v Mansfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

I'm quite glad about a couple of things.

1) I couldn't get Rams TV to play.

2) I Didn't try until the match was finished!

Ill wind eh?

Saved £5

The first half team bossed it, mind you, didn’t score.

obviously, it’s only a friendly. Just tell the red dogs, 

Lampard out!

Bennett always seems a decent player when given the chance, hope this is his season to shine.

Praying we sign a forward. Jerome and Nugent especially won’t get us very far, very average set of options in those pair.

9 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Suggest stay off social media, red dogs already loving it ?

Let them. We'd be the same if it was them that just lost 3-1 to a league 2 side tbf, but most importantly - we'll have the last laugh this season :)

You can’t judge anything at this stage of pre season but fitness imo, none of the sides we’ve put out so far are anywhere near what will start the season. We’ve looked pretty energetic and played the ball around well and that’s good enough for me at this stage. Saturday is where things step up a gear and well want to look more at where we currently stand, especially against prem opposition.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Not basing it off this game as I felt the same last season but can some tell me what Nugent brings to the team? 

I’d be looking to move him and/or Jerome on and keep Martin to be honest.

Runs around like a headless chicken. By the end of the season, he wasn't scoring at all.

Just now, Kernow said:

It's almost as if after a 4-1 win against a League Two side and 3-1 loss against a League Two side, pre-season results aren't really a great indicator to how a season will go...

Exactly.

It was poor though, at no point did it really look good, but I'm hoping Frank expected that and wanted to have it proved one way or the other.

I'm hoping the performance doesn't leave him with much to chew on, but has confirmed what he thought he knew.

8 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

I'm quite glad about a couple of things.

1) I couldn't get Rams TV to play.

2) I Didn't try until the match was finished!

Ill wind eh?

I can beat that. I

watched a reasonably impressive first half and then got totally distracted during half time and totally forgot to watch the second half.

Result!

My name is Mathius and I'm just a poor old man and my eyes are old and bent.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Runs around like a headless chicken. By the end of the season, he wasn't scoring at all.

Yeah I felt the same but some users said it was due to poor form. For me, it was too long a spell for it to be just poor form.  He doesn’t really run around as much as he used to either or as effectively because he’s old. 

At least you know what you get with Martin, even as a back up and he’s never relied on pace like Jerome or Nugent do so he won’t decline as quickly. Genuinely don’t think current Jerome and Nugent are good enough for a top league 1 side anymore, let alone us.

Admittedly he was playing in a position that doesn’t suit him, but Jamie Hanson...oh dear

Never looks in control, countless misplaced passes and always looks an accident waiting to happen in tackles.

Don’t want to scapegoat the lad, but I cannot see how he gets on the team sheet when the real business starts.

Maybe time to cut our losses?

The Good 

The first half team performed similar to the Notts game. Sloppy play from Hanson, Huddlestone and Jerome kept on breaking down our attacks but the general play would have please Frank. The 433 were close in lines and players just constantly overlapped and dropped in here and there to create options. 

The Bad

The second half team certainly didn't get it. They played in strict positions like Rowett would have them. Huge gap between CB's and CF. Huge gap!!! No interchange and it meant they could press Thorne and the defending half of our team while having an accurate map of where our team were. Very predictable. The style was much more forced. Balls down the line, balls lifted over into space on the wings. Basically a team caught in transformation as a defence played passing and the attack played kick and chase.

The Ugly

Jamie Hanson very poor, Tom Huddlestone sloppy, Cameron Jerome lost the ball every time. Bradley Johnson is just rubbish. Just like at Notts he sees fit to smash the ball for absolutely no reason. He lifts it off the floor for no reason. Blackman showed no signs of carrying an attack. 

Other players were a bit poor. Bogle was naive, Thorne was like a tractor etc etc but I don't think any of them set off alarm bells.  Hanson, Jerome, Blackman and Johnson have surely only made Lampard think of the transfer market because of their decision making and lack of technical ability. 

Over the two games I think if Lampard had to pick a team 

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth, Ledley, Bryson, Butterfield, Thomas, Nugent, Lawrence would be it. 

That's the players that have been able to move freely within the system and have shown good aggressive passing and composure. 

But it's a team that I very much doubt he's happy to face Reading with. Bennett and Lowe have to keep fighting. Davies needs to shake off the rust. Huddlestone too needs to just wake up a bit. 

The rest need to seriously catch up. Way off the pace imo. 

Archived