monday is the key day because if he hasn't left by then Frank and co will have to report to Moor Farm and he won't want to do that if he's intending to leave

The next important date will be America on Thursday/Friday, if they're still going. The time before that is all tests and a bit of running - not so important.  Unless our choice is out of work or an internal candidate then it will be really hard for them to be in post by a week today given the interviews and negotiations and contracts that will need to happen. They will have to put some contingency arrangements in place if they're going and find some alternatives - friendlies and facilities - if not.  At least they could stay at Moor Farm.  They're meant to be in Florida for 10 days so a new manager and team could fly out after 3 days or so - next weekend - and still make it worthwhile.

Transfers I wouldn't be so worried about at this stage, not for another 10/15 days at least.  EPL clubs won't make loan decisions before then; EFL/foreign clubs will be hanging on trying to drive prices up.  Mel will want any new manager to have a part in choosing new players and outgoings, other than those already agreed. Most of the transfers will happen in the last week of the window as they always do.

Martin, Thorne and co will all think that this will be an opportunity to play for Derby again unless they've organised loans already, which I would doubt.  They will wait and see because a new manager might have different views about them from Frank and his team. You feel a bit for Shinnie. He will have been persuaded to come by Frank and knows that a new manager might not want him.  At least he's experienced though, so hopefully will cope and be a good addition.

Let's say nothing much happens on the player front because the manager appointment is delayed - it's still a squad with a balance of experience and youth and some good players. It won't be the worst squad in the league. What's most important is to get the manager appointment right, to get the person that matches Mel's criteria. Even if it takes 20 or 30 days and they miss most of pre-season.  You can play catch up - it's not ideal but you can.

Archived