Watchable telly

dog

So, I’ve just finished watching Penny Dreadful, City of Angels.

After a promising start I was somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed.

Parts of the series seemed to be a showcase for the dancing which, whilst impressive and entertaining, did nothing for the storyline and was really just a distraction.

Some of the acting and dialogue was a little dodgy as well. If you’ve never been on it (bad luck, it was a great great but no longer there) this won’t mean anything to you but, imagine the gangster that takes over the tour on Walt Disney Worlds Great Movie Ride.

On 04/07/2020 at 07:34, Gaspode said:

Just noticed that BBC2 repeated Marvellous on Wednesday - well worth a watch for anyone who hasn’t seen it. Tells the true story of Neil Baldwin - a man tagged at school with “learning difficulties” who then went on to become a Circus Clown, Lay Preacher, unofficial student greeter at Keele University and Stoke City kit man. 

It’s a strange mix of fantasy, musical and biopic with a tremendous performance from Toby Jones playing Neil. On iPlayer for the next month....

Just watched it again and enjoyed it just as much as the first time around. Well worth a watch for anyone that hasn't seen it. 

Black and British is an excellent history series currently on Iplayer. Well worth a watch

“Historian David Olusoga explores Britain's history, examining the country's relationship with people of African descent. Throughout the documentary Olusoga visits historically significant sites and erects 20 plaques over Britain, Africa and the Caribbean to commemorate events and people. Beginning with the arrival of North African Roman soldiers in the 3rd century AD, Olusoga discusses Britain's first known African community in Burgh-by-Sands, Cumbria. Other episodes document the role of the African trumpeter in the Tudor Courts and Queen Victoria's relationship with her African goddaughter”

McMafia - English /Russian mafia drama. 

Not sure of the consensus...but I was pleasantly surprised. James Norton is constantly in an immaculate suit regardless of time /place (Ray Donovan style) and he sorta reminded me of Laurence Fox. 

High quality cast with lots of nice settings and scenery.  Engaging enough and relatively believable. 

Nowhere near as grimy, captivating and engrossing as Gomorrah nor as brutal and visceral as Gangs of London... not 'frothy' but definitely mainstream and a good watch nonetheless. 

A guilty pleasure of mine, considering I detest most reality TV, I thoroughly enjoy Undercover Girlfriends. Basically 5 lads go on holiday thinking its part of a programme about relationships and their girlfriends are on a holiday doing similar, but the girls are in a villa up the road spying and plotting missions. Fascinating viewing. 

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

A guilty pleasure of mine, considering I detest most reality TV, I thoroughly enjoy Undercover Girlfriends. Basically 5 lads go on holiday thinking its part of a programme about relationships and their girlfriends are on a holiday doing similar, but the girls are in a villa up the road spying and plotting missions. Fascinating viewing. 

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

14 minutes ago, sage said:

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

ya gotta mix it up bruv. Season 2 was in Rhodes, with trips to Faliraki. It's car-crash TV at it's best. A bunch of gym-addict boys who have already been unfaithful, being spied on by their low self-esteemed birds trying to catch them cheating. Give it a go.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

ya gotta mix it up bruv. Season 2 was in Rhodes, with trips to Faliraki. It's car-crash TV at it's best. A bunch of gym-addict boys who have already been unfaithful, being spied on by their low self-esteemed birds trying to catch them cheating. Give it a go.

sad face GIF

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ban?

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Season 2....! 

You are binge watching it. I feel dirty... 

My missus watches Love Island and tries to convince me its a really deep analysis of the human psyche. Occasionally I will let her convince me to watch it and then the vitriol erupts and she hurriedly agrees its good we can enjoy different things. 

Edited by Chester40

Just finishing off season 6 of The Americans. By and large, I have found it interesting but not totally compelling. The Memsahib, on the other hand, loves it.

We go our separate ways after around 11:00 pm - she adjourns to the jigsaw table and I settle down to watch a couple of episodes of Dark. I can thoroughly recommend this very, er, dark... German Sci Fi series.

35 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Season 2....! 

You are binge watching it. I feel dirty... 

My missus watches Love Island and tries to convince me its a really deep analysis of the human psyche. Occasionally I will let her convince me to watch it and then the vitriol erupts and she hurriedly agrees its good we can enjoy different things. 

No, i watched S1 a few years back with the ex. I’ve just had to swap my SkyQ box cos of software issues. I went through recordings to make a list of things to find/record on the replacement box. Stumbled across the recordings and as it was morning, no cricket or golf was on, I spent a few hours watching. It did make me realise how old and out of touch I am, but to add, it said season 2 was aired about 2 yrs ago. 

Id deffo watch a season 3 if it existed