Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Zero loyalty in players and managers and contracts mean nothing,if he goes and its a shoe in he does good look to him

This needs to be sorted one way or the other as i think the players return a week on Monday for training so not leaving ourselves long to get new manager in before then

Enjoyed last season but it was mixed with inconsistency and some awful performances  

Exactly.

I have enjoyed having Lampard as our manager, we've had players that, previously, we wouldn't even have dreamed of and the season has, on the whole, been really enjoyable.

His starting XIs do, however, continue to be picked out of a hat prior to each game and there has been countless examples of naivety, but these will hopefully be rectified with experience.  I had hoped he would be able to mature as a manager with us but he definitely isn't as irreplaceable as some would have you believe.

Some consistency would have been nice though...

The odds on Frank being the next Chelsea Manager have been up and down like a bride's nightie. 

Wednesday he was 1/4 with Sky Bet, then yesterday 2/5...... this morning 1/16!

I wouldn't pay much attention to the odds but 1/16  exceptionally short.

It saddens me to say this but I think he's going to go. I still hope that he stays but this morning is the first time I've believed he won't be here for the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone genuinely still expect him to be here come the start of the season?

Yes. I seriously won't believe that Chelsea would take that risk.

More sensationalism by the daily mail, sarri ain’t even gone yet, they won’t have held any formal talks yet or be in a position for a few days to seal lampards appointment. Even later says “want to hold talks”! I’m sure they do and I’m sure we’ll let them, we’d be idiots not to, but they haven’t yet! I’m sure we’ll get the formal approach soon and we’ll grant permission, but that hasn’t happened yet so they need to stop getting ahead of themselves. Sarri will complete his move to juve soon (today finally after stupidly long negotiations) and then we’ll see. I really still don’t get how Chelsea seriously think that this is the right appointment. Be like us appointing stimac. It’s emotional, not logical.

Gonna be a really tough job for Lampard as well with no transfer window of any form out there for them. Be forced to use their youngsters. I’m sure he’d take it mind, he’d be mad not to- it’s way above our job. Total respect from me if he does. Petr Cech as well as DOF, they’re not exactly going for experience here. Could be a disaster in all quarters for them imo. Ten hag and allegri were never realistic managers for Chelsea, but surely Espírito Santo is the man For the job after his work with wolves. Even Gracia would be more sensible.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone genuinely still expect him to be here come the start of the season?

not any more mate. I hope he's here but doubt he will be.

It'd be a shame if he ends up getting sacked at Chelsea before Christmas.

Surely Frank is Chelsea's "get out of jail free" card - the manager they know they can get at any time, whenever they need him, he'll be there

If they go for Frank now, that's it.  They'd be better off appointing someone else with experience, and then calling on Frank in January when Chelsea are still seventh and we've just lost away at Barnsley on a Tuesday night and sit mid-table just below Forest 

Win /Win

I wanted lampard from day 1 and want him to stay , he has a chance to attain god like status with Derby and in football generally  were he to politely come out and say when/ if approached by Chelsea that though he is flattered and ultimately wants to manage Chelsea at some point it’s too early in his career and to leave Derby only 1 year into his 3 year contract when the club had shown faith in him as a novice would not sit right with him .

if he goes I understand but it does tarnish him and a little in my eyes but will wish him the best and we move on as a club , first game of the season I’m going to be sitting in the east stand no matter who is in charge or playing on the pitch 

I've always had the feeling Lampard was a genuine, level-headed individual but, if the rumours of him going prove to be correct then something makes me doubt his sincerity.

At the time of Lampards' post-Wembley comments it was being widely reported about Chelsea's concerns over Sarri and his own lack of appreciation from the Chelsea fans for what he'd achieved so to most onlookers it can't have been a surprise about the way things have developed. Lampards' relationship with Chelsea has been well documented and it's completely understandable that he would want to manage them at some point in his career.

