Whether 'tis nobler in the  match to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous footballing fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of Stoke defenders
And by opposing end them. To score, to win--
Promotion--and by promotion to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That the Ram's fan is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To score, to win-

Quite brilliant O thou of the beard which be grim!

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Having seen the match and now watched the highlights -

Lowe looks a massive prospect.

Ledley is on a mission. Wilson will take some stopping.

Rowettball is history.

Players play how they are told to play therefore crap instructions equals crap football.

Frank's instructions equals Championship version of Man City.

what a post!

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Lampard: To buy, or not to buy--that is the question:

Um......i'm starting to believe that story about monkeys, typewriters, infinite time,  and the inevitability of reproducing the complete works of Shakespeare. ?

Is it me or have the highlights disappeared now?

the match centre for the southampton game includes the text feed for the notts county game?? And no link to the highlights?

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

Is it me or have the highlights disappeared now?

the match centre for the southampton game includes the text feed for the notts county game?? And no link to the highlights?

You can watch the match in full now through the Derby County app, but I can’t see it on the website yet.

9 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Lampard: To buy, or not to buy--that is the question:

A career on the boards awaiteth thee, fair Grimbeard. Exit stage left to fanfare of the trump and the dulcimer on a good day. For England and for Frank. Thy midsummer night's dream of a win at Mansfield lies shattered in the Field Mill of battle but thou hast arisen again valiantly and hast aquitted thineself as a skilful man in the 3 nil defeat of Southampton. So prepare and gain thee vittals for the forthcoming battle against the small Forest creatures that seek to rise In triumph against thee, especially in the away game. To horse, Grimbeard and failing that catch the number 29 to Chaddesden where thou will find succour and strength to thine soul. Also a couple of pints of John Smith's ale shall comfort thee. 

Is this a striker I see before me? 

Alas poor Weimann, I knew him well. 

Et tu Gary? 

Now is the winter of our discontent

Made glorious summer by this son of Frank (senior);

And all the crowds that lour'd upon our house

Returneth shitfaced and merry

our brows are bound with victorious wreaths;

Our stern ayeupmeducks are changed to merry greetings,

Grimbeard hath smooth'd his wrinkled member;

And now capers nimbly in his lady's chamber

emboldened by this happy mood.

My observations from watching the match replays:

Loving the high press game, we look like we're a rejuvenated side. Worried that we might lose the legs later on in the season but so far so good.

Max Lowe is a must start, I doubt there's a better left back on the market. He pins opposition right wingers back to the halfway line, they can't get past him as he intercepts the balls and is fast enough to cover his own mistakes.

Attacking seems to be very lop-sided, a lot down the left with Lowe and Lawrence. When we're attacking down the left Wisdom stays back, almost becomes third centre back.

We play very wide, Lowe and Wisdom are standing right at the edges of the pitch when attacking, leaves a lot of space for opposition centre forwards between our centre backs in the transition. Southampton had their chances using this space.

Lawrence full of confidence, clearly got a point to prove. Playing more of inside forward, cuts in a lot earlier than last season, positioning and movement similar to Gareth Bales last season for Spurs.

Ledley and Huddlestone looking fantastic in the midfield. Noticeably saw  the two being allowed to push up into the 8 positions as Bryson ran back to fill the gap between the two centre backs. A lot of swapping of the roles between DMs and CMs

A faster forward with more stamina would work but Nugent and Jerome did that kind of work good enough. I think our style of play isn't dependent on a goal scoring centre forward, Lampard seem to be using centre forwards as more of a Sterling for England role, making space for others.

Worried we're too narrow and too much congestion in the middle with Wilson and Mount. Would be fine if we've got overlapping full backs but didn't see this enough in the Southampton game, don't think crosses are part of the game plan. Thomas and Flo Jo beat their man and cut in a lot later allowing more space in the middle for runners into the box.

Excited to see how the relationships between the everyone will play out, a lot of quick passes and interchanging positions.

Overall super excited for the new season and loving the new brand of football!

15 minutes ago, Shang said:

My observations from watching the match replays:

Loving the high press game, we look like we're a rejuvenated side. Worried that we might lose the legs later on in the season but so far so good.

Max Lowe is a must start, I doubt there's a better left back on the market. He pins opposition right wingers back to the halfway line, they can't get past him as he intercepts the balls and is fast enough to cover his own mistakes.

Attacking seems to be very lop-sided, a lot down the left with Lowe and Lawrence. When we're attacking down the left Wisdom stays back, almost becomes third centre back.

We play very wide, Lowe and Wisdom are standing right at the edges of the pitch when attacking, leaves a lot of space for opposition centre forwards between our centre backs in the transition. Southampton had their chances using this space.

Lawrence full of confidence, clearly got a point to prove. Playing more of inside forward, cuts in a lot earlier than last season, positioning and movement similar to Gareth Bales last season for Spurs.

Ledley and Huddlestone looking fantastic in the midfield. Noticeably saw  the two being allowed to push up into the 8 positions as Bryson ran back to fill the gap between the two centre backs. A lot of swapping of the roles between DMs and CMs

A faster forward with more stamina would work but Nugent and Jerome did that kind of work good enough. I think our style of play isn't dependent on a goal scoring centre forward, Lampard seem to be using centre forwards as more of a Sterling for England role, making space for others.

Worried we're too narrow and too much congestion in the middle with Wilson and Mount. Would be fine if we've got overlapping full backs but didn't see this enough in the Southampton game, don't think crosses are part of the game plan. Thomas and Flo Jo beat their man and cut in a lot later allowing more space in the middle for runners into the box.

Excited to see how the relationships between the everyone will play out, a lot of quick passes and interchanging positions.

Overall super excited for the new season and loving the new brand of football!

Wisdom overlapped more in other games but was more concerned with their main threat Redmond.

I would also add the caveat to Lowe's excellent performance that he wasn't playing against a winger, more a CM playing out of position.

This might be getting a bit out of hand now, but:

Once more onto the pitch, dear friends, once more;
And close the wall up with our Derby defence.
When smashing the Gumps there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;

But when the blast of the ref's whistle blows in our ears,
Stiffen the shin-pads, tighten up the boots,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye of the Ram a terrible aspect;
This day is call'd the feast of Bloomer.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
With three points in the bag,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Bloomer.
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words—
Kevin the King, Mcfarland and Todd
O'hare and Stimac, Poom and Eranio—
Be in their flowing pint pots rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Bloomer's Day shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We Rams, we happy Sheep, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that bounces with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

And gentlemen in Sinfin now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That sang with us upon Saint Bloomer's day.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Frank, Derby, and Saint Bloomer!'

15 minutes ago, sage said:

Wisdom overlapped more in other games but was more concerned with their main threat Redmond.

I would also add the caveat to Lowe's excellent performance that he wasn't playing against a winger, more a CM playing out of position.

I agree the wing is not his strongest position, but he is a competent right midfielder.

Also, Ward-Prowse is one of Southampton's most gifted players. We shouldn't take too much away from Lowe.

Archived