Ones That Got Away

Coneheadjohn

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

Dunno about you lot, but I feel a bit sick every time Ollie Watkins scores. Exeter trying to demand an extra chunk of cash assuming we'd blindly cough it up, then accepting a lower bid from Brentford when we wouldn't. Assuming I'm remembering this even vaguely accurately, of course.

That was our own stupid fault though (well, Mel's)  as by that point we'd already shown ourselves to be a club who'd pay well in advance of a player's worth just to secure their signature over another team.

Exeter did the right thing to try it on, and I don't think they've got any regrets about getting a lower fee, considering how things panned out - they've pocketed a whole load extra money (over £3.3m) from sell on clauses and such which, let's be honest, they probably would never have seen if he came here.

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-sell-next-ollie-5230369

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

Dunno about you lot, but I feel a bit sick every time Ollie Watkins scores. Exeter trying to demand an extra chunk of cash assuming we'd blindly cough it up, then accepting a lower bid from Brentford when we wouldn't. Assuming I'm remembering this even vaguely accurately, of course.

Worked out well though, we got Nick Blackman for about the same fee!!

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

At the same time we were in for Emmanuel Petit, we were also bidding for David Ginola and both were seen near Pride Park. Same as Petit we couldn’t meet the wage demands. I would have loved Ginolsa weaving his magic for us!

On 05/10/2018 at 11:05, BaaLocks said:

But seriously, I do like questions like these - of course the alternative also applies, which are the ones we are glad got away.

Let's not do the ones we wish had got away (Claude, Fagan) or even the ones we wish hadn't got away (Will, Huddlestone). Blimey, enough to make your head hurt......

The Ones That Got Away:

- Kodeja

- Nugent (2008)

- Kazimeyra Deyna (we were rumoured to have been after him in the seventies, that would have been fantastic)

- Daniel Passarella (another one that we were after in the seventies)

The Ones We Are Glad Got Away

- Gary McSheffrey (we apparently bid something like £6m for him - ouch!)

- Ian Storey Moore (wouldn't have added much)

- Roberto Baggio (glory signing but showed he would have been way past it)

Im pretty sure roberto bagio went to bologna instead and absolutely ripped it up alongside big kennet anderson … got him a move back to one of the big guns the following year… want to say inter but i could be wrong 

On 20/05/2023 at 19:46, PistoldPete said:

Craig Short chose us over Blackburn. Shame Sherwood didn’t do likewise. 

That was massive, sherwood was a bloody brilliant signing for rovers .. apparently we we we’re well in for him 

he wanted to play for kenny

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

That was massive, sherwood was a bloody brilliant signing for rovers .. apparently we we we’re well in for him 

he wanted to play for kenny

I was listening to a podcast with him a few years ago.

He was going to sign for us but Blackburn sold him the dream. So he was going to phone Arthur saying he was joining Blackburn instead.

Arthur rang him first and said “if you were my son I’d be telling you to sign for Blackburn”.

Bad for us but… class.

On 19/05/2023 at 19:44, DavesaRam said:

At the same time we were in for Emmanuel Petit, we were also bidding for David Ginola and both were seen near Pride Park. Same as Petit we couldn’t meet the wage demands. I would have loved Ginolsa weaving his magic for us!

Aye, those were the days when I wished I'd invested in barbecues and patio furniture.

On 19/05/2023 at 19:44, DavesaRam said:

And magicking his weave!

IMG_1213.jpeg