v Southampton (H) Match Thread

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They're consoling themselves that their WC players (Yoshida for one) are not back.

But they're worried that the inclusion of their 18m CB has saw their defensive organisation get worse rather than better.

That's a very tall CB

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good performance and result but did we learn anything we didn’t know? We shouldn’t get carried away when we win today or lose like we did against Mansfield. Bryson’s key to this system and I wouldn’t really be comfortable if he was injured for any period of time. 

If we sign a top striker though who is energetic then the front 3 will be even better. Said this the other night but Nugent isn’t the man.

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Indeed, he was always a centre forward. Sticking him on the wing always seemed to me to be a lack of faith to play him as the striker. Certainly sniffing out the goals  at the moment, would like to see him start against Wolves personally.

edit: forgot about Coventry....start that game first ?

I could get behind that idea mate, I personally don’t think nugent or Jerome would be up to it this season so more than happy to give Mason a run. 

4 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Bennett did this last pre-season too, having been writen off by most of us he played his way into the team and featured 1st few games if I recall. But got that injury AGAIN 

That is true. Like I said he looks stronger to me, so I’m hopeful that won’t happen. But he certainly needs to prove he can stay fit for a season.

Carson 8 - made a few good saves but the most pleasing aspect of his performance for me was how he would sprint to roll the ball out and start an attack once he collected it. We all know his kicking isn't his strong point, so if he can continue to do that and not give the opposition chance to mark the short options I think it'll be beneficial for us

Wisdom 8 - bullied some of Saints players at times and linked up well with Wilson

Keogh 8 - don't write him off just yet people, he's in a system that is perfect for him

Davies 8 - looked like his usual self today after a couple of poor performances recently

Lowe 10 - hope the injury isn't bad because he could have just solved Frank's left back problem with a 60-70 minute performance

Mount 8 - it's like Hughes reincarnated

Ledley 8 - the competition between him and Huddlestone for the defensive mid role will be interesting. I think he just took the lead with that performance

Bryson 8 - please never leave us. At one point he just put a massive grin on my face. There had been a bunch of subs and the game had calmed down with Saints just passing around the back a little. Then I just see Bryson come flying from midfield to charge the ball down, he's great

Wilson 9 - very impressed. Linked up well with everyone around him, created chances and wasn't afraid to run at his man or have a shot. That ball to put Lawrence through was incredible

Nugent 8 - worked hard as he usually does. Still think we need a new striker but he must be brilliant for the dressing room, in particular the younger players who have any nerves

Lawrence 10 (MOTM) - Lampard seems to have given him more freedom than Rowett (and confidence) and he's suddenly turned into the Lawrence we were originally expecting who scored for fun at Ipswich

Notable subs:

Bird 7 - was very calm on the ball and did well

Pearce 7 - thought he did very well and brought a bit of calm to a defence that was full of kids

Huddlestone 7 - great ball to Flo Jo that lead to the goal

Flo Jo 7 - took a while to get into the game but seemed to grow in confidence. Will probably think he should have scored the 1 on 1 but it was an incredible save

Thomas 7 - really hope he gets chances this season because he looks like a brilliant talent

Bennett 8 - 3 in 3 now. Honestly never expected him to be such a poacher in the box, it's like watching a young Darren Bent. He just reacts quicker than everyone around him

Very impressed with that.

all 3 new players did well, Wilson especially. 

Got to be optimistic after that, some lovely movement, fast flowing football. Great work rate all players new what they had to do and linked up well, some good coaching from lampard and Morris they’ve soon got out  of that defensive minded play! 

Carson 7- decent easy day 

Lowe 8- very good won every second ball

Keogh 7- solid

Davies7- best pre season game for him 

Wisdom 7- a little sloppy but made up for it every time 

Ledley 7- always where you want him

bryson 7- Still running now 

Mount7- grew into the game 

Lawrence 9- that’s the Lawrence we paid good money for 

nugent 7- kept running 

Wilson 8 very good left foot some cracking balls in! 

Subs 

Huddlestone 7

bennett 7 

josefzoon 7 

bird 8 

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Wow,just wow.

The best I ever seen us play since Mac's day...an absolute pleasure to watch.

I can't believe the difference in our players when not forced to lump the ball up the field constantly.

We might be onto something here.

The sad thing is we'd be even better with the players rowett ditched - namely hughes and christie.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He would just enhance the team...he's made for this system,Nugent was lost.

He’s made for the loan market

15 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Scenes when VAR reviews a trip and its @RoyMac5 bottom lip causing the offence because Martin is way down the pecking order ??

Not necessary.

18 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

Bit of both, we were far quicker than them and had that desire to play and win.

Southampton looked slow and disinterested

It's only preseason mind, but Derby have put in a performance to get excited about. Southampton should be very worried. I'm gonna tip em for relegation this season.

Let's hope AndyinLiverpool doesn't read this!

Mark Hughes' side never got going and were largely outplayed by Frank Lampard's Rams.

Tom Lawrence netted a brace before Mason Bennett slotted in for Derby's third on 81 minutes.

Saints were poor all over the park but especially at the back, with Jannik Vestergaard and Wesley Hoedt struggling to contain the Rams' attack. [3-0}

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16369565.derby-county-3-0-southampton-as-it-happened/

1 minute ago, mozza said:

Well chuffed, and that's just from following the game on this thread, keep it up lads. ?

If you get chance mate, watch the full 90 back. It's only pre-season of course, but that was some of the nicest football I've seen us play for a good year or 2 at least

Archived