v Mansfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Didn't see you until you walked behind the goal as you were leaving or I would have come and said hello. Sorry no Martin on show for Joel. 

Well he had a great time,managed to stand up till half time.

Raved about Thomas and Lawrence.

Very unhappy about the lack of Wardrobe and Tammy Abraham???

When I told him he didn’t play for us he calmed down a bit(his hearing is shocking).

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I had some problems at sending my message and you managed to write some sense before me. ?

Cheers @Dimmu. I got the gist of your message....lactic acid in your legs, aching muscle, shin splint all part and parcel of pre-season. The mental energy required to keep concentrating when your body is depleted adds to the sense of being drained of Adrenalin. The body learns to recover quicker if you keep pushing it and that is what “pre-season” and “fitness” means. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Cheers @Dimmu. I got the gist of your message....lactic acid in your legs, aching muscle, shin splint all part and parcel of pre-season. The mental energy required to keep concentrating when your body is depleted adds to the sense of being drained of Adrenalin. The body learns to recover quicker if you keep pushing it and that is what “pre-season” and “fitness” means. 

Exactly. As a player preseason is a pure torture.

But as a fan, I quite like the transfer window with its unknown twists and baseless promises!

One thing pleased me tonight , is that 99% of the time we played in a set way and stuck to it . Kept playing out from the back and passing regardless. Didn't always work but it was nice to see an identity emerging. 

Regarding personnel

Hanson was particularly poor 

Jerome didn't impress 

Lawrence frustrates me and if it wasn't for his big price tag would we think differently of him 

Thomas was good again and must be involved in the first team squad this season 

Bryson ran the midfield 

Nugent did better than he did Saturday 

I'd honestly look at selling Johnson and Blackman 

9 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

One thing pleased me tonight , is that 99% of the time we played in a set way and stuck to it . Kept playing out from the back and passing regardless. Didn't always work but it was nice to see an identity emerging. 

Regarding personnel

Hanson was particularly poor 

Jerome didn't impress 

Lawrence frustrates me and if it wasn't for his big price tag would we think differently of him 

Thomas was good again and must be involved in the first team squad this season 

Bryson ran the midfield 

Nugent did better than he did Saturday 

I'd honestly look at selling Johnson and Blackman 

Good post Sir!

To be honest that is actually a positive result for us as lampard will have seen more of the bad stuff we can and do deliver 

we are missing our best two forwards in my opinion in Martin and Vydra which is worrying but nugent is a nice chap but seriously his legs have gone and he needs them - Blackman, well it will never happen for him - Jerome is not what we need now but at best he would be a sub 

midfield- johnson and Butterfield, nothing needs to be said - thorne - well short still - ledley still decent - Bryson far too good compared to the others 

defenders - still our best arm but the youngsters will make mistakes 

intresting times in terms of how much lampard will trust the youngsters because some of the experienced ones are just not there or may never be depending on the systems we employ 

After reading the positive comments made about the game on Saturday. I arrived in Mansfield full of anticipation, in the hope of seeing a Derby team playing with a style and energy, I've not seen for a while.  Came home full of worries about the coming season.

47 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Huddlestone gave the ball away quite a lot and often didn't have the mobility to recover.

I've got a bit of thing about DMs. It's really easy to hit the full backs with passes and look all pretty. A lot of DMs do this and think they're some kind of Xavi type ultra cool deep playmaker. It's a position where you have more options than anyone else and only a CB has more time. 

The real test is passing through the lines and defending. I thought his passing through the lines was poor, his lack of mobility exposed and several sloppy passes exposed the entire team.

To me spreading the play to the full backs is easy. It looks like you've created space with the pass but it's something Bradley Johnson did for Mac. It's that easy. I don't think you're controlling the game I think the opposition will always stand off and allow that. Why press it? 

I thought the real control came from Wisdom and Lowe stepping up, Bryson and Ledley creating angles after passing the ball and Lawrence eating territory up. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Huddlestone is the best passer in the league. Just tonight all the hard passes were poor and the easy stuff was a mixed bag. Defensively he's a bit of a tractor.  

Happy to agree to disagree mate

u explain ur reasoning and I agree with some of ur points, certainly the easy pass to the full back etc etc 

whatever was happening first half though certainly didn’t happen second half and while wisdom and keogh had very differing games on the ball i think the crux was the shape and abilities of the midfield in each half 

I found first half we trying to move quickley but trying luke on the ball as much as we could who is a little speedy player manfield players did not have a clue how to handle him today game was far far from perfect. But unforntley bad decsions making cost us today but nurgent should took his chance bogle looked nice composed on the ball. But today was get more fitness work in.

There’s a style of play that’s trying to be implemented. That’s good to see. It’s also clear that some are getting it (and thriving in it) a lot more than others.

Biggest area of concern for me is the striker. But I’m sure Lampard will see that, clear as day...

Archived