Watchable telly

dog

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Anybody dived into This Town yet?

Two episodes in and it's starting to warm up gently. The lead characters accent is truly awful and it's easy to just let the whole thing become a nostalgia ride but there's a lot of plot in there to work through and I do hope it keeps developing.

35 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Two episodes in and it's starting to warm up gently. The lead characters accent is truly awful and it's easy to just let the whole thing become a nostalgia ride but there's a lot of plot in there to work through and I do hope it keeps developing.

We're almost at the same place and a bit disappointed at this stage.

Largely because the music isn't the kind of stuff I was listening to I was hugely into the Two Tone thing, but that was coming to an end by 1981.

Not at all given up because there's promise, but the whole Over the Rainbow segment was flat-out weird.

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We're almost at the same place and a bit disappointed at this stage.

Largely because the music isn't the kind of stuff I was listening to I was hugely into the Two Tone thing, but that was coming to an end by 1981.

Not at all given up because there's promise, but the whole Over the Rainbow segment was flat-out weird.

I think they've not done themselves any favours by setting the whole series up as being about Two Tone. It isn't really, it's about living in the early 1980s in Birmingham. Very little of the content actually relates to the band, unless this is some strange and weird set up. Once I stopped seeing it as a bit of a ska version of The Commitments it became a more interesting watch. Definitely not disappointed yet.

I finished The Gentlemen on Netflix last night

First two episodes were witty and take you back to the days of Lock, Stock and Snatch. Then it takes a bit of a drop and isn't really very funny or very good again. Bit of a letdown. Watchable only because the first two grab your interest 

So I thought I'd go back and check who directed the first two. Those are the only two by Guy Ritchie. Felt a bit short changed. 

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Anybody dived into This Town yet? 

Toying with giving it a go tonight or going back and giving The Gone another go based on @Premier ram bigging it up.

Got two thirds of the way through episode one and gave it up.  Very impatient i know but I hate wasting time on stuff i'm not gripped by when there is much out there to get through

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Gave up on Ted Lasso part way through Season 2. It just got really, really awful.

Started watching Loudermilk on Netflix last night instead. A comedy about a misanthropic ex-alcoholic trying to counsel others. Looks OK so far, but we shall see

The scene in the coffee shop where they're arguing about ball-tickling was brilliant. 

I only watched episode one and then moved on to CYE as our comedy, so I will go back to that once CYE ends

Agree about Ted Lasso. We made it into season 3, but it had gone off a cliff way before we got out. The first season was good, but you just cannot maintain the idea. Him getting the lingo wrong 3 years into the job was preposterous. 

I loved Ted Lasso. Not sure why folk keep singling it out to be slated. I think it was a comfy pair of slippers for folk when they needed it (lockdown / Covid / the aftermath) and it's harmless enough even if you don't take the the characters. An 8.8 IMDB score tells its own tale, even if it's not for everybody.

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I loved Ted Lasso. Not sure why folk keep singling it out to be slated. I think it was a comfy pair of slippers for folk when they needed it (lockdown / Covid / the aftermath) and it's harmless enough even if you don't take the the characters. An 8.8 IMDB score tells its own tale, even if it's not for everybody.

Yeah it's weird - I really enjoyed the first season, but as it went on it became a LOT cheesier and the writing seemed to take a nose dive. As Bob said - how many times can the joke be - "oh the English have a different word for this"?

Once I realised it was essentially "a US TV show about an imaginary England" and not a British sitcom, I just got a bit bored

That said - the fact that there are millions of Yanks who think that is what life is like in an English Premier League team makes me chuckle though (and that people walk around London actually talking to strangers in the street!)

5 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agree with that, it had good closure and a 'rise - fall - rise again' story was always going to take three seasons. They did well to stop it when they did and most of the comments about it dropping in quality only really came about as soon as we knew it was ending. 

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Agree with that, it had good closure and a 'rise - fall - rise again' story was always going to take three seasons. They did well to stop it when they did and most of the comments about it dropping in quality only really came about as soon as we knew it was ending. 

I think it was quite brave of them to end it as they were obviously making serious shekels both here and in the UK. Jason Sudeikis was, I think, keen not to outstay his welcome so to speak and I think the most of the cast were gutted when it was made clear that there'd be no season 4. I saw them interviewed and it's clear how much fun they had making it as it is very silly, but in a enjoyable way. That said, it was the right decision, but I do miss some of the characters. It's just fluff, of course, but it was fun and did not take itself remotely and I found it quite endearing. Unusual for me as I typically hate sitcoms.

On 29/03/2024 at 09:18, Elwood P Dowd said:

I'm watching The 3 Body Problem I'm about 6 episodes in and just beginning to understand what its about................I think 🤨 

Just finished reading the first volume of the trilogy - no surprise that it won the Hugo award. Spellbinding.

I'll start the TV series tonight.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Just finished reading the first volume of the trilogy - no surprise that it won the Hugo award. Spellbinding.

I'll start the TV series tonight.

Having not read the novels, it's hard to know how well it has translated to film, but I really enjoyed the series. Some of the reviews on IMDB seemed to suggest it was hard to fathom, but I don't really get that. It does require a little attention, but no more than that. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Just finished This Town.

It grew on me a lot, and I'd be surprised if they didn't make another season. I hope they do, as there are some intriguing options to take storylines.

I was very much into the whole Two Tone thing, and the attention to detail was really impressive.

I think it would look confusing or even unrealistic for some people who didn't go to gigs around then. But it really was a strange mix of mods, skinheads, rude boys, punks and the like. Almost every gig I went to at the time ended up in fighting between mods and skinheads, especially at gigs by The Jam.

As a couple of side notes, am I the only one who thinks Dante looks a lot like a young Cassius Clay? And that both Robbie and Gregory were trying to be Tommy Shelby?

After a pondering start, a solid 8/10 for episodes 4,5 and 6 and it left me wanting more - which is what a good series should do.

On 06/04/2024 at 14:38, Comrade 86 said:

Having not read the novels, it's hard to know how well it has translated to film, but I really enjoyed the series. Some of the reviews on IMDB seemed to suggest it was hard to fathom, but I don't really get that. It does require a little attention, but no more than that. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

The Netflix offering (I've only watched 2 episodes so far) is following the structure of the first few chapters reasonably closely although looking at the cast list, I suspect that it will become quite Anglicised in comparison later.

I look forward to plenty of nanofibre and quantum entanglement mayhem tomorrow, I guess.

The series seems to be just based upon the first novel (scope for subsequent series?) - and it's got a lot to live up to. I honestly cannot think of a better Sci-Fi book I've read in the last 25 years.

The Stable on iplayer. 

Behind the scenes of Shane McGuigan's gym and fighters. Probably filmed last summer. 

I know the CBS story but not the other boxers featured so come the various fight nights I didn't know the results. 

Oddly I'd never watched any of Fargo, save for the original Coen brothers movie. Blitzed series 1 last week and loved it, but S02 seems to be a mile off it.

Worth continuing or did it peak at S01?