Ones That Got Away

Coneheadjohn

• 2 weeks later...

With the game against West Ham imminent, I'm reminded of another sliding doors moment for the Rams. Michail Antonio refuses to play for the Gumps to try to force through his move to Pride Park, but sadly he was unsuccessful and ended up at West Ham down the line.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/nottingham-forest-leave-antonio-out-after-unsettling-derby-county-bid-4091670

"'We received a bid from Derby which we rejected,’ Freedman said. ‘We had discussions with Michail over the last 24 hours and felt he wasn’t right. I won’t say any more."

What might have been? He was just emerging as a fabulous player.

On 14/01/2023 at 12:08, Poynton ram said:

Eidur Gudjohnsen- not sure whether there was much in this but am sure in the Jim Smith era he was linked. 

On 14/01/2023 at 13:46, Reggie Greenwood said:

If I recall correctly Bolton wanted 500k we offered 400k and we ended up with Lars Bohinen instead ?

We offered £4.5m and they wanted £6m.

They later sold him to Chelsea for £4.5m.

Similar tale to Watkins

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, tinman said:

He signed for Orient in January ‘22

Yes he had been injured and he was out of contract in June and was allowed to leave early for free. 

In my eyes, given that he just made 30 odd starts for the league two winners and is now in the same division as Derby id classify that as a player for the academy that derby invested in that left for free, he is “one that (potentially) got away”. No?

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

Jimmy Greaves…………….on not signing for Brian Clough…

Oh, [I retired] far too young. To be honest, it was that I was a bit fed up with the West Ham situation. I should have gone to Derby County. Brian [Clough] wanted me and really I wish I had gone.

“One of the great things I would have loved to have done was play under The Governer, The Man.

“He’s just got a magic and an aura that’s around him that very few others have. His record stands for itself. He’s done things no other managers have done.

“He’s done things slightly differently. He’s an extrovert, saying what he thinks, telling people this, that, and the other. Having the guts and the courage to be in there pitching and battling.

“To me the man is the greatest and that’s the end of it. I’d have loved to have played underneath him.”

A forward line of Hector, O’Hare and Greaves does have a certain ring about it. 🐏

On 14/01/2023 at 13:46, Reggie Greenwood said:

If I recall correctly Bolton wanted 500k we offered 400k and we ended up with Lars Bohinen instead ?

We offered £5m but they wanted £6m then sold him to Chelsea for £4.5m.

Very similar to the Ollie Watkins story.

I've heard the Baggio story from a few reliable sources - agent wanted another £500k or £1m to complete the deal but the deal with the player himself was agreed.

Yakubu was a work permit issue. Signed for Portsmouth a few months later.

Eidur Gudjohnsen and Petit were also true. We got gazumped on both but apparently we gazumped Arsenal on Asanovic.

I was at the Mickleover Court hotel (having a drink, rather than working there!) when TBE was signing Fuertes. He looked sensational in his double bleach denim (Fuertes, not TBE).

Carbonari was also a big fan of the double bleach denim. Argies eh...