What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

Is he still injured or is our best player in midfield about to be sold?

I hope not - but if we get George Evans from Reading could this be a sign to sell someone else like Joe Lesley or Jacob Butterfield that in my veuv has played a lot better than I exspected.

I think we should sell Huddlestone and put Thorne in instead, because I can surely renember how good a player he was when he's playing at all cylinders - he was fantastic.

But do you know why he isn't playing ?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, twinthe_12 said:

I hope not - but if we get George Evans from Reading could this be a sign to sell someone else like Joe Lesley or Jacob Butterfield that in my veuv has played a lot better than I exspected.

I think we should sell Huddlestone and put Thorne in instead, because I can surely renember how good a player he was when he's playing at all cylinders - he was fantastic.

Probably due to the fact multiple injuries have reduced his effectiveness at this stage to the point he no longer can claim a place on merit.

God it hurt typing the above sentence, but I think the best we can hope for is a loan where he somehow finds a way to get back to something like his best.

6 minutes ago, twinthe_12 said:

Not fast enough

1 minute ago, irobinson said:

Fitness i can take  - hope that improves

but passing ability....thought you wouldn't lose that

I don't think he has lost that. The technical aspects of a player's game, e.g. passing or finishing etc doesn't really go away. But players decline through time when they lose sharpness, usually due to age. George's performances after his return from the double leg break just unfortunately show just how much sharpness he's lost. When he has time on the ball he's still shown glimpses of his former self, but it's everything else around him that is making him look a worse player than he is.

Talent wise, he should be spending his entire career in the PL. Without injuries, he'd undoubtedly be there. But it's impossible to have so many serious injuries without a huge detrimental impact to your physical and mental performance, and I think it's beyond repair for him at this level of football now sadly.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don't think he has lost that. The technical aspects of a player's game, e.g. passing or finishing etc doesn't really go away. But players decline through time when they lose sharpness, usually due to age. George's performances after his return from the double leg break just unfortunately show just how much sharpness he's lost. When he has time on the ball he's still shown glimpses of his former self, but it's everything else around him that is making him look a worse player than he is.

Talent wise, he should be spending his entire career in the PL. Without injuries, he'd undoubtedly be there. But it's impossible to have so many serious injuries without a huge detrimental impact to your physical and mental performance, and I think it's beyond repair for him at this level of football now sadly.

Totally agree on your point regarding physical and mental sharpness. I just hope and pray for ours and his sake that it is not beyond repair but I fear you may be right.

I think he's was struggling for fitness last season. I also think he was not used the way he probably needs to be with Huddlestone filling his typical role. I think he's a front foot player and perhaps a loan and an untroubled season will see him back to something like his best. When he was right he was the best player I've seen in a Derby shirt for a long time. Fingers crossed we've not seen the last of him.

7 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

was told last night by somebody who claims to be in the know and often speaks to people at the club through his job that Stoke have made a serious bid for Tom Huddlestone and QPR have made a tentative enquiry to take George Thorne on loan

Wouldn't surprise me.

george could be off to America in january

George Thorne needs to be loaned out to regain match fitness. Many other footballers have come back from serious injuries and continued to have good careers.

You don't need to be an athletic and energetic footballer to be a central defensive midfielder, it is far more important to have good positional awareness and a good passing range. Players such as Claude Makelele, Steve McMahon and Henry Newton are three good examples.

I would not sell him, send him out on loan until January and then bring him back in to the squad.  There are other midfield players that are surplus to requirements and need to be sold such as Butterfield, Johnson and Hanson.

10 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Totally agree on your point regarding physical and mental sharpness. I just hope and pray for ours and his sake that it is not beyond repair but I fear you may be right.

I think he could still be a Championship player, but he really, really needs to get through a full season playing lots of football and unscathed from any injuries. It would do him the world of good mentally. I don't think we can offer him as much football as he probably needs so a loan to a side lower down the division, such as QPR, can only do him good.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think he could still be a Championship player, but he really, really needs to get through a full season playing lots of football and unscathed from any injuries. It would do him the world of good mentally. I don't think we can offer him as much football as he probably needs so a loan to a side lower down the division, such as QPR, can only do him good.

Yep, Stevie Mac could do us a massive favour by getting him firing again. Seems like a no brainer for them too considering the embargo they are under.

3 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Hold on a minute, not fast enough to challenge Huddlestone or Ledley for a place? Has one of his legs fallen off entirely?

Ledley looks very fit and knows when and where to run. Top dude. 

He turns like a bus and his passing is not effective. Been a long time since he was the player we loaned. 

He played the second half at Mansfield and had no impact on anything or anyone. 

I lived on the Thorne transfer thread. He was such a great signing. A true example of a proper DM. None of this stand and admire the easy diagonal pass as he nails a 90% pass accuracy. He was defensively switched on to danger and had the pace to recover from the odd poor positioning. He was strong and his instinct was to first feed the ball through the opponents line. 

But since then he's been slow, passed safe and easily bypassed. He's done less good than Butterfield and had x10 the support. 

It's good that he's had the support. But I think he's very fortunate to still be rated fairly highly and have faith that he will reach his best again. It was 2014 when Thorne put in the performances that have him as one of our best players. 

Probably an unpopular opinion. Sorry

Loved him when he was at his best. A true Busquets-type player with excellent passing range and defensive awareness. Injuries mean he'll never be the player he once was, and his confidence must be shattered too.

He'd still be a top player when given time and space on the ball. He isn't going to get that in the Championship. If he has a genuine passion for football and he's willing to take less wages, then the US woud be a good option as would a couple of other European leagues where it's less demanding.

He could still make a decent living and have an enjoyable career. He just won't earn around £20,000 per week playing in Spain's second division or somewhere like Switzerland or Greece. More like £3,000 per week.

Archived