What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

All opinions though. I will repeat however, why aren’t the local press asking about Thorne and Butterfield? I notice they have squad numbers but weren’t on the squad photos yesterday. 

Wouldn't it be more pertinent to ask why FL and JM aren't talking about either of them?

5 hours ago, chelloram said:

Agreed,Bryson has been a good servant but isn't particularly doing anything which justifies his place in starting 11. Either Bryson or Mount to play, not both. Johnson is very inconsistent and ball playing ability very poor, maybe a better fit with mount though. I just don't get how Ledley is getting game time in front of Thorne in holding midfield role though, Huddlestone maybe, but definitely not Ledley, even if Thorne playing on one leg?

Not sure about that. Thorne hasn’t even been the best playing for the U23’s so hardly worthy of a first team space.

unfortunate but true

On 13/09/2018 at 09:22, 86 points said:

How very dare he?!?! First he's looking at his phone, then he went on holiday, now he's making babies with his Mrs and all while employed at Derby. Nothing short of shameful if you ask me...

I can only compare to my own much well less paid job...and if my team members were doing a presentation that I wasn't part of (with members of the public there,)...I would definitely be nodding and looking intent. I would also get a major dressing down if my manager saw me scrolling down my phone the whole time that's for sure.

Its not even pointless for him to be watching. Seeing how the team plays, noticing the kind of passes/runs that his team mates are making is important if he genuinely wants to portray himself as someone who wants to get back in the team. 

If he wants everyone to think he doesn't care then fine sit playing on his phone. He is getting paid a fat wage for doing very little (I know that isn't his choice)..so at least he could look interested while we pay towards the privilege of him sitting there.

Agreed..symptomatic of the modern footballer. Probably all doing it. But as manager I would be taking him to task on the example he is setting. 

I have said he is over rated for a long long time...looks classy but has never grabbed games enough for me. Hope he proves me wrong but can't see it being at Derby. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wouldn't it be more pertinent to ask why FL and JM aren't talking about either of them?

I’d say the current squad are doing the talking for them currently.....

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I can only compare to my own much well less paid job...and if my team members were doing a presentation that I wasn't part of (with members of the public there,)...I would definitely be nodding and looking intent. I would also get a major dressing down if my manager saw me scrolling down my phone the whole time that's for sure.

Its not even pointless for him to be watching. Seeing how the team plays, noticing the kind of passes/runs that his team mates are making is important if he genuinely wants to portray himself as someone who wants to get back in the team. 

If he wants everyone to think he doesn't care then fine sit playing on his phone. He is getting paid a fat wage for doing very little (I know that isn't his choice)..so at least he could look interested while we pay towards the privilege of him sitting there.

Agreed..symptomatic of the modern footballer. Probably all doing it. But as manager I would be taking him to task on the example he is setting. 

I have said he is over rated for a long long time...looks classy but has never grabbed games enough for me. Hope he proves me wrong but can't see it being at Derby. 

Lol wut

51 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

Or there are legal problems because of the Rush debacle??………….

It would seem that no-one is going to tell us what is /is not happening with them...…..

It is curious isn’t it .. the silence, no gossip, no hints.

Bottom line and taking all our emotions out of it the three are significant assets in a financial sense and there really has been no indication of the club or players feelings beyond some bland platitudes.

George is probably the easiest to understand given his injury problems and that might be just a question of hang on to see if there is an improvement and if not then bye bye mate

Anya and Butterfield  .  Yes probably overpaid and cost too much money but both are sound championship players and I think Anya is someone who could contribute. He’s a pro, gets stuck in and is not mardy in any sense that I can see. Butterfield can also play although I think his confidence and self belief is shot at the moment, and contract aside, it is surprising there is no news on him moving or wanting to move or saying anything !

But in the end it’s a numbers game .. 11 starters and the bench. If you’ve got twice that number on the books then there are always going to be those twiddling their thumbs. 

Shrugs shoulders emoji ! 

56 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

All well and good but I'd want something more than a rumour propagated on an internet forum to start questioning the guy's attitude whereas you clearly don't. If and when I know for a fact that George isn't fussed anymore, I might chuck a few opinions but right now it's all conjecture as far as I can see.

