v Mansfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

There’s a style of play that’s trying to be implemented. That’s good to see. It’s also clear that some are getting it (and thriving in it) a lot more than others.

Biggest area of concern for me is the striker. But I’m sure Lampard will see that, clear as day...

He does have the leagues reigning golden boot winner to come in yet, plus Martin. I’d like to see them first before we panic. I think we are quite well stocked in this department.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

He does have the leagues reigning golden boot winner to come in yet, plus Martin. I’d like to see them first before we panic. I think we are quite well stocked in this department.

Not sure Vydra can play in a 4-3-3 and, a bit like Bryson, I think Martin’s best days are behind him. 

Each to their own, though! 

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Sounds like no one has trained tough pre-season weeks with an even tougher camp where you up your training to 2-3 times a day? I know I 've and more I had years, more frustrating the friendlies were. Cement on the feet is a damn accurate way to put it, that's exactly how it feels too.

I would be worried if our oldest and heaviest player would at the moment look like ducking Robert Pires, whose feet barely touched the pitch when he run...I'll start to worry in September if there is still a reason for that.

ps. Okay, Hanson and Bogle are not there age-wise, but ability-wise I don't think they should be knocking on our first team.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Cheers @Dimmu. I got the gist of your message....lactic acid in your legs, aching muscle, shin splint all part and parcel of pre-season. The mental energy required to keep concentrating when your body is depleted adds to the sense of being drained of Adrenalin. The body learns to recover quicker if you keep pushing it and that is what “pre-season” and “fitness” means. 

Didn't see the game but the players will have had another tough training session in the morning before playing in the evening. It's what pre-season is about, and is meant to hurt and be a struggle. Super Frank and the rest will see who is struggling, who wants to work hard and who is trying to play the way they're being drilled. Good to hear gorgeous George is looking slim. If his fitness holds he can be the technical player to anchor the system. Oh for Martin and Vydra on the pitch to show what they can do. And I look forward to see what the new boys bring to the party.

Well that was an interesting evening at the oldest professional football ground in the world.  Presume it's true but didn't know that.  Not a bad little ground, once they let you in, good surface, three good stands and one non-existant one.

A number of interesting bits apart from the football. The warm up process is very different - some mini game but not as much, a lot of ball work with players in pairs and no shooting practice for strikers and others.  Whether any of that will change remains to be seen.  Secondly, I've never seen a Derby manager get applauded by opposition fans before the match. It'll be interesting to see if that continues into the season but it looks as if Frank is loved more widely than just in Derby. And thirdly, Jody Morris. For one relatively small he strikes me as a brooding, malevolent presence. Ying to Frank's yang.  I wouldn't like to cross him if I were a player.  And I'm very glad he is too.  We need someone like that in the club - an Archie or a Carlin to tell everyone the truth.  Wish we had it on the pitch a bit more.  It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up as Chelsea's manager and not Frank.  But that's for the future.  I like him. He won't be bothered whether I do or don't.

And as for the game.  Forgettable in many ways. Thomas continued to make a good case to feature regularly in the squad and maybe the team; Bogle was good in bits; I thought Tom Lawrence did well overall and Bryson too; Mason took his goal well and was lively; Andre was an interesting centre half and did OK.

We gave 3 sloppy goals away and that was disappointing. A number did their chances of featuring no good at all including Jamie Hanson (a pity), Thorne (a big pity), Roos, Blackman and Butters.  

Saturday's team will be interesting because tonight was always a game to give opportunities to players to get some match practice but Saturday will be different and we will see whether and how Mount and Wilson fit in.

And, finally. Style.  This feels to be very different from Rowett's way.  And Clement's. Keeping possession, making triangles, players moving into space to receive the ball, plenty of hard work and lots of running when we don't have the ball, to close down and get it back but also getting it forward quickly.  This style feels to me like hard work, especially at this time of the season. It wouldn't surprise me if we got off to a slow start, results wise.  But stick with it fellow fans it could be a lot of fun.

9 hours ago, Kernow said:

Hopefully we can judge more after this Southampton game. I'd hope it would be a game where Lampard takes it more seriously in the sense we aren't going to field two different sides, and play players who realistically have no real future as main players in this side.

