Watchable telly

dog

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Just noticed that BBC2 repeated Marvellous on Wednesday - well worth a watch for anyone who hasn’t seen it. Tells the true story of Neil Baldwin - a man tagged at school with “learning difficulties” who then went on to become a Circus Clown, Lay Preacher, unofficial student greeter at Keele University and Stoke City kit man. 

It’s a strange mix of fantasy, musical and biopic with a tremendous performance from Toby Jones playing Neil. On iPlayer for the next month....

Well worth a watch. It is indeed Marvellous. ? 

Finished the second season of Homecoming on Amazon Prime.

A bit like the first season, pretty good without hitting the heights.

Also there are only 7 episodes and they're not much more than half an hour each.

Started Informer that I was surprised being a BBC made cop/terrorist thriller series and set in London I hadn't heard of.

But looks like it wasn't on over here until Prime picked it up.

Two episodes in and very good.

Anybody seen it?

On 04/07/2020 at 12:24, Bob The Badger said:

Finished the second season of Homecoming on Amazon Prime.

A bit like the first season, pretty good without hitting the heights.

Also there are only 7 episodes and they're not much more than half an hour each.

Started Informer that I was surprised being a BBC made cop/terrorist thriller series and set in London I hadn't heard of.

But looks like it wasn't on over here until Prime picked it up.

Two episodes in and very good.

Anybody seen it?

Yeah I really liked Informer. Felt pretty realistic for most of it too.

Finished "Little fires everywhere" last night (Prime Video)

Enjoyed this a lot. I thought it went off a little in the middle - it was in danger of sinking to soap opera type storylines but it really picked up again with a devastating and satisfying ending.

19 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Finished "Little fires everywhere" last night (Prime Video)

Enjoyed this a lot. I thought it went off a little in the middle - it was in danger of sinking to soap opera type storylines but it really picked up again with a devastating and satisfying ending.

Rees Witherspoon is very talented. 

She really gets to the hub of human frailty. 

Finished series 1 of the Fargo anthology having got about 4 episodes in 3 or 4 years ago. Don't know why I abandoned it. Superb. Billy Bob Thornton is absolutely captivating as a psycho hitman and the supporting cast are all great once you get past Martin Freeman's accent. 

I don't know who directed the episodes, but they've got the Coen Brothers touches nailed.

Series 2 took an episode and a half to get adjusted to but well into that now. 

On 05/07/2020 at 18:33, Eddie said:

3 series of "The Americans" now done and dusted on Prime, 3 series to go.

Some episodes are lame, but some are really superb. Overall, pretty good - thanks, @Mostyn6

Someone , on here I think, recommended that to me, and said something like, if you can get through the first couple of series, it's well worth sticking with. 

I found the opposite. Really enjoyed the first 3, then thought it went downhill a bit in the 4th. 

Gave up completely about half way through the 5th series. 

14 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Finished series 1 of the Fargo anthology having got about 4 episodes in 3 or 4 years ago. Don't know why I abandoned it. Superb. Billy Bob Thornton is absolutely captivating as a psycho hitman and the supporting cast are all great once you get past Martin Freeman's accent. 

I don't know who directed the episodes, but they've got the Coen Brothers touches nailed.

All seasons are great, all different but very much the same thing.

Yeh BBT is chilling. The scene where Colin Hanks let him go was brilliant. I'm damn sure cops do do things like that when they fear for their own safety. 

Freemans accent sounded ridiculous. But so does everyone's from that part of the country so I'm not so sure it was bad per se. It's a very weird accent and I don't think I even knew it existed till I moved here. 

On 05/07/2020 at 19:44, Mostyn6 said:

Not me Uncle Edd. I recommended Patriot. 

Ah, right. We watched that, and it was brilliant - thanks. It must have been someone posting "If you liked Patriot, you'll probably like...."

Series 3 is also brilliant and has David Thewlis in an equally chilling baddie role

12 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I found the opposite. Really enjoyed the first 3, then thought it went downhill a bit in the 4th. 

Gave up completely about half way through the 5th series. 

It did start to get a bit ridiculous. Especially as it was, to all intents and purposes, based on a true story - or at least the bones of one. But if you actually read interviews with people who had that role as cold war sleeper agents in the US - they say it was nothing like that intense. Very low level activity for the most part and infrequent. The Americans has them engaging in full on treacherous acts of espionage every other day (which no one seems to notice!). All for the purposes of drama of course, but it's no good when they start to make the realistic so implausible.

17 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Have you seen the film? That’s pretty good also.

On 04/07/2020 at 07:56, TexasRam said:

Now watching Killing Eve, and have to say Villanelle is probably and even better character than Walter White. She’s an absolute psycho   

First season was brilliant. I think it lost its way a bit afterwards. Loved Jody Comer's accent, when you hear her normal Liverpool accent.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Ah, right. We watched that, and it was brilliant - thanks. It must have been someone posting "If you liked Patriot, you'll probably like...."

I'm gonna have to watch that too as @Mostyn6's recommendations are usually spot on.

Started season 6 of Bosch other night. You start each season wondering where it might go, and by the time the great music starts for the end of the episode, you are hooked again.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

First season was brilliant. I think it lost its way a bit afterwards. Loved Jody Comer's accent, when you hear her normal Liverpool accent.

Her range of accents is very impressive. Didn’t realise she was a scouser!