What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

1 hour ago, therams69 said:

As SP has touched on … I am afraid you are wrong on that. Nowadays a players professional attitude is also brought into the equation. Not just about being a decent footballer. How they conduct themselves is important. It shows willingness, botheredness,, attitude, commitment etc etc …

If he is house hunting on a Saturday afternoon for example do you think he is arsed about being with the lads? Should we not discuss that? Does it matter? Of course it matters. Being on his phone all game whilst a game is on? Should it matter? Of course it should.

If you were a manager with lots of talent at a club (which we have), would you be thinking to yourself, yes I am picking him next week. He looks well up for it. Of course you wouldn't.

In my opinion he isn't good enough. He is certainly way behind in the midfield positions available. Would love him to prove me wrong though but just cannot see it.

John Terry watched Chelsea instead of Villa when he was injured 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned in another thread, but it's been announced recently that he's going to be a father.

This is the first concrete piece of information on “what’s happening with George Thorne” in 51 pages.

10 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned in another thread, but it's been announced recently that he's going to be a father.

How very dare he?!?! First he's looking at his phone, then he went on holiday, now he's making babies with his Mrs and all while employed at Derby. Nothing short of shameful if you ask me...

9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

How very dare he?!?! First he's looking at his phone, then he went on holiday, now he's making babies with his Mrs and all while employed at Derby. Nothing short of shameful if you ask me...

I agree. Let's bash him some more until he gets the message

12 hours ago, therams69 said:

As SP has touched on … I am afraid you are wrong on that. Nowadays a players professional attitude is also brought into the equation. Not just about being a decent footballer. How they conduct themselves is important. It shows willingness, botheredness,, attitude, commitment etc etc …

If he is house hunting on a Saturday afternoon for example do you think he is arsed about being with the lads? Should we not discuss that? Does it matter? Of course it matters. Being on his phone all game whilst a game is on? Should it matter? Of course it should.

If you were a manager with lots of talent at a club (which we have), would you be thinking to yourself, yes I am picking him next week. He looks well up for it. Of course you wouldn't.

In my opinion he isn't good enough. He is certainly way behind in the midfield positions available. Would love him to prove me wrong though but just cannot see it.

I'm with @HorsforthRam on this. George isn't a fan, he's an employee. He doesn't need to be there cheering on the team if he's not available for selection. He's probably been told/asked to attend but the fact he's there on his phone shouldn't matter to anyone at all. Why should it? It's not going to affect what's happening on the pitch in any way.

It's not a question of "being arsed" to go an watch others play. If he's not required in the 18 and not required by the club to do anything in a promotional/ambassadorial sense he's welcome to do what he wants with his Saturday afternoon.

None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. If he's been told he's out of the picture and his time here is up, I'd imagine the last place on earth I'd want to be on game day is watching a team I'm never going to play for. If he's been told he's still in the picture, then do your work on the training game and for the U23s. That's when as a manager you would judge where he's "well up for it". I doubt Lampard notices or cares during a game whether his non-selected players are hanging on every kick.

I agree that how you conduct yourself as a footballer is really important. But that's more about how you behave with the public and on a night out. If he's gone out and got pissed and started a fight, then he opens himself up to everything that's coming his way. But I think it's harsh to criticise that you've attended a game and are looking at your phone (along with several other people around you no doubt).

23 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm with @HorsforthRam on this. George isn't a fan, he's an employee. He doesn't need to be there cheering on the team if he's not available for selection. He's probably been told/asked to attend but the fact he's there on his phone shouldn't matter to anyone at all. Why should it? It's not going to affect what's happening on the pitch in any way.

It's not a question of "being arsed" to go an watch others play. If he's not required in the 18 and not required by the club to do anything in a promotional/ambassadorial sense he's welcome to do what he wants with his Saturday afternoon.

None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. If he's been told he's out of the picture and his time here is up, I'd imagine the last place on earth I'd want to be on game day is watching a team I'm never going to play for. If he's been told he's still in the picture, then do your work on the training game and for the U23s. That's when as a manager you would judge where he's "well up for it". I doubt Lampard notices or cares during a game whether his non-selected players are hanging on every kick.