8 minutes ago, 86 points said:

All well and good but I'd want something more than a rumour propagated on an internet forum to start questioning the guy's attitude whereas you clearly don't. If and when I know for a fact that George isn't fussed anymore, I might chuck a few opinions but right now it's all conjecture as far as I can see.

A veteran with nearly 7000 points on the board and you have an issue with a forum that propagates conjecture and rumours??? 

12 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I would add,  I don't think I actually said  I know he did it...merely that if he did its not great. 

Not avoiding your point though  ..I think if someone sat nearby says they witnessed him doing it, its not that unlikely.

Can't say I care that much, little bits of gossip like that keep the forum busy till the real action begins again.  He is so far away from the team it hardly registers now, which is a shame for him but suggests we finally have a squad that can really compete.

22 minutes ago, 86 points said:

It's worth bearing in mind too that this was based on Brentford away last season, under a different manager with a different way of playing, who subsequently recalled George and just as suddenly dropped him!

He's seemingly surplus to requirements at the moment, he'll either prove Frank wrong, or it's a masterclass of management to get him back, which seems unlikely from a rookie, or he'll leave when his contract is up.

Whatever happens, he's been one of my recent favourites, and but for bad luck both he and us would be playing at higher level by now.

It's just one of those things, I guess.

On one of the odd occasions I have sat in a hospitality suite at PP, I must admit to being a bit surprised at the indifference /total non engagement, of a group of 1st teamers (injured or otherwise) who sat the game out on the terrace of an adjacent box. 

They did seem to spend most of the match 'faffing' about on their phones with little or no interest in the game, this would have been about 5 or 6 years ago, so I doubt George would've been about then. This left me with the impression that there must have been 101 different places that they would rather be.i must admit to feeling a little disappointed at the realisation that to these guys, football is just a job like any other. George is not unique! 

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

A veteran with nearly 7000 points on the board and you have an issue with a forum that propagates conjecture and rumours??? 

I don't have a problem with gossip so I don't really understand what your issue is. I've pointed out that I think that forming opinions based on one person's observations is probably not the way to go. If you choose to then that's your prerogative, simple as that. It's a free world. If there was more than one instance of someone saying they'd seen signs that his head is not where it needs to be then perhaps I'd pay more heed to it, but having seen his performances recently in a couple of U23 games, my own observation would be that he looked pretty bloody committed for a guy who, allegedly, isn't that fussed. 

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It's worth bearing in mind too that this was based on Brentford away last season, under a different manager with a different way of playing, who subsequently recalled George and just as suddenly dropped him!

He's seemingly surplus to requirements at the moment, he'll either prove Frank wrong, or it's a masterclass of management to get him back, which seems unlikely from a rookie, or he'll leave when his contract is up.

Whatever happens, he's been one of my recent favourites, and but for bad luck both he and us would be playing at higher level by now.

It's just one of those things, I guess.

Much ado about nothing I reckon Revel. As you've pointed out, he doesn't seem to be in Frank's immediate plans and that may well herald the end of his time at the club. If that's the case then it's very sad really as to my mind, he is one of the most naturally gifted players we've had in recent times and would certainly have had a very different career were it not for two really horrible injuries. Folk are quick to question him but I think that overlooks how tough the rehabilitation periods can be, especially when they come almost back to back. It must also be incredibly disheartening when you do get fit after two potentially career ending knocks, only to find you're frozen out of the squad. Frank and Jody will know better than any of us whether he is still the player he once was or whether he still can be however, so we'll have to place our faith in them I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I’d say the current squad are doing the talking for them currently.....

It's a fair point we have started strongly. Last season we came unstuck because Rowett stuck rigidly with the team that was 'doing the talking' despite it being a long season and the need for depth and variety. Sending Martin out on loan and freezing of George was an epic mistake when we needed to stop the rot and control games. I appreciate it's different now but i think we would be unwise to freeze out a player of George's proven ability. He may yet be integral. Possibly not the point you were making but I've had a beer and I heart George...

Archived