What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

1 minute ago, jono said:

George always struck me as very like Lampard in style. same ability to be a proper CM but he always had the ability to burst forward and hit one. lots of power, drive and technique. I haven't given up yet ?

Agreed. Although there has got to be a reason as to why he is nowhere near the team. There are rumours on twitter of mental health issues but we all know what twitters like and I hope this isn't true. I suppose that the injuries and time off from doing what he loves could have an effect.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jono said:

George always struck me as very like Lampard in style. same ability to be a proper CM but he always had the ability to burst forward and hit one. lots of power, drive and technique. I haven't given up yet ?

I haven’t given up yet either but the longer the current situation persists the more my hopes fade ☹️

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:23, RamNut said:

Good grief....hammering a player now for looking at his phone.....Whatever next?

Whilst a game is going on? Obviously if this was a quick check here and there then fair enough but it wasn't. All game he was on it.

Culture problem at the time as I have mentioned.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 09:45, cheron85 said:

May well have been - But it's become a problem in your head now and you'll probably be in a negative mindset about Thorne now

So - Just checking - This was a first team game right? The away game at Milwall?

He's only really featured for the u23s so far this season - Not part of the first team squad - So I can't imagine Frankie forcing him to travel with the first team squad - Isn't it possible he was there by choice?

Isn't it fairly common for players to be given a few days off during international breaks?

Not at all. Will always back him but a shift in attitude would be a good start for him. Turning up for all games whether part of the squad or not wouldn't go a miss either. Surely that's better than house hunting on a Saturday afternoon. Guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

It was the away game at Brentford. This wasn't under Frank. As i have discussed before this was before Frank so would like to think we have had a culture shift of allowing rubbish like this to go on. Perhaps Frank wouldn't be so forgiving seeing him scroll up and down his phone whilst there to support the lads. Just my opinion mind.

Nothing wrong with going away during international break. Sun and good weather is good for them. Again though, if it was me, I would be sure that Frank would be noticing me in the corridors at Moor Farm showing I am willing and wanting to be in that 16. Like I say, each to their own.

2 hours ago, therams69 said:

Not at all. Will always back him but a shift in attitude would be a good start for him. Turning up for all games whether part of the squad or not wouldn't go a miss either. Surely that's better than house hunting on a Saturday afternoon. Guess it depends on where your priorities lie.

It was the away game at Brentford. This wasn't under Frank. As i have discussed before this was before Frank so would like to think we have had a culture shift of allowing rubbish like this to go on. Perhaps Frank wouldn't be so forgiving seeing him scroll up and down his phone whilst there to support the lads. Just my opinion mind.

Nothing wrong with going away during international break. Sun and good weather is good for them. Again though, if it was me, I would be sure that Frank would be noticing me in the corridors at Moor Farm showing I am willing and wanting to be in that 16. Like I say, each to their own.

Wasn’t this this same Brentford game that was so bad a member of this forum spent the entirety of it on Tinder and kept us updated on his progress? 

11 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Were you watching him on his phone all game then?

Haha good come back ...

Not sure if you have been to Brentford before but the tunnel is right next to the away end terrace where he was sat. He was sat in my eyeline and around 15 yards away.

All this talk about people on phones..... majority are constantly checking if their football bets are coming in around me..... that’s the culture change..... in most st the stadium, like when you come out of the stadium..... no one discussing match, people talking about how their acca went, and how a team has let down their BTTS bet. Gone are the days of discussing a game (barring on here) with yer fellow man or woman

27 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

All this talk about people on phones..... majority are constantly checking if their football bets are coming in around me..... that’s the culture change..... in most st the stadium, like when you come out of the stadium..... no one discussing match, people talking about how their acca went, and how a team has let down their BTTS bet. Gone are the days of discussing a game (barring on here) with yer fellow man or woman

Totally agree. Pet hate for me but each to their own. This is why in my opinion the atmosphere has somewhat dwindled over the years. Different priorities.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Not sure how all this phone checking happens TBH. I can never get a good enough signal to even check other scores on the SKY App.

Certainly not at Pride Park! It's often better at away games and some have quite good wifi. 

And less fans trying to access it, of course! 

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Not sure how all this phone checking happens TBH. I can never get a good enough signal to even check other scores on the SKY App.

39 minutes ago, angieram said:

Certainly not at Pride Park! It's often better at away games and some have quite good wifi. 

And less fans trying to access it, of course! 

Go on settings and change it to 3G. I don't know why, but it works. Great if your looking to cash out a bet

This debate should be wether Thorne is good enough to start in the first 11 or on the bench. Has he got a future at the club or not. That will be decided by the management team with what they see in training and U23 matches and how they see him compared with the likes of Evans. His phone habits or demeanour during a first team game won’t even matter one bit compared to his football abilities. That’s what should be discussed and opinionated.  

23 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

This debate should be wether Thorne is good enough to start in the first 11 or on the bench. Has he got a future at the club or not. That will be decided by the management team with what they see in training and U23 matches and how they see him compared with the likes of Evans. His phone habits or demeanour during a first team game won’t even matter one bit compared to his football abilities. That’s what should be discussed and opinionated.  

That is not completely correct Horsforth. To play at a professional level requires total commitment to the cause. Of course ability is first and foremost but 100% dedication and application also absolutely essential.  Now, we all know George has/had the ability so why isn't he in the first team picture? Is he mentally finished? Is he lazy? Is he unable to physically perform at the top level? Something is very wrong. He's a young player who has once been our best player, its all very strange. As some have said before why on earth Steve Nicholson and Radio Derby aren't all over this I don't know.

6 hours ago, rsmini said:

At the last home game chap a few rows in front of me in the south stand was watching a different game on his phone!!

To be fair, when i read comments on the game thread i often think ive been watching a different game to some people.

3 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

As SP has touched on … I am afraid you are wrong on that. Nowadays a players professional attitude is also brought into the equation. Not just about being a decent footballer. How they conduct themselves is important. It shows willingness, botheredness,, attitude, commitment etc etc …

If he is house hunting on a Saturday afternoon for example do you think he is arsed about being with the lads? Should we not discuss that? Does it matter? Of course it matters. Being on his phone all game whilst a game is on? Should it matter? Of course it should.

If you were a manager with lots of talent at a club (which we have), would you be thinking to yourself, yes I am picking him next week. He looks well up for it. Of course you wouldn't.

In my opinion he isn't good enough. He is certainly way behind in the midfield positions available. Would love him to prove me wrong though but just cannot see it.

Archived