What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

I think of all the 13/14 Wembley 11 left in the current squad he is the one we all would want to get back to where he was, especially with still only being 25. However I think he knows this which in turn I would think pressurises the situation. A loan out until jan would have been perfect for him to go off the spotlight slightly

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

There was a player at Arsenal, can't remember his name, who had a stress fracture of the patella. He was calmly walking along the street one day when his kneecap suddenly split into two pieces, which is quite traumatic.

He got over the injury all right but he spent most of his waking hours worrying about when his kneecap would break again.

Lots of phsycology for them. Years ago I spiked an eye on a Christmas tree pine needle when messing underneath it with plugs and lights. I still flinch and scrunch my eyes closed when I do the same thing now. ... That instinctive reaction in a sportsman takes away his cutting edge. I was so so pleased when Fozzie came on against Preston and right at the end he hammered in to a tackle to put the ball out, right underneath where I was sitting .. full on, leg outstretched, instant and nothing held back. I thought then “you’ve beaten a demon there mate”

Come on George .. we know you can do it, we know what a player you are and, slightly selfishly; how you are made for this team. 

7 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I agree with Jono, I think he would be the ideal CDM in Lampards set up. He must be seeing a sports psychologist if this is the problem. Surely the club could get Steve Peters to give him a series of sessions, he has worked wonders with several top sportsman.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Lots of phsycology for them. Years ago I spiked an eye on a Christmas tree pine needle when messing underneath it with plugs and lights. I still flinch and scrunch my eyes closed when I do the same thing now. ... That instinctive reaction in a sportsman takes away his cutting edge.

I agree - If it's that

I've already speculated elsewhere it could be/have been depressing or a number of other mental health issues - I would guess that's what it was for Shaw too as he didn't look like the same person never mind footballer a lot of the time over the past few years

I think none of us know what the issue is - And we probably shouldn't suppose solutions - I have faith that the club will do the right thing by the person and hopefully that will lead to the right thing for the player

I would love to see him back to his best but unfortunately that seems like a million miles away! i hope he can get through whatever it is hes going through whether its physical or mental, I think a loan would be his best bet at the moment let him go out get some games and build some self confidence and come back ready to fight for his place in better nick than hes in currently. Im sure Frank and the staff are trying to do whats best for him and his career. wish the lad all the best.

Brilliant listen on 5 live tonight talking about Luke Shaw and his issues following his serious leg break. Stephen Warnock was on air and alluded to time he broke his leg 3 times as a teenager and the mental problems related with getting back to full fitness. He related his experience to what Luke Shaw has gone through but could equally be attributed to GT’s situation. Well worth a listen between 7.30pm & 8pm

20 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

There was a player at Arsenal, can't remember his name, who had a stress fracture of the patella. He was calmly walking along the street one day when his kneecap suddenly split into two pieces, which is quite traumatic.

He got over the injury all right but he spent most of his waking hours worrying about when his kneecap would break again.

Eduardo had a bad injury in 08. Absolutely horrific, many Arsenal players cried because they were in shock. Arsenal were doing brilliantly too at that stage and were keeping up with a Ronaldo inspired Man Utd side in the title race. Arsenal were never the same after that game against Brum.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Eduardo had a bad injury in 08. Absolutely horrific, many Arsenal players cried because they were in shock. Arsenal were doing brilliantly too at that stage and were keeping up with a Ronaldo inspired Man Utd side in the title race. Arsenal were never the same after that game against Brum.

Abou Diaby too. That guy could glide across the pitch at his peak, looked absolutely effortless. Guy could have been one of the best if it wasn't for his persistent injuries.

13 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Gallery pictures of the squad training today didn’t include Thorne, Butterfield or Anya. Pearce was there though.  Continuing to look unlikely that T, B or A will be playing first team football anytime soon.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Max Bird above Thorne in the pecking order.

C'mon guys - We're speculating on motivations at the moment - We have no idea what's going on so probably shouldn't be drawing our own conclusions

If he's had mental health issues around his injuries then putting him back into a high pressure environment might not be the right thing to help him - Letting him train with the u23s makes him part of a squad who he's playing with regularly and over time if he gets his head sorted he could be moved up to the seniors - u23 football at this point might be better for him than a loan move or even being around the senior squad

Again - Just speculation on my part too - But unless we have more substantive information then we probably shouldn't be assuming

22 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

C'mon guys - We're speculating on motivations at the moment - We have no idea what's going on so probably shouldn't be drawing our own conclusions

If he's had mental health issues around his injuries then putting him back into a high pressure environment might not be the right thing to help him - Letting him train with the u23s makes him part of a squad who he's playing with regularly and over time if he gets his head sorted he could be moved up to the seniors - u23 football at this point might be better for him than a loan move or even being around the senior squad

Again - Just speculation on my part too - But unless we have more substantive information then we probably shouldn't be assuming

Agree with this wholeheartedly, I'd love for us Derby fans to forget about him in the first team. Let him play consistently week in week out for the U23's. Rushing him (or any player) back rarely works - be that physical injury or a mental block.

I hereby ban all talk of Gorgeous George until Christmas

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Only if you're listening out for it REALLY hard - If you just ignore it you can't hear anything and it doesn't bother you...

A fit GT could be the most important piece of the jigsaw, it's not like waiting to hear if Marcus Olsson is fit or not.

If he's not going to be part of the plans it would be good to know so everyone can move on. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A fit GT could be the most important piece of the jigsaw, it's not like waiting to hear if Marcus Olsson is fit or not.

If he's not going to be part of the plans it would be good to know so everyone can move on. 

We don't know, they don't know, he doesn't know - Is I imagine the situation - If it's mental health related or even just 'getting his head right' again - He'll be ready if/when he's ready - If he's never going to be ready no-one will know until then either

You can't put a timescale on these things - It's not like a physical injury

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Got to say the silence from GT, the club and DET is deafening 

I don't think there is any mystery.

he's fit. He's playing. He just isn't very impressive, and has slipped down the pecking order.

it costs us everytime he plays so he has to be better than the rest.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I only meant Max Bird was prominent in the first team training pictures while George plays for the U23s. You're the only one speculating here. 

13 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We don't know, they don't know, he doesn't know - Is I imagine the situation - If it's mental health related or even just 'getting his head right' again - He'll be ready if/when he's ready - If he's never going to be ready no-one will know until then either

You can't put a timescale on these things - It's not like a physical injury

My simple assumption was that he isn’t close to being in any first team plans, as for one reason or another he is not yet considered to be at a performance level to merit selection.  You suggesting he may have some mental health issues seems a completely different level of assumption, and one I don’t wish to discuss or be associated with in the absence of facts.

Archived