v Southampton (H) Match Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Noticed this today. Wilson was pushed up on there corner for a breakaway.

what a breath of fresh air!!

One of Lampard's favourite goals must be the Torres breakaway from a corner at the Nou Camp in the Champions League semi-final.

Gary Neville jizzed in the commentary box and he doesn't even like Chelsea

1 hour ago, Birdyabroad said:

Loved the performance today, couldn’t believe I was watching my team, so different from last year.

However, in the after glow, there is one glaring concern with this team, a potential Achilles heel; we look a more creative BUT are now a much smaller side. 

Bryson, Wilson, Thomas, Mount, Zoon, Bennett, Butterfield, Vyds (If staying), are all the wrong side of 6 foot.

This will leave us exposed on set pieces; we could be in danger of being sh*thoused by a taller team, like Stoke, for example.

I’m sure Lamps is aware, just a small fly in the ointment.

UTR!

Football is played on the floor. 

Anyway, with the way the team played today, I could imagine Flo Jo jumping onto Wilson’s shoulders for corners, heading the ball away and for him to jump down and get onto the end of it, run down the wing, cross the ball in where Bennett is on Bryson’s shoulders to nod it in. 1-0 

Just now, Norman said:

One of Lampard's favourite goal must be the Torres breakaway from a corner at the Nou Camp in the Champions League semi-final.

Gary Neville jizzed on the comentary box and he doesn't even like Chelsea

Not literally I hope!! That would be just wrong! ??

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Thats true, but whatever strategy we adopt there will always be a weakness. 

I'd rather watch a team who can play - even if we concede a few from corners and free kicks - than a team who can head it and kick it away, but can't do much else besides. 

Agree 100%

We can't have a squad big enough to cover every scenario. You just have to try to do what you do better than they do what they do.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Agree 100%

We can't have a squad big enough to cover every scenario. You just have to try to do what you do better than they do what they do.

Other teams will need to find the ball first and then try to keep it.

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Noticed this today. Wilson was pushed up on there corner for a breakaway.

what a breath of fresh air!!

Absolutely spot on....how fantastic does this feel at the moment ....I’m so so glad stoke took Rowett because the football is already much better to watch ...patience may still be needed but how good does it feel to be a rams fan at the mo ??

As a founder member of the happy clappy society I reserve the right to be completely over excited

I just loved it. Every second. The older heads like Leadley and the imperious Huddlestone did exactly what the experience end of a balanced team should do ... just keep it all together while the young guns went out on raiding parties. The precise opposite of last year where they controlled everything and just let the kids have a moment or two to run off some spirit. 

We didn’t play 433 and we weren’t Mac 1 ... unless MAC 1 had Sat Nav, Alloys, a turbo and variable geometry. After a settle down period we played dominant football (with the odd slip up - but who cares ) 

Wilson and Mount, so mobile, energetic and flexible. Nuge a bit slow to start and I thought he run out of legs came in to it as time went by.

Bryson making so many off the ball intelligent runs and later on a shot on target - back to his best. Lawrence, bit hurried to start and then, (frankly speaking ? ) ended up strutting like rooster of the walk. Even Butters looked tidy. What price him as away match choice at CM. ?

Random asides in no particular order. And yes this is all a bit OTT but that was entertainment and football all at once ??

Leadley = John Eustace with a beard

Bennet = razor sharp picking up that rebound

Flo Jo = two magic touches and 2 not so magic ones but pretty sure he’s got the star dust and we are going to love him

Hudds = classiest old brand of glue available on the market today 

Keogh and Davies = Ronseal

Max Lowe = future 8 figure value .. hope we’ve got him nailed down 

Bryson = not an old dog .. doesn’t need new tricks 

Wisdom = full of it

Butterfield = well you know clean slates might not just be clichés

Vydra still to come back = now won’t that be interesting !  

Who needs a target man or a battering Ram when you have skilled all round footballers playing with intent and panache 

Team 2 = came out wanting to be in team 1 without a sulk in them. 

Friendly ..yes Southampton poor ..maybe 

But all said and done that the most athletic flowing DCFC I have seen for a fair while.

keep it up for the next 2 warm ups and we’ll be peaking for the opening weekend and bouncing when Leeds come visiting

PS .. Is there  a St Frank ? 

45 minutes ago, Rampage said:

After hearing the praise Frank gave to Nuge and Bennett, I think that I need to be educated in Frank's Way otherwise I will be criticising players that are doing what Frank told them to do.

There was an amusing little exchange between Nuge and Frank when someone booted the ball upfield when under pressure early in second half. He looked across at Frank as if to say 'see what I have to put up with' , shrugged and then galloped off after it. 

What a lovely showing! Not used to spending 5 pounds to stream matches but there's not a 5 pounds better spent in my life. Absolutely buzzing for the season to get started... I'm indecisive over getting a striker - wouldn't mind Marriott but 6m is a tad over the top for a league 1 striker. If we did land Marriott though, I can see Derby really pushing for the automatic promotion. Must remind myself not to get too carried away but how can I not! Oh Frankie Lampard, Frankie Lampard... Frankie Lampard, scored 200 against the Pikeys, Frankie Lampard!

1 hour ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Both please and promotion is as good as in the bag.

Come Mel make it happen 

Don’t want to be a party pooper bud 

but let’s just calm down a bit shall we,

its encouraging, v v v encouraging but we’ve won nothing today, not 3 points and certainly not promotion just like against Mansfield we didn’t lose 3 points and it didn’t mean we were going to get relegated 

58 minutes ago, jono said:

As a founder member of the happy clappy society I reserve the right to be completely over excited

I just loved it. Every second. The older heads like Leadley and the imperious Huddlestone did exactly what the experience end of a balanced team should do ... just keep it all together while the young guns went out on raiding parties. The precise opposite of last year where they controlled everything and just let the kids have a moment or two to run off some spirit. 

We didn’t play 433 and we weren’t Mac 1 ... unless MAC 1 had Sat Nav, Alloys, a turbo and variable geometry. After a settle down period we played dominant football (with the odd slip up - but who cares ) 

Wilson and Mount, so mobile, energetic and flexible. Nuge a bit slow to start and I thought he run out of legs came in to it as time went by.

Bryson making so many off the ball intelligent runs and later on a shot on target - back to his best. Lawrence, bit hurried to start and then, (frankly speaking ? ) ended up strutting like rooster of the walk. Even Butters looked tidy. What price him as away match choice at CM. ?

Random asides in no particular order. And yes this is all a bit OTT but that was entertainment and football all at once ??

Leadley = John Eustace with a beard

Bennet = razor sharp picking up that rebound

Flo Jo = two magic touches and 2 not so magic ones but pretty sure he’s got the star dust and we are going to love him

Hudds = classiest old brand of glue available on the market today 

Keogh and Davies = Ronseal

Max Lowe = future 8 figure value .. hope we’ve got him nailed down 

Bryson = not an old dog .. doesn’t need new tricks 

Wisdom = full of it

Butterfield = well you know clean slates might not just be clichés

Vydra still to come back = now won’t that be interesting !  

Who needs a target man or a battering Ram when you have skilled all round footballers playing with intent and panache 

Team 2 = came out wanting to be in team 1 without a sulk in them. 

Friendly ..yes Southampton poor ..maybe 

But all said and done that the most athletic flowing DCFC I have seen for a fair while.

keep it up for the next 2 warm ups and we’ll be peaking for the opening weekend and bouncing when Leeds come visiting

PS .. Is there  a St Frank ? 

Take a bow youth

Archived