What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

Sith Happens
15 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Gutted. Thanks for the memories, George. Hope you do really well wherever you end up. I still think we might look back and regret this. 

Yep, im gutted. If we have room for 2 left backs surely we had room for GT if he was anywhere near franks plans.

We have to trust the manager but i cant help feel we are going to lose out.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Yep, im gutted. If we have room for 2 left backs surely we had room for GT if he was anywhere near franks plans.

We have to trust the manager but i cant help feel we are going to lose out.

For the last year he has been a shadow of his former self and to be a good manager sometimes you have to be ruthless and have no regard for sentimental decisions. Clough wasted a load of money giving barker a contract when he was done ,out of respect for him , when he should have been offered a pay as you play deal.

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

For the last year he has been a shadow of his former self and to be a good manager sometimes you have to be ruthless and have no regard for sentimental decisions. Clough wasted a load of money giving barker a contract when he was done ,out of respect for him , when he should have been offered a pay as you play deal.

I thought Barkers new deal was a years extension on half his current money.

Therefore giving him double the time to get fit on half the wages?

At no extra cost to the club.

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

He's already got the contract - the money is his! May as well play him, he looked worth a go after the U23s game.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I thought Barkers new deal was a years extension on half his current money.

Therefore giving him double the time to get fit on half the wages?

At no extra cost to the club.

never realised that I thought it was the same wages, and at the time he must have been one of our highest earners.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's already got the contract - the money is his! May as well play him, he looked worth a go after the U23s game.

I'd give a go tonight  , I just think Lampard probably saw his poor performances on video from last season and is probably not that confident in picking him.

58 minutes ago, eddie said:

Show it on the training pitch, get picked. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

That’s the intriguing part that only those there know and the rest of us are guessing.

Starting to think that’s what must be lacking in truth, but if he’s training with the under 23’s is F.L seeing it anyway?

Still odd for me, given others injuries and reasonable last performance in u23’s and still a little bit of a tragedy, unless F.L wants to loan him out to get fit, which I’m doubting the case.

Looks very surplus as others say.

15 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I'd give a go tonight  , I just think Lampard probably saw his poor performances on video from last season and is probably not that confident in picking him.

Still picks Johnson and Fozzy who hardly covered themselves in glory last season.

Surely if he’s doing it in training etc he’d force his way in. We dont see whats happening in training. He’s been a fantastic player in the past but some serious injuries & a long time out. Might never be the same also if he can get back no need to rush him

a loan until jan might do him good get some competitive games under his belt & see if he can come back 

GT was part of the old regime. GT was when in his prime for us my fave player by a mile but time stands still for nobody. Lampard won’t model the team around him, as that’s now with MM and others. GT needs to get fit quick to save his career but that won’t be at Derby County sadly IMO.

2 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Surely if he’s doing it in training etc he’d force his way in. We dont see whats happening in training. He’s been a fantastic player in the past but some serious injuries & a long time out. Might never be the same also if he can get back no need to rush him

a loan until jan might do him good get some competitive games under his belt & see if he can come back 

Thorne is one of the players who doesn't train with the first team so can't really force his way in. He has to go out on loan for games.

If he still has what it takes to hack it in the Championship or above then QPR is the obvious destination and their fans certainly want him. If he knows deep down his body can't hack that week in, week out, then he should follow the Giles Barnes route and go to America. 

Because QPR are embargoed from January I think they'd require a season-long deal.

4 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I’ve mentioned this in detail before but playing in a two is entirely different to playing in a three. Half the number of potential recepients, half the number of positions to receive the ball on the turn, few players in pockets of space…

5 hours ago, New Gold Dream said:

Goodbye and Good Luck to George Thorne, Anya, Martin, Butterfield, Pearce and Elsnik.

There are clubs interested in all of them but bizarrely we are being stubborn on wage contributions and future fees etc. I’d prefer all of them out playing football of some sort so as to be in the shop window and easier to shift. 

You’re right though, tonight confirmed to the masses that they’re all done here. Picking two left backs on the bench. And I’ve become okay with it now. I love all three of Martin, George and Butters. I’d have them in the first team reckoning above a few others put it that way. But we are doing better after a slightly worrying start and I feel convinced we’ll be playoffs this season again at worst. So let’s forget the past and focus on the present. 

Like you say, good luck to those who may be leaving in the next few days. 

29 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

There are clubs interested in all of them but bizarrely we are being stubborn on wage contributions and future fees etc. I’d prefer all of them out playing football of some sort so as to be in the shop window and easier to shift. 

You’re right though, tonight confirmed to the masses that they’re all done here. Picking two left backs on the bench. And I’ve become okay with it now. I love all three of Martin, George and Butters. I’d have them in the first team reckoning above a few others put it that way. But we are doing better after a slightly worrying start and I feel convinced we’ll be playoffs this season again at worst. So let’s forget the past and focus on the present. 

Like you say, good luck to those who may be leaving in the next few days. 

Looks as if it'll come down to who blinks first. How desperate are the other clubs to loan versus how keen are we to get players out? I can understand the viewpoint that we don't want to subsidize our competitors in this division - did Cardiff pay all of Bryson's wage en route to promotion, for instance? Is there any chance players will take pay cuts to move away and play?

Lampard has made his choices. Mel has supported him. I hope for the sake of squad harmony that means we're in for a busy few days, but it will be some achievement to move out all of those on the unwanted pile.

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Both you and @Carl Sagan seem to have some good contacts at the club Warren. I am pleased you state there is some real interest in them all. My concern is that a few might not go before Friday is out, and then how they will be managed through to the next window. Do you have any insight as to what pressure is being applied to move them out, and how they will be used if they remain with us come Saturday morning?

I've heard a rumor (not sure if it has been mentioned before) that GT is receiving counselling due to his injuries as hes become disillusioned and reluctant to get stuck into challenges.

As I said it is only a rumor but the guy that told me has been right on these things in the past so take it as you will. (he's also been wrong on the odd occasion!)

5 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Both you and @Carl Sagan seem to have some good contacts at the club Warren. I am pleased you state there is some real interest in them all. My concern is that a few might not go before Friday is out, and then how they will be managed through to the next window. Do you have any insight as to what pressure is being applied to move them out, and how they will be used if they remain with us come Saturday morning?

Nice of you to say but I'm sure @Warren Hobheadhas far better contacts than me!

But you're right to wonder how those players who stay will be managed until the next window, as a sour environment at Moor Farm could have a big impact on everyone. Players not involved with the first team squad, really aren't involved at all. It must be pretty miserable.

I guess the clubs circling hope our eagerness to ship them out will make us part cheaply, whereas Mel will hope they're getting desperate for new players so will come up with the money. And on top of that, if the rumours are to be believed, CamJam refuses to move to Ipswich because he used to play for Norwich!

We'll all know soon enough...

Archived