It'll be nice to get a good look at Mount and Wilson and how Lampard plans to integrate them into the side.

Frank did say, and I quote "This is a clean slate". Therefor he needs to take a look at all players to assess who he intends to keep/sell. The only way is either play 11 in each half for the first 2/3 games or have about 10 preseason games. As we only have 5 he has to do it this way. 

I don't think Frank is not taking it seriously and after last night I am sure he now knows those who can and those who can't, with a few who might be able to.

I will expect a more stable squad for Saturday with maybe 4 or 5 subs during the game.

Well two games and frank has seen the curse of derby ,, one game look decent ,lots of promise and you think yes we can build on that ,,, very next game totally dire , can’t string two passes together , give the ball away cheaply time after time and look like rabbits in the headlights if teams press us high ,, lots to be done but we do have some decent players ,, Thomas has been a breath of fresh air ,, kid has real promise and the fearlessness want the ball all the time of youth we need ,, 

10 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Frank did say, and I quote "This is a clean slate". Therefor he needs to take a look at all players to assess who he intends to keep/sell. The only way is either play 11 in each half for the first 2/3 games or have about 10 preseason games. As we only have 5 he has to do it this way. 

I don't think Frank is not taking it seriously and after last night I am sure he now knows those who can and those who can't, with a few who might be able to.

I will expect a more stable squad for Saturday with maybe 4 or 5 subs during the game.

This was from my worry from the get go. A new manager coming in saying it’s a fresh start for everybody when in reality most people on this forum could tell you who’s up to it and who ain’t. I get he needs to make his own decision on the players but it’s wasted 2 weeks of his ote season IMO. Anya, Butterfield, Blackman, Johnson, Nugent, Jerome, Pearce and I hate to say it but Davies aren’t made for playing quick tempo possession football. 

Weve changed from a footballing side, sold our best footballers to change to a clogged side and now we’re trying to change back to a footballing side but don’t really have the players to do it.

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Well that was an interesting evening at the oldest professional football ground in the world.  Presume it's true but didn't know that.  Not a bad little ground, once they let you in, good surface, three good stands and one non-existant one.

A number of interesting bits apart from the football. The warm up process is very different - some mini game but not as much, a lot of ball work with players in pairs and no shooting practice for strikers and others.  Whether any of that will change remains to be seen.  Secondly, I've never seen a Derby manager get applauded by opposition fans before the match. It'll be interesting to see if that continues into the season but it looks as if Frank is loved more widely than just in Derby. And thirdly, Jody Morris. For one relatively small he strikes me as a brooding, malevolent presence. Ying to Frank's yang.  I wouldn't like to cross him if I were a player.  And I'm very glad he is too.  We need someone like that in the club - an Archie or a Carlin to tell everyone the truth.  Wish we had it on the pitch a bit more.  It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up as Chelsea's manager and not Frank.  But that's for the future.  I like him. He won't be bothered whether I do or don't.

And as for the game.  Forgettable in many ways. Thomas continued to make a good case to feature regularly in the squad and maybe the team; Bogle was good in bits; I thought Tom Lawrence did well overall and Bryson too; Mason took his goal well and was lively; Andre was an interesting centre half and did OK.

We gave 3 sloppy goals away and that was disappointing. A number did their chances of featuring no good at all including Jamie Hanson (a pity), Thorne (a big pity), Roos, Blackman and Butters.  

Saturday's team will be interesting because tonight was always a game to give opportunities to players to get some match practice but Saturday will be different and we will see whether and how Mount and Wilson fit in.

And, finally. Style.  This feels to be very different from Rowett's way.  And Clement's. Keeping possession, making triangles, players moving into space to receive the ball, plenty of hard work and lots of running when we don't have the ball, to close down and get it back but also getting it forward quickly.  This style feels to me like hard work, especially at this time of the season. It wouldn't surprise me if we got off to a slow start, results wise.  But stick with it fellow fans it could be a lot of fun.

Couldn't agree more with your match report, the 2nd half back four was terrible, constantly pulled out of position. Davies and Wisdom dealt with the directness of the Mansfield attack but Keogh and Pearce seem to struggle also Mansfield added pace in the second half which had Bogle caught out a few times.

