v Southampton (H) Match Thread

16 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Don’t want to be a party pooper bud 

but let’s just calm down a bit shall we,

its encouraging, v v v encouraging but we’ve won nothing today, not 3 points and certainly not promotion just like against Mansfield we didn’t lose 3 points and it didn’t mean we were going to get relegated 

How we are to play is now clear. Have we got players who can do it? I think so. Why calm down, it has been crap for quite awhile. Enjoy some euphoria, it is free.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jono said:

As a founder member of the happy clappy society I reserve the right to be completely over excited

I just loved it. Every second. The older heads like Leadley and the imperious Huddlestone did exactly what the experience end of a balanced team should do ... just keep it all together while the young guns went out on raiding parties. The precise opposite of last year where they controlled everything and just let the kids have a moment or two to run off some spirit. 

We didn’t play 433 and we weren’t Mac 1 ... unless MAC 1 had Sat Nav, Alloys, a turbo and variable geometry. After a settle down period we played dominant football (with the odd slip up - but who cares ) 

Wilson and Mount, so mobile, energetic and flexible. Nuge a bit slow to start and I thought he run out of legs came in to it as time went by.

Bryson making so many off the ball intelligent runs and later on a shot on target - back to his best. Lawrence, bit hurried to start and then, (frankly speaking ? ) ended up strutting like rooster of the walk. Even Butters looked tidy. What price him as away match choice at CM. ?

Random asides in no particular order. And yes this is all a bit OTT but that was entertainment and football all at once ??

Leadley = John Eustace with a beard

Bennet = razor sharp picking up that rebound

Flo Jo = two magic touches and 2 not so magic ones but pretty sure he’s got the star dust and we are going to love him

Hudds = classiest old brand of glue available on the market today 

Keogh and Davies = Ronseal

Max Lowe = future 8 figure value .. hope we’ve got him nailed down 

Bryson = not an old dog .. doesn’t need new tricks 

Wisdom = full of it

Butterfield = well you know clean slates might not just be clichés

Vydra still to come back = now won’t that be interesting !  

Who needs a target man or a battering Ram when you have skilled all round footballers playing with intent and panache 

Team 2 = came out wanting to be in team 1 without a sulk in them. 

Friendly ..yes Southampton poor ..maybe 

But all said and done that the most athletic flowing DCFC I have seen for a fair while.

keep it up for the next 2 warm ups and we’ll be peaking for the opening weekend and bouncing when Leeds come visiting

PS .. Is there  a St Frank ? 

From a fellow OTT - great post, Jono.

Frank has put a few million on the squad. Frank knows who he does not want and they will go.

If you want to sign a player, show them this video. 

Seems like an awesome performance. Makes a mockery of the NEP article looking at who will be forest’s “promotion” rivals. They said anything less than top 6 for Forest is a failure, for Lampard if he even gets Derby anywhere near the playoffs it’s success!! ???

Its important we don’t get carried away like our tree hugging neighbours. Its only a friendly and Southampton will be a week behind us in preparation but it’s really encouraging. It seems as a minimum the football will be entertaining.

And to think I wanted someone like Lambert as a steady pair of hands to cost cut. Mel needs commending with his visionary appointment of Frank and it’s provided us all hope and excitement where many felt there wasn’t going to be any.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Ledley put the through ball for the first goal did 't he?

I thought it was Wilson - could be wrong thou, not criticizing Ledley cause he was fantastic

he also got into some good forward positions as well.

I've always known that if the FA were to relegate the bottom six from the Premiership and replace them with the top six from the Championship it would bring back a bit of top level entertainment.

Scrap parachute payments, shake up the whole system!

You say you want a revolution well you know.......

9 hours ago, Rampage said:

How we are to play is now clear. Have we got players who can do it? I think so. Why calm down, it has been crap for quite awhile. Enjoy some euphoria, it is free.

Oh I am, trust me it’s a breath of fresh air

But nonsense posts like that

“ one more signing and promotion is in the bag”

is just rediculous 

it usually comes out of the mouth of someone that equally thinks that we were all set to get relegated after the Mansfield result and performance second half against Mansfield.

just asking for people to calm down and retain a some level headed ness.

this season like any other season will give us highs and lows and I’d love to be able to come on here after a defeat and not have the usual suspects baying for the managers blood 

this club craves stability and it just winds me up when I see people who say we’re brilliant and it’s promtion all the way after one win but it’s relegation, sack the manager, get rid of mel when we lose 

drives me up the wall 

yes let’s enjoy it, the football is shaping up to be infinitely better than last year but let’s not turn into red dogs and start claiming we’ve won the league by end of August cos we’ve won a couple of friendlies shall we 

were better than that ? 

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Looks like we'll never know.

How weird?  I’d like to know how that works with the accountant?

Maybe lots of freebies handed out? Surely they know how many tickets were sold?

Its not a problem though, I only saw the east stand from the tv though.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

How weird?  I’d like to know how that works with the accountant?

Maybe lots of freebies handed out? Surely they know how many tickets were sold?

Or with H&S if anything happened? Must know how many where 'sold' though surely.

Just wandering if anyone knows if /when the match highlights would be on here.

noticed the full Notts 90 minuted is available to watch but not Mansfield.

i went to both so wasn’t fussed about watching it but after Mansfield I thought Id save some match day credits for when poo gets proper serious, (having a season ticket doesn’t half cost me in  “house jobs” and shopping trips) 

So having not gone yesterday I’m gagging to see some footage 

Just now, NottsRam77 said:

Just wandering if anyone knows if /when the match highlights would be on here.

noticed the full Notts 90 minuted is available to watch but not Mansfield.

i went to both so wasn’t fussed about watching it but after Mansfield I thought Id save some match day credits for when poo gets proper serious, (having a season ticket doesn’t half cost me in  “house jobs” and shopping trips) 

So having not gone yesterday I’m gagging to see some footage 

Highlights should be on at 12 noon today normally.

Wasn’t intending to go, but glad I did.  Pleasing performance, good game, some positive signs in terms of style of play and with the new and returning players.  Nice watching a match for the fun of it rather than there being any pressure.  Southampton clearly way behind us in terms of fitness and sharpness.  Reading nothing more into it than a nice positive workout and a pleasant afternoon spent avoiding the weeding.

Archived