However, since the end of the PL season, given all the speculation about the probability of Sarri moving on and the likely clamour from Chelsea fans to replace him with Lampard, his subsequent comments regards having 2 years remaining on his Derby contract and him preparing for next season appear naieve and intentionally misleading - if, as I've said, the rumours prove go be accurate.

Have people thought how Franks credibility would soar to new levels if he actually stayed and turned it down and held a press conference to explain his reason to his adoring Chelsea fans .

The bloke would achieve god like status with us , Chelsea and rest of fottball world .Chelsea fans would understand its to early and the no transfer thing and have great respect for that.

But it if he goes everyone just shrugs there shoulders and says that's football all about money . Personally think if he goes so soon with Chelsea being in the position there in Frank loses a bit of his shine to everyone outside of Chelsea and esp with Derby fans who he says he loves so much .

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

Yes. I seriously won't believe that Chelsea would take that risk.

Because all of their appointments and sackings have been so logical ?

Sarri had the last laugh by finding his next job as a result of all the lack of support the club and fans gave him.

Sarri knew nothing about the £50m player they signed in January.

I think Chelsea are exactly the type of club, in exactly the type of position that means they will offer Frank the job.

As an example, if Klopp left Liverpool I would nt expect Gerrard to be offered the job.   Chelsea and Frank are different imho and Frank is sadly off. 

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I do but not through any weird sense that he should be loyal to us or anything, I just still don't see the sense in Chelsea appointing him.

I won't understand even if they hire him, but I'm going to continue to believe that common sense will win the day. And nothing I've seen talked about seems to be actual evidence that its happening. 

Besides, until John Percy says something, the process hasn't even begun. I can't imagine the process starting and him not getting wind of it.

Just now, Archied said:

I wanted lampard from day 1 and want him to stay , he has a chance to attain god like status with Derby and in football generally  were he to politely come out and say when/ if approached by Chelsea that though he is flattered and ultimately wants to manage Chelsea at some point it’s too early in his career and to leave Derby only 1 year into his 3 year contract when the club had shown faith in him as a novice would not sit right with him .

if he goes I understand but it does tarnish him and a little in my eyes but will wish him the best and we move on as a club , first game of the season I’m going to be sitting in the east stand no matter who is in charge or playing on the pitch 

That's it isn't it - you can hear him saying that. You can picture it in your mind

The alternative is unthinkable - what does he say in that situation? You can't imagine anything he could say that wouldn't sound insincere and totally disrespectful to Derby

4 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

huge speculation. 

Some people think that season fell apart because McClaren refused to unequivocally state he would never set foot in Newcastle and not, ya know, the fact that the entire spine of our squad was completely obliterated by injuries.  

Abso-blummin-lutely

went to the Brighton game - we had Johnny Russell up front (neither martin nor Bent fit), we had omar mascarell at pivot (no eustace or thorne) and we had 2 runners in Bryson and Hendrick in midfield with Hughes on the bench.

Mascarell was knackered so we brought on Dawks to play pivot and even Kwame Thomas got a run out. 

THAT was a shorn squad. We still outplayed them for an hour and then lost to 2 late goals

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I do. 

I just think they'll go for someone more reliable.

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Just re read that , sounds like I could be sitting in the east stand or playing on the pitch ,, never mind lampard leaving the melt down if I was playing would be beyond epic ,,, going on a diet today though ,,, you never rule anything out in football

1 minute ago, Igorlegend11 said:

Because all of their appointments and sackings have been so logical ?

Sarri had the last laugh by finding his next job as a result of all the lack of support the club and fans gave him.

Sarri knew nothing about the £50m player they signed in January.

I think Chelsea are exactly the type of club, in exactly the type of position that means they will offer Frank the job.

As an example, if Klopp left Liverpool I would nt expect Gerrard to be offered the job.   Chelsea and Frank are different imho and Frank is sadly off. 

Sarri was a Klopp type figure but in Italy, always second best but played super attractive attacking football. They appointed Sarri in response to the defensive dire football from Conte and Mourinho before that. There was logic to it.

Archived