Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I’ve never bought the Lampard is loyal factor and he loves us, it’s merely a job to him, I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing but how many of you truly love your places of work? I don’t think any manager is absolutely loyal unless they’re absolutely associated with the club but it will interesting to see if Lampard gets the same criticism as McClaren and Rowett did. Of course it’s not as cut and dry as this, but he left his boyhood club and a club his dad was a legend at to join one of their main rivals, then whilst at that new club(becoming a legend in the process) flirted with other big clubs like Barcelona saying it would be a dream to join them before eventually leaving that club to join their premier league title rivals. This isn’t necessarily a criticism of Lampard , but there isn’t really anything to suggest that loyalty is one of his key traites so I’m surprised some were naive to buy into that notion.

Absolutely agree. He's not said anything most managers don't say when they take over a club - the usual platitudes about it being a big club, having a great history etc. I don't see why Lampard is any different to any other manager. Is it because of the bouncing thing? And because he's famous and young and stylish?

Not knocking Lampard himself, I just don't understand why he's considered by so many to have Derby County running through him like a stick of rock after less than 12 months at the club.

4 minutes ago, Chelsea ST said:

Time will tell if Frank lands up at Chelsea but If he does the question of compensation will be interesting but some times compensation is better taken by way of things other than pounds sterling for as I say we have some huge talents graduating from our academy and if you could tie up a couple from the likes of Charlie Brown , Connor Gallacher . Marc Geri or Daishawn Reda then you wouldn’t be too disappointed.

I would agree you have some great talent in your academy, but it would be completely wasted with us if we decide to appoint another hoof ball merchant this time round. 

Also bear in mind the Prem dont have the same financial constraints as the Championship. We already had to sell our stadium to stay FFP compliant, so i imagine we will be trying to squeeze every penny we can get out of Chelsea if they do come for Frank. 

18 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

not to mention added sponsorship and gate receipts.  We know Abramovich is loaded but in his quest to have Chelsea be self sufficient can they afford to toss away £50m odd in funds...  No chance

How much more money will Lampard bring in?

As for Champions League, there's plenty of 'ordinary' managers qualified with their teams I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He never really loved them, he was too young to know what real love is. ?

Yeah they fell out when they sacked Uncle Harry and his Dad, but people seem to forget that he grew up in Romford supporting them. His Dad played for them, he joined their academy and started his career there when his Uncle was the manager there.

Chelsea fans like to think he's their special one, but realistically he just won some trophies there - he's not "one of their own" no matter how much of a froth they are tugging themselves into at the moment. Chelsea was just his rebound club ?

Frank would be a big loss for the club, another manager not seeing at second season at DCFC.

Plus side is that we should make around 4-5 million in term of compo from him going and we made 2 million for Rowett so our managers are now becoming assets.

Jokanovic would be the one for me, he knows how to get out of the league and is a top quality manager, he was linked with the Chelsea job earlier in the season i believe.

If Frank did go maybe it would help us become a feeder club for the youngsters at Chelsea, Tomori back and maybe a few others. Mount *cough *cough

Hope it is sorted out as quickly as possible and we can move forward from where we left off last season.

Thinking about it. People are saying we need to play scintillating football and need to hire a manager that will carry this on.

But was the football that good? Yes of course there were some good times and performances. But could you argue that there were more bad ones?

The play off games against Leeds. First leg we didn't have a shot on target. Which is pretty incredible and I said at the time that was unforgivable. 

Infact it took us till half time in the 2nd leg for us to have a shot on target. Marriott (who should have started) scored. I said at the time that Lampard got very lucky here. Holmes was injured. Forced into bringing Marriott on. If it had gone like the play off final and Marriott comes on at 2 goals down with half an hour to go. Would we have come back? Look at the play off final. If someone had been injured at half time. And he bought Marriott on, would we have come back? He made some mistakes tactically last season. None more so than the play off final. Leaving Marriott out and playing Johnson and Huddlestone together was a massive error. 

Leeds (H, A and PO first leg), Bolton (A), Rotherham (A), Millwall (H&A), Ipswich (A), Blackburn (A), Villa (H, A, PO Final), Sheff Utd (A), Stoke (A), Forest (H&A), Preston (A), Brentford (A), Birmingham (A). 

That's 20 games there that I think we didn't play well in. We hardly played well for 90 minutes in games. We had spells. Even Norwich away, which was a brilliant away day. Was absolutely horrendous for the first 35 minutes. 

Yes I want him to stay. I want the stability and I want him to build something cos he's started to. But people thinking we played this amazing fast flowing football are wrong imo. Yes we did on stages in games. 

He's replaceable and there are better managers out there than Frank. 

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Just for a bit of balance, someone from one of the betting companies on talksport had Frank at 4/1, but Allegri was also 4/1 and Benitez was 5/1.

So maybe it’s not all done and dusted just yet.

Not bad odds.

Well much better anyway than the local bookie would give me on this thread reaching 200 pages of hysteria and Frank still not going anywhere ?

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Thinking about it. People are saying we need to play scintillating football and need to hire a manager that will carry this on.

But was the football that good? Yes of course there were some good times and performances. But could you argue that there were more bad ones?

The play off games against Leeds. First leg we didn't have a shot on target. Which is pretty incredible and I said at the time that was unforgivable. ...But people thinking we played this amazing fast flowing football are wrong imo. Yes we did on stages in games. 

? shhhh....

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

This was one of the main reasons I was so quick to suggest Jokanovic.

I've said a few times this season that Lampard looks like he is attempting to play a style of football that he doesn't quite know how to get working. It's an attempt on something similar to McClaren: 4-3-3, attacking football, high press, keeping possession.

I personally think Jokanovic could take want Lampard was trying to do, and improve it. He's proven that he can get teams playing like that at this level.

It's also the main reason why I think turning to Hughton or Monk would be wrong. They would most likely want to change the squad again to play their own brand of football. That would be starting again, yet again.

Add to that list all the other suggestions that make me want throw up: Karanka, Pulis, Allardyce, Pardew, Moyes, Rowett...

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

I’ve just read this article and at no stage does it refer to “holding formal talks”,it’s still speculative on the subject.Now,forgive me for being cynical but how many people would just go with that headline as fact?!. I don’t know if he’ll go or not but I’d love for people to actually respond to actual facts before getting carried away with their ideas.

16 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The play off games against Leeds. First leg we didn't have a shot on target. Which is pretty incredible and I said at the time that was unforgivable. 

Infact it took us till half time in the 2nd leg for us to have a shot on target. Marriott (who should have started) scored. I said at the time that Lampard got very lucky here. Holmes was injured. Forced into bringing Marriott on. If it had gone like the play off final and Marriott comes on at 2 goals down with half an hour to go. Would we have come back? Look at the play off final. If someone had been injured at half time. And he bought Marriott on, would we have come back? He made some mistakes tactically last season. None more so than the play off final. Leaving Marriott out and playing Johnson and Huddlestone together was a massive error. 

Leeds (H, A and PO first leg), Bolton (A), Rotherham (A), Millwall (H&A), Ipswich (A), Blackburn (A), Villa (H, A, PO Final), Sheff Utd (A), Stoke (A), Forest (H&A), Preston (A), Brentford (A), Birmingham (A). 

That's 20 games there that I think we didn't play well in. We hardly played well for 90 minutes in games. We had spells. Even Norwich away, which was a brilliant away day. Was absolutely horrendous for the first 35 minutes. 

Yes I want him to stay. I want the stability and I want him to build something cos he's started to. But people thinking we played this amazing fast flowing football are wrong imo. Yes we did on stages in games. 

Spot on dude

Archived