v Southampton (H) Match Thread

1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

Very satisfying performance! The new signings are footballers, very comfortable on the ball, very quick, footballing brains, and it looks like Frank has got that mentality into the rest of the squad because the entire team (all 20-odd of them) were capable of finding their team-mates time and time again - a rare sight over recent years, and one of our biggest downfalls.

As many have said, we seem to have gone back in time a few years, the football was a joy to the eye. To the point that I have to wonder whether Southampton were really that bad, or were made to look that bad. There is the proviso that it was a pre-season match, so some of the challenges were on the soft side. But I noticed that Southampton started the second half with a bit more urgency, but they also injected a fair bit of Hughes thuggery as well. There is no room for those sort of "take-the-man-out" tackles in a pres-season friendly, but thankfully no-one was stretchered off.

So after a few years in the wilderness, we have "Reasons to be Cheerful - Part3"!

Too big a jump from last season to get a performance that good but there it was for all to see. Likely to get better as season wears on.

Sky Sports described us as very formidable. At half time I wondered what Mark Hughes could do and I decided that he should aim to keep the score down.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

Sounds like a great performance by the rams. It’s great to hear so much positive comments on the forum. Looking forward to watching the match highlights.

It could be a longer show than normal BarrowRam! I'm not getting carried away, just taking one game at a time. In this game we were very good though.

5 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

It could be a longer show than normal BarrowRam! I'm not getting carried away, just taking one game at a time. In this game we were very good though.

The players must be buzzing. They know how good that was.

Florian may be a little shell shocked as in - how do i get in the starting eleven?

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Frank Lampard is not Gary Rowett.

Gary Rowett is not Frank Lampard.

We have the right man. What a dude.

And Gary Rowett's  Stoke have just lost three pre season games on the bounce playing 4-4-1-1 and they are moaning about no creativity.

2 minutes ago, Beagle said:

And Gary Rowett's  Stoke have just lost three pre season games on the bounce playing 4-4-1-1 and they are moaning about no creativity.

Played 2 games today, one looked like a B team whilst the first team played Hamburg

3 minutes ago, David said:

Played 2 games today, one looked like a B team whilst the first team played Hamburg

Played two 45 minute games today and used the squad like you do mixed the players up .Seems to be a thing in Germany Huddersfield did the same today.

Loved the performance today, couldn’t believe I was watching my team, so different from last year.

However, in the after glow, there is one glaring concern with this team, a potential Achilles heel; we look a more creative BUT are now a much smaller side. 

Bryson, Wilson, Thomas, Mount, Zoon, Bennett, Butterfield, Vyds (If staying), are all the wrong side of 6 foot.

This will leave us exposed on set pieces; we could be in danger of being sh*thoused by a taller team, like Stoke, for example.

I’m sure Lamps is aware, just a small fly in the ointment.

UTR!

2 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

Loved the performance today, couldn’t believe I was watching my team, so different from last year.

However, in the after glow, there is one glaring concern with this team, a potential Achilles heel; we look a more creative BUT are now a much smaller side. 

Bryson, Wilson, Thomas, Mount, Zoon, Bennett, Butterfield, Vyds (If staying), are all the wrong side of 6 foot.

This will leave us exposed on set pieces; we could be in danger of being sh*thoused by a taller team, like Stoke, for example.

UTR!

Chances are we would still have a back 4 and CDM who are good in the air.

Also we could actually leave 2 or 3 players outside the box so the opposition cant overload it anyway...be nice to not have everyone back on corners!

3 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

They won't be able to shithouse us when we have all the possession ?.

35 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

It’s the best way taking it one game at a time. It’s great that Frank Lampard has got us playing attacking football.

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Chances are we would still have a back 4 and CDM who are good in the air.

Also we could actually leave 2 or 3 players outside the box so the opposition cant overload it anyway...be nice to not have everyone back on corners!

Noticed this today. Wilson was pushed up on there corner for a breakaway.

what a breath of fresh air!!

I've not read through the thread so apologies if I'm repeating. It was a friendly I know but I really enjoyed the game. No pressure nice to watch , pleasing on the eye and you can see a natural progression through all the pre season games. 

Joe Ledley was fantastic today best game I've seen him have in a Derby shirt. 

Max Lowe again was fantastic and a must to start against Reading

Tim Lawrence is going to be top draw this season 

Regarding the newbys , Mason Mount is going to be a class act , Wilson did well , and Jozefzoon is like lightening .

Just to add to watch a game of football you bar steward's who sit in block m in the West stand lower are spoilt rotten , what a view ?. I'm usually in the North east corner .

52 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

UTR!

Thats true, but whatever strategy we adopt there will always be a weakness. 

I'd rather watch a team who can play - even if we concede a few from corners and free kicks - than a team who can head it and kick it away, but can't do much else besides. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Thats true, but whatever strategy we adopt there will always be a weakness. 

I'd rather watch a team who can play - even if we concede a few from corners and free kicks - than a team who can head it and kick it away, but can't do much else besides. 

Totally agree and much more enjoyable to watch than percentage football.

Archived