I agree that how you conduct yourself as a footballer is really important. But that's more about how you behave with the public and on a night out. If he's gone out and got pissed and started a fight, then he opens himself up to everything that's coming his way. But I think it's harsh to criticise that you've attended a game and are looking at your phone (along with several other people around you no doubt).

Okay first point … If he has been told / asked to attend he should be there, end of.

Second point … Being on his phone. For this game he was part of the squad but not selected in the matchday squad. He was required to be there and did a warm down after game. I was more making the point of a culture problem at this time. He should be supporting the players on the pitch and taking an interest into how they are getting on. He wasn't as i have already stated. No its probably not going to affect what is going on, on the pitch, but if i was a fellow team mate playing and happened to see him not arsed watching the game it doesn't bode well for team morale imho. Bear in mind, Brentford is a ground where this can be seen by the players on the pitch, not high  up in the stands. We (and i use that term lightly being the biggest stakeholder in the club) are paying him to represent our club. Would you employee someone to spend all their time on the phone. Especially considering the wages they are on these days.

Third point … Some of us do know what's going on behind the scenes with various forum members posting good information. I disagree on your point of Lampard caring about his non selected players hanging on every kick. Lamps has made it clear the door is not shut for any of these lot. Being around the place and showing you want to be part of it will show him a lot.

Fourth point … He is no Jeff Hendrick LOL!

44 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I disagree with this.

If, as I suspect he is still wanting to be here and fight for his place then he should be showing willing.

Even if he isn't and he as you said "Is just an employee" - then sorry if he is being paid then he should do as he is told.

I don't know what employment you are in, but if it is run where you can just do as you please then it is not a good business.

Players are paid large wages at any level in context with your average man on the street so they should carry out their duty.

As for him not influencing any thing on the pitch!! again I disagree. I am sure there are junior and some senior players who might look up to him as a role model and if they see him showing an interest and encouraging players, that means a lot. If he can't be arsed then this will show too.

I feel all players in a squad should be present at all home games (health and family permitting)

Team unity is a must, so I am sure he is doing his very best to get into what could be a very good championship side which has eyes on bigger things.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I disagree with this.

If, as I suspect he is still wanting to be here and fight for his place then he should be showing willing.

Even if he isn't and he as you said "Is just an employee" - then sorry if he is being paid then he should do as he is told.

I don't know what employment you are in, but if it is run where you can just do as you please then it is not a good business.

Players are paid large wages at any level in context with your average man on the street so they should carry out their duty.

As for him not influencing any thing on the pitch!! again I disagree. I am sure there are junior and some senior players who might look up to him as a role model and if they see him showing an interest and encouraging players, that means a lot. If he can't be arsed then this will show too.

I feel all players in a squad should be present at all home games (health and family permitting)

Team unity is a must, so I am sure he is doing his very best to get into what could be a very good championship side which has eyes on bigger things.

No issue with your post mate, but unless you're a Daily Mirror journalist try to correctly quote me if you're going to disagree! Inserting one word can alter the meaning of a sentence if people wish to read it a particular way. 

I'm interested to know that if being there isn't enough, what level of interest George should show in the game. Watching is ok, but how intently. What if he doesn't jump up when we score? Is smiling deemed to be not taking it seriously enough? 

I jest of course; only my way of highlighting what I think is making a mountain out of a molehill. 

On 12/09/2018 at 20:45, therams69 said:

And in my opinion, both George and Butters are way ahead of Bryson and Johnson in terms of ability. But it’s easier for you to be proven correct when FL has no interest in giving either a chance. Whilst Bryson, despite the twitter feed constantly finding itself up his backside with goals from five years ago is playing bang averagely this season and Johnson is just Johnson, he offers very little I’m afraid. One can only assume they are amazing in training.

All opinions though. I will repeat however, why aren’t the local press asking about Thorne and Butterfield? I notice they have squad numbers but weren’t on the squad photos yesterday. 

Bizarre.

Agreed,Bryson has been a good servant but isn't particularly doing anything which justifies his place in starting 11. Either Bryson or Mount to play, not both. Johnson is very inconsistent and ball playing ability very poor, maybe a better fit with mount though. I just don't get how Ledley is getting game time in front of Thorne in holding midfield role though, Huddlestone maybe, but definitely not Ledley, even if Thorne playing on one leg?

Archived