v Mansfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day

Observations from last night is that nothing as changed from where we were 2 years ago we need to shift the deadwood on and pronto to get the wage bill down which should allow some cash for recruitment.That is easier said than done when these players have a contract and no doubt on good wages.

So poor last night apart from Bryson,Thomas and Huddlestone was ok

Slightly pleased that we put in such a performance as this will now show what FL as taken on here and what needs changing,however we are now only 3 weeks away from the season and time is the essence.

Last few seasons we have made sluggish starts to the new campaigns and i can see the same again this season,lets hope it will not cost us in the long run

On another note well done to MTFC who played really well and deserved there victory,could be a decent season for them  

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Observations from last night is that nothing as changed from where we were 2 years ago we need to shift the deadwood on and pronto to get the wage bill down which should allow some cash for recruitment.That is easier said than done when these players have a contract and no doubt on good wages.

So poor last night apart from Bryson,Thomas and Huddlestone was ok

Slightly pleased that we put in such a performance as this will now show what FL as taken on here and what needs changing,however we are now only 3 weeks away from the season and time is the essence.

Last few seasons we have made sluggish starts to the new campaigns and i can see the same again this season,lets hope it will not cost us in the long run

On another note well done to MTFC who played really well and deserved there victory,could be a decent season for them  

Christ on a bendy bus - It. Was. A. Pre. Season. Friendly.

I don't have a photographic memory of our pre season results but good outcomes in those games <> good season.

34 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

It was immediately after the 3rd goal and just bizarre to be honest. People saying we were useless, get a grip, Frank's got his work cut out, etc, etc as they trundled out of the stand.

We lost a friendly, get over it!

The third goal seemed to signal an exodus but it was ok where we were.

I don’t get it.

12 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

The third goal seemed to signal an exodus but it was ok where we were.

I don’t get it.

Maybe it was where I was sat. I had a group of "LADZ" who thought it was fun to sing about going on the pitch if Blackman scored and standing on the stairway and throw paper aeroplanes all the way through the match at other Rams fans, one hit a young girl in front of me who looked a bit upset.

Such hilarity.

29 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Christ on a bendy bus - It. Was. A. Pre. Season. Friendly.

I don't have a photographic memory of our pre season results but good outcomes in those games <> good season.

Forgive if i am wrong here but are pre season friendlies apart from being used for match fitness not to asses the playing staff and capabilities of said squad, even more so when you have a new manager at the helm.FL would of learnt a hell of a lot from the chalk and cheese display of both halves last night.

1 minute ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Maybe it was where I was sat. I had a group of "LADZ" who thought it was fun to sing about going on the pitch if Blackman scored and standing on the stairway and throw paper aeroplanes all the way through the match at other Rams fans, one hit a young girl in front of me who looked a bit upset.

Such hilarity.

Well,we have to have our percentage of nobs to be fair.

I wish Nick Blackman would score so I could call everyone out on it.

27 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Well,we have to have our percentage of nobs to be fair.

I wish Nick Blackman would score so I could call everyone out on it.

A hat trick against Southampton might assist us to sell him! 

Slept on it thoughts

Standouts:

• Lawrence - looking sharp, needs a big season, looks to have a more free role
  • Thomas - out to impress, think he could have his breakthrough. Hope he starts vs. Southampton
  • Bryson - could we see Bryson of 13/14 back? Surprises me that Rowett let him out, looks like the legs we needed at times, but played too deep at times with Ledley further forward.
  • Lowe - came through 90 minutes well, apart from in the lead up to Mansfield's 3rd.
  • Bennett - built like a sledgehammer, plays like one. Could be lethal with a little more brain. Will have a part to play this season.

The rest:

• Everything seemed to bounce off Cameron Jerome, while Nugent worked hard, he should have finished that golden opportunity.
  • Huddlestone was sloppy, or just a little too casual. Misplaced passes aplenty.
  • Not sure Johnson fits. That said, his speculative effort led to the solitary Derby goal. Physicality could be handy, but otherwise a weak link.
  • Thought Thorne was okay. Played a couple of useful balls to the willing Luke Thomas. Not sure he deserves the flak headed his way, but does need to improve this season.
  • Hanson looked particularly shaky, and Mansfield then starting playing on that. Massive mismatch physically between him and their no.9, sadly he won't be near the first team. Handy as a utility sub, but don't think he'll be any more than that.
  • Commend trying to play out from the back, but there's a time and a place - and we were in trouble as soon as Mansfield cottoned on to it. Pearce, Roos, Keogh all guilty of fannying about with the ball too much. Davies was uncharacteristically edgy too.  
  • Blackman needs to move on for his own career, looks totally devoid of any confidence.

13 hours ago, DcfcJB said:

He does have the leagues reigning golden boot winner to come in yet, plus Martin. I’d like to see them first before we panic. I think we are quite well stocked in this department.

Definitely looking forwards to this pairing being tried,especially as moves away from us are looking more unlikely as pre season continues....makes you wonder whether Frank is  "keeping" them injured to ensure they don't go elsewhere,at least for this formative season.....he will struggle to get more quality into the team on a budget than these two.

It will be interesting to see how he lines them up, whethe it’s one or the other up top - although it remains to be seen whether vydra can play that role, or the two together.  Interestly Mount spent a lot of time playing as a Left attacking mid last year so may well be looking to play bystanders behind the striker with mount and Wilson coming in from the sides. With all three able to interchange and Jozefzoon(hopefully)/Thomas/Bennett/ Lawrence  all able to fit that mould 

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Definitely looking forwards to this pairing being tried,especially as moves away from us are looking more unlikely as pre season continues....makes you wonder whether Frank is  "keeping" them injured to ensure they don't go elsewhere,at least for this formative season.....he will struggle to get more quality into the team on a budget than these two.

You think that Lampard would leave Vydra and Martin out missing pre season games, pretending they are injured just to make sure they don’t leave this summer?

Is that what I just read?

We could just answer the phone and say sorry, not for sale, if that was the case.

39 minutes ago, David said:

You think that Lampard would leave Vydra and Martin out missing pre season games, pretending they are injured just to make sure they don’t leave this summer?

We could just answer the phone and say sorry, not for sale, if that was the case.

Frank would have to tell Mel then!

Shhhhhhhhh.....don't blow it.

58 minutes ago, David said:

I wouldn't of thought that was the motivation behind it, but I don't think it would be too far-fetched to imagine Lampard wanting to make sure neither of them get injured in the pre-season friendlies with potential moves for the pair looking likely? 

No reason not to believe Lampard, but it's not unusual for clubs to keep players out of the pre-season side if there's a move on the horizon. An injury to said player could scupper that. 

Archived