Ones That Got Away

Coneheadjohn

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

But seriously, I do like questions like these - of course the alternative also applies, which are the ones we are glad got away.

Let's not do the ones we wish had got away (Claude, Fagan) or even the ones we wish hadn't got away (Will, Huddlestone). Blimey, enough to make your head hurt......

The Ones That Got Away:

- Kodeja

- Nugent (2008)

- Kazimeyra Deyna (we were rumoured to have been after him in the seventies, that would have been fantastic)

- Daniel Passarella (another one that we were after in the seventies)

The Ones We Are Glad Got Away

- Gary McSheffrey (we apparently bid something like £6m for him - ouch!)

- Ian Storey Moore (wouldn't have added much)

- Roberto Baggio (glory signing but showed he would have been way past it)

Thats very harsh. We were rumoured to be interested in him but opted for Baiano instead. 

Baggio signed for Bologna and played for another 7 years and played in the 98 World Cup scoring goals along the way. 

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Croat international goalkeeper, John Gregory was after him around the same time as Yakubu.

Eric Steele tells a good story about going to scout him for Villa and how all transfers from Croatia had to go through a 'Mr. Big' and what they offered Eric as hospitality (Eric, being an utter gent refused obviously)

8 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Thats very harsh. We were rumoured to be interested in him but opted for Baiano instead. 

Baggio signed for Bologna and played for another 7 years and played in the 98 World Cup scoring goals along the way. 

Fair point - I stand corrected.....

2 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Eric Steele tells a good story about going to scout him for Villa and how all transfers from Croatia had to go through a 'Mr. Big' and what they offered Eric as hospitality (Eric, being an utter gent refused obviously)

Wonder if it was Zdravko Mamic?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/07/how-luka-modric-and-dejan-lovren-got-caught-up-in-croatian-corruption-world-cup-football

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Emanuel Petit before he joined Arsenal.

Jim Smiths autobiograph said we was him for him and Baggio - OTT wage demands made us walk away from the deal.

You’re  right,I forgot all about that one.

If I could give out a bonus point for that I would(even though it would mean absolutely bugger all).

Edited by coneheadjohn

I'm hoping somebody can back me up here because I'm not sure it was ever public knowledge, but at the time my old man was friendly with a number of the directors and they made a run at Johan Cruyff to grab him before he went to the USA after  leaving Barca.

And somebody mentioned Ray Houghton. That was more than he rumor, he gave Derby a verbal 'yes' before Liverpool stepped in.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

I'm hoping somebody can back me up here because I'm not sure it was ever public knowledge, but at the time my old man was friendly with a number of the directors and they made a run at Johan Cruyff to grab him before he went to the USA after  leaving Barca.

And somebody mentioned Ray Houghton. That was more than he rumor, he gave Derby a verbal 'yes' before Liverpool stepped in.

There were certainly discussions back in 88/89 for Cruyff to come in as manager.  I believe that summer we also made moves to bring in Wise and Townsend as well as Houghton . 

9 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

You’re  right,I forgot all about that one.

If I could give out a bonus point for that I would(even though it would mean absolutely bugger all).

Think that one went to the wire - Baggio waiting to sign in Italy but Derby wouldn't budge on a last minute one off payment.  Think Petit was a done deal till Wenger realised and came in last minute, he was actually in the country and on his way here. .  Could be worse though Jim Smith had Maradona on trial - at Birmingham I believe - and sent him home because he was too small .