v Southampton (H) Match Thread

25 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Their Premiership survival will probably come down to how quickly they decide to sack Mark Hughes. I'd suggest now-ish would be a good time.

Awful, boring managerial appointment. They should've taken a punt on Frank.

One of the managers that has decided to sack Eric Steele in their time, includes the likes of Moyes, Clement and Peter Jackson, the majority have not gone on to good things.  Mr. Rush, another involved in his sacking here, got sacked as well. 

That bloke at Manchester United who kept him on as a replacement for Tony Coton until he retired didn't do too bad if I am remembering correctly.

As such the sooner Hughes is sacked the better as far as I'm concerend.

Am sure that it's no coincidence that the rise of good young English keepers (Pickford, Henderson, Woodman et al) has a little to do with Eric now working at St. Georges Park for the FA.

Also, brilliant performance today been a long time since we've played nice football.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Thank you for not saying 'disinterested' ?

At this point I have become disinterested in negative crapola after watching silky football that was not going to happen last season. I am uninterested in reading reports about what we need to do now. We need to sit back and watch Frank get us promoted with a team that hold its own in the Premiership. I will be interested to see how long Frank has to stay before they offer him the Chelsea job. - 3 years.

Great for us to be playing football again after a 4 year sabbatical!!

for all those that didn’t go, you missed a treat guys

it was good that both teams tried to play the ball out the back. We were just better at bringing it out and pressing their back line

no negatives today but I do feel a better striker is required for the starting spot.

58 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Better going forward than wisdom. Was highly rated at Boro. 

That's all very well but the first requirement of a fullback is to be able to defend and Christie couldn't - his positional play was awful. Given the recent signings we look to have enough forward-thinking players so even more essential that we keep it tight in defence.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

That's all very well but the first requirement of a fullback is to be able to defend and Christie couldn't - his positional play was awful. Given the recent signings we look to have enough forward-thinking players so even more essential that we keep it tight in defence.

Yeah yeah yeah. Jokanovic thinks otherwise.

our biggest risk is over passing at the back and getting caught in possession.

47 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Their Premiership survival will probably come down to how quickly they decide to sack Mark Hughes. I'd suggest now-ish would be a good time.

Awful, boring managerial appointment. They should've taken a punt on Frank.

Don’t!!! lol it already worries me if we get off to a good start playing great football that prem teams will come knocking ....I was unsure of appointing Frank but am really excited by his start to managerial life ??....could be a master stroke by Mel 

Lowe (hope injury minor) Bryson, Lawrence, Wilson and Mount all stood out

Ledley was immense, the only thing that we didn't seem to have was the thru

passes that Thorne and Huddlestone provide - this is not a criticism, just an observation.

Keogh and Davies looking good again, Youngsters phenomenal, Bennet needs to start.

Most enjoyable match for a long time!!

4 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

Lowe (hope injury minor) Bryson, Lawrence, Wilson and Mount all stood out

Ledley was immense, the only thing that we didn't seem to have was the thru

passes that Thorne and Huddlestone provide - this is not a criticism, just an observation.

Keogh and Davies looking good again, Youngsters phenomenal, Bennet needs to start.

Most enjoyable match for a long time!!

Ledley put the through ball for the first goal did 't he?

30 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Great for us to be playing football again after a 4 year sabbatical!!

for all those that didn’t go, you missed a treat guys

it was good that both teams tried to play the ball out the back. We were just better at bringing it out and pressing their back line

no negatives today but I do feel a better striker is required for the starting spot.

Great one liner, ER

22 minutes ago, Saity said:

Don’t!!! lol it already worries me if we get off to a good start playing great football that prem teams will come knocking ....I was unsure of appointing Frank but am really excited by his start to managerial life ??....could be a master stroke by Mel 

I was too until I listened to him and saw the Notts Co game. He totally knows what he’s doing and he will get us up. I’m quite sure of that...I don’t think he’ll be tempted away because he is a chap of integrity and intelligence and he will be a man of his word. 

Very satisfying performance! The new signings are footballers, very comfortable on the ball, very quick, footballing brains, and it looks like Frank has got that mentality into the rest of the squad because the entire team (all 20-odd of them) were capable of finding their team-mates time and time again - a rare sight over recent years, and one of our biggest downfalls.

As many have said, we seem to have gone back in time a few years, the football was a joy to the eye. To the point that I have to wonder whether Southampton were really that bad, or were made to look that bad. There is the proviso that it was a pre-season match, so some of the challenges were on the soft side. But I noticed that Southampton started the second half with a bit more urgency, but they also injected a fair bit of Hughes thuggery as well. There is no room for those sort of "take-the-man-out" tackles in a pres-season friendly, but thankfully no-one was stretchered off.

So after a few years in the wilderness, we have "Reasons to be Cheerful - Part3"!

Archived