Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

42 minutes ago, Jram said:

Yeah they seem pretty desperate to get him so we could name our price although someone said the compensation can't exceed his wages for the remainder of the contract? Say he's on 2 Mill a year, that means max we could get is 4 Mill 

Jody Morris wont be on as much as Frank, but maybe we can get some compo for him as well if he goes. Failing that maybe we can agree a half price deal for Tomori to go with the compo.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Jody Morris wont be on as much as Frank, but maybe we can get some compo for him as well if he goes. Failing that maybe we can agree a half price deal for Tomori to go with the compo.

Not sure Tomori would be so keen to come back without Lampard at the helm. Derby is a good club but the draw of working with a genuine legend like Lampard will have been a big factor, especially for the younger lads.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I've always had the feeling Lampard was a genuine, level-headed individual but, if the rumours of him going prove to be correct then something makes me doubt his sincerity.

But we don’t know anything, for all we know, Chelsea may have put feelers out and Frank told them it’s not the right time, he’d like to see his contract out with Derby and manage Chelsea further down the line only to be informed Mr Abramovitch doesn’t take kindly to not getting his own way and if he doesn’t take the job now there will be no offer in the future.

Yeah, that might be wide or the mark but so is doubting his sincerity/integrity. Cut the bloke some slack at least til everything unfolds.

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

There really is no chance in hell that if frank goes to Chelsea his whole staff don’t go with him , to think frank goes and Jody Morris remains to manage Derby is total non starter

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone genuinely still expect him to be here come the start of the season?

It wouldn’t surprise me. Last nights developments have come from Sky Italia who do not have the best of records when it comes to rumours. 

Lampard has been favourite for the job for a number of weeks now, Sarri’s departure was always going to spark this reaction whether there is anything in it or not. The articles will have been written and saved ready to click publish.

I’m following with obvious interest and a slight concern, but not ready to think about the what next or goodbye speeches until something concrete happens.

The media reporting over this has been amateur at best, even the Mail this morning are running a story with a headline Lampard has held talks, but when you read the article it says they want to and will seek. Given the recent coverage of this club you would think we would know not to hang on their every word. 

If Derby announce Chelsea have made an approach to talk to Frank, that’s when I will look to move on, until then my knickers remain dry and untwisted....maybe a slight crinkle in the waistband.

1 minute ago, Archied said:

There really is no chance in hell that if frank goes to Chelsea his whole staff don’t go with him , to think frank goes and Jody Morris remains to manage Derby is total non starter

Actually though that would soften the blow a lot I think for the players and the fans as its often the OVER LOOKED assistant that does most of the work !! .  PETER TAYLOR springs to mind .

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Yes

Andy, I've just inherited $27 million but can't cash the cheque. If you can cash it for me I'd be willing to give you 50%. The problem is I need to get over to Nigeria to to collect it. If you can forward £10,000 today, so I can get over there tomorrow, we can both share in good fortune. There's no time to delay as the cheque self destructs in 24 hours. Just DM for the bank details so you can make the transfer.

4 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Because all of their appointments and sackings have been so logical ?

Sarri had the last laugh by finding his next job as a result of all the lack of support the club and fans gave him.

Sarri knew nothing about the £50m player they signed in January.

I think Chelsea are exactly the type of club, in exactly the type of position that means they will offer Frank the job.

As an example, if Klopp left Liverpool I would nt expect Gerrard to be offered the job.   Chelsea and Frank are different imho and Frank is sadly off. 

All of their appointments and sackings have been down to winning the Champions League or not winning the Premier League. 

They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. I don't think they share the image that they're a big club that got rich and are having fun. They, and rightly so in my opinion, expect to compete with Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester clubs etc. 

Never have they gone down the stage of building for the next season or next 5 years. If they did then Andre Villas Boas wouldn't have been pushed out. 

They demand instant impact with every player that starts and every manager they have. 

The pattern to Chelsea is that they are not patient. 

No Derby fan would accept Derby taking a year or two out of battling for promotion because of a transfer ban. 

Absolutely no way on earth is Roman going to accept a year or two of developing youth players. 

I'm confident he will expect the more minor trophies. A better effort at the PL and another good to great European effort. 

"But we sold Hazard" I don't think will cut it as an excuse. 

I don't think they'll go for Lampard. But, and it's a huge BUT, if they did then he can't call on his Derby experience to help him there. It's a job you're traditionally allowed next to no mistakes and it's dealing with no just local pressure but huge nationwide pressure.

7 minutes ago, Shang said:

Sarri was a Klopp type figure but in Italy, always second best but played super attractive attacking football. They appointed Sarri in response to the defensive dire football from Conte and Mourinho before that. There was logic to it.

"Because all of their appointments and sackings have been so logical ?"

If hiring Sarri was logical leaving him to go find his next club after season's end sure wasn't......

Regarding their many many hires and fires we will have to disagree....

They have made many bad decisions over the years.  A club if their resources only winning less than one trophy per year is very poor.

It's their hire and fire approach that makes me certain they WILL offer Frank the job. 

3 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Actually though that would soften the blow a lot I think for the players and the fans as its often the OVER LOOKED assistant that does most of the work !! .  PETER TAYLOR springs to mind .

You do know what happened when Peter Taylor was our manager don't you?

5 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

But we don’t know anything, for all we know, Chelsea may have put feelers out and Frank told them it’s not the right time, he’d like to see his contract out with Derby and manage Chelsea further down the line only to be informed Mr Abramovitch doesn’t take kindly to not getting his own way and if he doesn’t take the job now there will be no offer in the future.

