v Southampton (H) Match Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick mention about Southampton - I know it’s early pre season for them and they may be missing some important players I just don’t know but they were truly dreadful and if they spent a lot of money on them defenders I would be very worried if I was them 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Just a quick mention about Southampton - I know it’s early pre season for them and they may be missing some important players I just don’t know but they were truly dreadful and if they spent a lot of money on them defenders I would be very worried if I was them 

Their Premiership survival will probably come down to how quickly they decide to sack Mark Hughes. I'd suggest now-ish would be a good time.

Awful, boring managerial appointment. They should've taken a punt on Frank.

Well, that was an absolutely excellent game of football. Some fantastic individual performances as well which were a pleasure to watch. Clearly you can’t get carried away by anything in preseason, just like you couldn’t after the Mansfield game, but there was real promise in that performance. My view on the game FWIW:

Carson 6- Still some work to be done on distribution as expected, but the odd good save

Wisdom 6- Some good play, but guilty of going one too far and making mistakes at times with loose passing

Keogh 7- Did his job as we expect

Davies 8- Much more like Davies than early pre season, seemed much more assured 

Lowe 9- Odd mistake apart, an absolutely phenomenal performance, sublime on the ball and won some great challenges too

Ledley 9- Perfect example of how to play the role, cool and calm

Mount 7- Little rusty but you can see his quality

Bryson 9- Another fantastic energetic performance, like Bryson pre 2015 injury

Wilson 9- This lad is a player, intelligent movement and real quality in the final third

Nugent 7- Tried his best, good pressing and occasional linkup

Lawrnece 10 MOM- Best game in a derby shirt, made the right decisions at key times and two well taken goals

Few things I’ve picked up from that performance that’s worth noting. Still need a CF imo who’s better suited to this system, glaringly obvious today we were often playing around Nugent rather than through him as an outlet, big priority now despite the obviously excellent performance. Lowe remains our best leftback imo as I’ve always said, hope his injury isn’t too bad, would look at loaning someone in to compete either way up. Only other concern for me lies in depth really, especially centre mid, In terms of those who can play this quick possession football system. Need to move quite a lot of the old cloggers on and bring in a few players to compete/rotate imo.

Other than that it’s all looking positive here, with the style of play getting the best out of our attackers. Always the fear in me that worries how we’ll cope under pressure defensively due to the open style of play but I’ll try me best to put that out my head for now and hope that we don’t do a zola at brum?. Signs are very positive at the moment, that was a tremendous showing against a prem side. UTR!

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This positivity is nice and all, but Bris told us this season is a write off already, so we shouldn't get too excited... ?

It’s also a good job Brentford gave us Jozefzoon for free as we definitely couldn’t have afforded him otherwise.

20 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I'm in Greece at the minute but I was cheering every goal. Keep playing like this and we will show people what the derby was is. Can anyone who was at the game tell me what it was like to watch us play that way again and general thoughts on the game 

Amazing display of quality controlled football. so many players available in free space and we now have five players who can pass anywhere on the field. The players exuded confidence like could not have been dreamt of. two new signings exude maturity and brain power. Cannot really think of another player that we have had like Wilson. Fouling him was the chosen response. Lowe looked a class act. So many options on the bench. Vydra would have thought it was his birthday today. A target man is option B with these players interpassing. Better players still to arrive. We will win this league this year. If we do not then we will at least be the most watchable team in the league. The interactions between these players after miore game time will be Premiership standard.

42 minutes ago, Newleaf said:

Good game. 

Standout players. 

Lowe (hope he is ok as he went off injured  )

Lawrence  and Ledley for me. 

Still need a centre forward IMO but the Rams looked good today. 

Do I detect a bit of belief and positivity here, have you finally pulled yourself together? ?

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Wasn't sure, but it was a fiver well spent to watch from the Sagan sofa.

A nice quote from their forum:

"It's a pre-season game, so I expect a certain degree of crapness but we are managing to make Derby look like Barca."

Lovely to see us playing joyous passing attacking football, even in a pre-season friendly. There'll be a smile on Mel's face tonight too and he deserves it. He'll be thinking he's rediscovered his famed "Derby way".

I thought, Man City but Barca is the aim.

Rowett's team played like Barcamona.

Any word on why Jerome and Blackman weren't involved? Transfers in the offing maybe? Be surprised if someone wasn't willing to take Jerome after his end of season form. Maybe SM fancies Blackman at QPR after seeing him last season. Pure speculation. Also any word on why Elsnik is yet to be involved. Could imagine him doing a job at Peterborough maybe.... ?

The real test as to how far we have come since last season will come against Wolves next week in my opinion. We were outclassed and in awe of them in both games.

I quite like how this pre season we have organised it so we are only up against English sides as it will be more of what we will be up against in terms of style throughout the season. Whilst it was nice to play against Benfica and Hoffenheim in pre season the last few years, I question how much we really got out of playing against teams like them as we won’t face teams those sort of teams all season.

53 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Just got back, we were absolutely exceptional.

Mount took a few minutes, but once he had settled into the game he looked like he had more time on the ball than the players around him, and played through balls with a lovely weight.

Wilson was quick and lively, played a great pass to Lawrence who probably should have scored. Looked very dangerous.

Bryson was excellent, ran all day, closed down and played some great passes.

Max Lowe, my man of the match. Was quick, direct, dangerous and closed down the play in defense so well. Should be our first choice left back.

Lawrence, two great finishes for his goals. Helped the team press extremely well, was always open for a pass and took it past defenders well, great game for him.

Overall, we look like we are going to rip teams apart with quick, incisive passing and one touch football and play with a high press that was very effective today. Very impressive.

How can he have Sir for he is 31, his legs have gone and he may as well take to the field in a wheelchair. ?

53 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Just got back, we were absolutely exceptional.

Mount took a few minutes, but once he had settled into the game he looked like he had more time on the ball than the players around him, and played through balls with a lovely weight.

Wilson was quick and lively, played a great pass to Lawrence who probably should have scored. Looked very dangerous.

Bryson was excellent, ran all day, closed down and played some great passes.

Max Lowe, my man of the match. Was quick, direct, dangerous and closed down the play in defense so well. Should be our first choice left back.

Lawrence, two great finishes for his goals. Helped the team press extremely well, was always open for a pass and took it past defenders well, great game for him.

Overall, we look like we are going to rip teams apart with quick, incisive passing and one touch football and play with a high press that was very effective today. Very impressive.

Absolutely agree with you, Andicis. If anything, a little understated.

Passing looked so easy. Intuitive football at times as if they had been playing like it for a couple of seasons.

Archived