Ones That Got Away

Coneheadjohn

Duncan mckenzie

as soon as brian clough heard that dave mackay wanted mckenzie for derby, he nipped in and signed him for leeds.

duncan mckenzie and charlie george up front could have been mind blowing.

Jeff Powell's biography of Bobby Moore tells the story of Brian Clough approaching Bobby in the summer of 1973, Moore wanted to sign for Derby and although Clough got his verbal agreement Ron Greenwood and West Ham denied him the move. Apparently Derby bid £400,000 for a joint Bobby Moore and Trevor Booking deal.

21 hours ago, Papahet said:

Emanuel Petit before he joined Arsenal.

Jim Smiths autobiograph said we was him for him and Baggio - OTT wage demands made us walk away from the deal.

Yes Jim made some joke about checking that he still had the rings on his fingers after he shock his hand

Remember us being linked to two players from South American clubs when we got promoted to the prem last time round. One played for River Plate and the other Uruguay's Nacional...

Think they were called Falcao and Godin or something like that, wonder what ever happened to them?

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There were certainly discussions back in 88/89 for Cruyff to come in as manager.  I believe that summer we also made moves to bring in Wise and Townsend as well as Houghton . 

Wise was definitely on their radar, but I honestly can't remember about Townsend. And this was way before the managerial rumblings, I'm going back to late 70's, I think.

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

Troy Deeney.

I don't know how serious the link ever was but i remember reading about our interest in him (while Watford were still in the Championship) and I thought he would be the man to get us up. Sadly he was the man to get Watford up.

Yep,Mac I think.He would have been a great signing.

Something like 9 million was rumoured?

We should never deal with Watford again.

• 4 years later...

Old thread, but I just saw a letter signed by General Secretary Stuart Webb and dated March 1979, how Derby County Football Club Limited was interested of arranging trial with Finnish footballing legend Atik Ismail. As those days were before my time, I've only heard how darn good he was.

Unfortunately from Derby's part, he spoke only two words of English (yes and no) and decided against the move to England. Here's his short English wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atik_Ismail and only half decent video clip of his winning goal against Liverpool 1982. That Pool team was quite impressive at the time wtih Rush, Dalglish, Souness & co:

x

On 09/10/2018 at 19:30, Dethorn said:

What was the name of the South American striker who was sent away with work permit problems?

And what happened to him ?

I want to say Feurtes - but that might be wrong

Esteban Fuertes or translated to Steven Strong; it wasn't work permit issues but actually he'd bought his passport off a geezer who had a good photocopier  and an Ink Stamp