Byson looked superb even in a friendly he but some hard tackle in. I did think Butterfield did ok, maybe not enough to show for 1st team place.  Thorne was very poor, I just hope this is because it's his first game in 3/4 months but he couldn't make a pass, got knocked off the ball. The trouble was our build up was too slow, it gave Mansfield time to put two banks of four to defend. Nuge missed a absolute sitting after we did manage to hit mansfield quickly.  I just wished some of the players took a few pop shots at goal especially when their cut inside onto their prefered foot from the wing, after all this how we scored a pop shot saved by the keeper and we followed it up.

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

A great assessment and some very noteworthy insights @ilkleyramgood cop Frank and mean little barsteward Morris. Football is really a very simple game. Get the ball pass it and score. When you haven’t got it, get it back, pass and score. Get the ball, pass it and score....far too much waffle talked about 4-2-1-2-1, 3-2-1-2-2, etc 

I too can see us labour,  experiment and limp along a bit but then flourish after Xmas when the white swan emerges from the ugly duckling. ?

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

... And thirdly, Jody Morris. For one relatively small he strikes me as a brooding, malevolent presence. Ying to Frank's yang.  I wouldn't like to cross him if I were a player.  And I'm very glad he is too.  We need someone like that in the club - an Archie or a Carlin to tell everyone the truth.  Wish we had it on the pitch a bit more.  It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up as Chelsea's manager and not Frank.  But that's for the future.  I like him. He won't be bothered whether I do or don't.

This is great. I can feel some weird love thang for Jody coming on! ?

10 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We are crying out for a top class forward. Really lacking in that area 

We'll get one I'm sure. Martin and Vydra still under assessment by Frank and Co. and if they're not fit for purpose then there will definitely be juggling. Thing is quality strikers of the level we need are fairly scarce and don't come cheap so it's going to hinge on something like Chelsea's plans for Abraham or a chunk of incoming money to buy one.

My thoughts on last night. 

1st half

-Tom Lawrence looks sharp and more direct. I feel he will have more of a free role under Frank that being made to defend first by the Snake

-Tom Huddlestone looks calm and brilliant going sideways but his passing forward looked poor. Maybe only a one off but there was a couple of times last year that he did the same

- Andre Wisdom looked very good at CB, but with us lacking a proper right back i don't think this is a viable option. 

- Craig Bryson's energy is fantastic and will be key for us i hope

2nd half

-Woeful, dull, slow, lethargic and uninterested. Only Mason Bennett came out of that half with any credit

- Kelle Roos: I had high hopes that Kelle could crack on and develop himself this season as he seems a really nice lad. Hard to judge his ability to make saves from last night but he looked very uncomfortable on the ball and he made more than one mistake.

- George Thorne: A shadow of what he once was. He looks injured when he runs which is well of the pace now. I do hope i'm wrong and would be happy to be proved wrong but i think his injuries really have caught up with him. 

- David Nugent: The pro-activeness that made Nugent the player he was looks like it's in its twilight and he is become more reactive to situations. Missed a good opportunity that he really should have scored. 

I like Nugent's attitude, how he plays with a smile on his face and has a laugh and a joke but he needs to back it up wit good performances.

Other comments

- I was disappointed by some of our fans last night. Friendlies provide a fantastic opportunity for fans to take their sons/daughters to games and give them an experience of football in a more relaxed atmosphere than a league fixture.

The thing i was disappointed with was a middle aged man standing up in the middle of the stand and loudly saying "i'm a real fan, not a day tripper, so i'm standing" blocking off the view of small children and families behind him. (He soon realised he was fighting a loosing battle and sat down). 

But the most annoying thing...... Who actually booed at a pre season friendly? 

And Finally

- How good were the drinks on the Stags concourse. IPA, Carling and Koppaberg! put PPS to shame 

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

We didn’t hear any booing,there was even a ripple of applause for Butters taking a corner.

People need to get a grip,if they’re booing.

It was immediately after the 3rd goal and just bizarre to be honest. People saying we were useless, get a grip, Frank's got his work cut out, etc, etc as they trundled out of the stand.

We lost a friendly, get over it!

Archived