What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned in the DET by Wassall tonight, who was presumably asked about him at the U23 match:

“It’s the same for every player,” he said. “They’re playing with the under-23s because they want to catch our manager’s attention, but also other managers that are watching in the stand.

"George is no different.

"He wants to get back into that first-team squad and by performing with the under-23s and performing well, he will give himself the best opportunity.”

I watched the game last night.

George is showing some of his old flair when it comes to vision and passing. Pity some of the youngsters weren't on his wavelength.

Where he did appear to struggle was his tackling, he look nervous and shied away from a good few. I am sure this is due to the injuries playing on his mind.

Get over that and we could well have the George Thorne we know and love so much back in the first team

Disagree with Bath George did not shy away from tackles, and previous game took a right number of clatters. And got dumped early on this match. There wasn’t a lot of rough and tumble about the game barthe sparring going on between young Sibley and Choudray. The midfield most certainly were on George’s wavelength but we looked somewhat bereft up front.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I saw the game on Rams TV and for me George has to do an awful lot more to impress. The game at that level is easy for him but instead of absolutely dominating he seems content to go with the pace of the game. Not a criticism as such just my observation.

I can’t see what more he could have done, he covered an enormous amount of ground, he broke up play, he passed the ball around, he had our (only) two shots on target. As you say, at this level...I’d pick him over Hudds now.

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can’t see what more he could have done, he covered an enormous amount of ground, he broke up play, he passed the ball around, he had our (only) two shots on target. As you say, at this level...I’d pick him over Hudds now.

I can't see what Hudds has done wrong to justify being dropped or that George is looking like a better option just yet.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I can't see what Hudds has done wrong to justify being dropped or that George is looking like a better option just yet.

Huddlestone has barely played so far too - He's had a single cup game

Think Johnson is the guy currently holding the DM spot - So the question is more about whether Huddlestone should come in and then could Thorne displace him?

It's a shame we didn't draw another 'minnow' in the League Cup. Would have come at an opportune time, but Huddlestone seems to be ahead of Thorne.

I'd prefer a mid 3 of 
                   Thorne/Huddlestone
     Mount                                      Johnson

just because it has the balance of flair, passing, aggression and physicality. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He could have dictated the play with much more intensity imo. Seemed content to play at U23 intensity which was easy for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45413126

Luke Shaw: Man Utd defender says he nearly lost leg after injury

Shows how bad a double leg break can be - Only really getting back to the potential he showed as an 18 year old now after 3 years - Has been accused of being lazy and not having his head in the right place by media and manager - Seems to have finally recovered from that though

So there's hope for Thorne yet - If the reviews I've seen on here are somewhat accurate and he's still a little nervous about getting solid tackles in then maybe more time in the u23s building that confidence back up is just what he needs - I'd be a lot more worried for him if he wasn't getting game time at all

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Shows how bad a double leg break can be - Only really getting back to the potential he showed as an 18 year old now after 3 years - Has been accused of being lazy and not having his head in the right place by media and manager - Seems to have finally recovered from that though

So there's hope for Thorne yet - If the reviews I've seen on here are somewhat accurate and he's still a little nervous about getting solid tackles in then maybe more time in the u23s building that confidence back up is just what he needs - I'd be a lot more worried for him if he wasn't getting game time at all

The fact he is getting game time for the u23's gives some hope that he has a chance considering the likes of Butterfield and Anya didn't for the last game (games in JB's case)

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I think you are spot on there. Thinking about Fozzie and Bryson with their double injuries .. we are just beginning to see signs that they are still players. Time might not be on Bryson's side but recently Fozzie has looked the full package again. George is younger. I have hopes - and the fact that he's getting game time tells me that the hierarchy feels the same. 

There was a player at Arsenal, can't remember his name, who had a stress fracture of the patella. He was calmly walking along the street one day when his kneecap suddenly split into two pieces, which is quite traumatic.

He got over the injury all right but he spent most of his waking hours worrying about when his kneecap would break again.

Archived