Yeah, that might be wide or the mark but so is doubting his sincerity/integrity. Cut the bloke some slack at least til everything unfolds.

Read the post. TWICE I said "if the rumours are true".

Isn't what this thread is all about - 100% speculation?

4 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Your not getting my point, Jody Morris will choose to go with frank to Chelsea if he goes ,

The way I loo at it is Frank is only 40, and he will be backing himself to be a top coach so probably looking at something like Roy Hodgson as his benchmark for how long his managerial career could easily be - which is 25-30 years.

Within that time a tenure at Chelsea could be what, 3-5 tops?

Time is on his side and although I actually think he may speak to Chelsea I believe at this point he will still be at PP in the new season.

Time will of course tell and meantime, I'd like to see some more idle speculation about players I've never heard of and photos of Frank in various football grounds watching games......?

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not sure Tomori would be so keen to come back without Lampard at the helm. Derby is a good club but the draw of working with a genuine legend like Lampard will have been a big factor, especially for the younger lads.

I would imagine the idea behind FL going to Chelsea would be that such as Tomori stay and get a chance?

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

All of their appointments and sackings have been down to winning the Champions League or not winning the Premier League. 

They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. I don't think they share the image that they're a big club that got rich and are having fun. They, and rightly so in my opinion, expect to compete with Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester clubs etc. 

Never have they gone down the stage of building for the next season or next 5 years. If they did then Andre Villas Boas wouldn't have been pushed out. 

They demand instant impact with every player that starts and every manager they have. 

The pattern to Chelsea is that they are not patient. 

No Derby fan would accept Derby taking a year or two out of battling for promotion because of a transfer ban. 

Absolutely no way on earth is Roman going to accept a year or two of developing youth players. 

I'm confident he will expect the more minor trophies. A better effort at the PL and another good to great European effort. 

"But we sold Hazard" I don't think will cut it as an excuse. 

I don't think they'll go for Lampard. But, and it's a huge BUT, if they did then he can't call on his Derby experience to help him there. It's a job you're traditionally allowed next to no mistakes and it's dealing with no just local pressure but huge nationwide pressure.

They have a different set of cards to paly with now.  No transfers and top player sold, and owner that rarely if ever goes to games.  A new ground not going ahead.  A distant owner means they will LIKELY have troubled times ahead.  

That's the perfect time to appoint and old hero and hope things go reasonably well.  Top6 pushing for top4 is now their expectation.  

It's the perfect time to offer the job to Frank.

With no transfer embargo and an attending owner ( note they are not even asking for a suspension to it the ban ) in place I would be surprised if they went for Frank. 

As thinga stand I expect Frank to be gone by Monday sadly.

The one thing Frank can do for us is five us quick and swift clarity and allow us to move on.

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Agree with this, I keep seeing Lampard being the man because he’s the only man that will take it with the transfer ban and this season is effectively a write off. Big clubs don’t just write off seasons. Big clubs want to be in the Champions League, why?

Preliminary qualifying round: €230,000

First qualifying round: €280,000

Second qualifying round: €380,000

Third qualifying round: €480,000 (Only for clubs eliminated from the champions path, since clubs eliminated from the league path qualify directly for the UEFA Europa League group stage and therefore benefit from its distribution system.)

Base fee for group stage: €15,250,000

Group match victory: €2,700,000

Group match draw: €900,000

Round of 16: €9,500,000

Quarter-finals: €10,500,000

Semi-finals: €12,000,000

Losing finalist: €15,000,000

Winning the Final: €19,000,000

If Chelsea do make an approach for Frank, it won’t be because they are ready to write the season off, it will be because they believe he is capable of taking the club forward and competing for the top 4 and in Europe. Yes they have lost Hazard but they have also gained Pulisic.

He will absolutely feel the pressure of being at a big club and not have a 2 year jolly to try a few kids because he scored a load of goals for them as a player. Di Matteo spent 6 years at the club at the player, didn’t buy him any extra time.

*edit. Chelsea will also be aware of Spurs reaching the Champions League Final with a self-imposed season transfer ban.

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

Just re read that , sounds like I could be sitting in the east stand or playing on the pitch ,, never mind lampard leaving the melt down if I was playing would be beyond epic ,,, going on a diet today though ,,, you never rule anything out in football

@Archied and the Wardrobe upfront is gonna be an interesting combination. 

Any suggestions of Frank leaving for anything more than the love of Chelsea are ludicrous.

Now is the perfect time for him imo, transfer embargo gives him chance to blood the youth and I can’t really see Chelsea fans expecting too much from the next few seasons embargo and no Hazard, bit of a free pass for him. 

I for one wouldn’t begrudge him and I’d wish him the best of luck, he’s brought Derby into the limelight in his season here, made us a more attractive club to come to, and took us to Wembley. Hopefully we keep a good relation and get a few young gems here through Frank.

ps put your money on Monk as his replacement. 

14 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Andy, I've just inherited $27 million but can't cash the cheque. If you can cash it for me I'd be willing to give you 50%. The problem is I need to get over to Nigeria to to collect it. If you can forward £10,000 today, so I can get over there tomorrow, we can both share in good fortune. There's no time to delay as the cheque self destructs in 24 hours. Just DM for the bank details so you can make the transfer.

I can help

Archived