v Mansfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day

I was in disbelief watching that second half. It really was poor. Not to get worried, but I'm glad that's the lower league tests out of the way & we can get set to actually put a team together. 

My thoughts for what it's worth:

7/10s:
Carson - He didn't have much to do, so I had him as a 6/10 until Roos came on. Strange that.
Thomas - He reminds me of Jamie Ward, perhaps the best player in a Derby shirt tonight. Unlucky not to score.
Bryson - Runner up to Thomas for the DMOTM. He's ability to be everywhere is certainly required when trying to pass the ball.
Lawrence - Again, like Thomas & Bryson, he thrives in a footballing team.
Bennett - Deserved goal. He came on and caused problems. He needs games and match practice to improve his decision making. 

6/10s:
Wisdom - Solid at CB. He looks comfortable there. 
Lowe - He played the full 90 which will be good for his development. He looks very good on the ball. Defensively, I think the Premier League games will test him.
Ledley - He's not the fastest midfielder in the world, but he's always in the right position for an option. He doesn't give the ball away often. Solid enough.
Keogh - He really had the job of four men & did what he could. Options were limited for him. I think it would have been worse had he not been there.

5/10s:
Davies - sloppy, again, but needs game time to shake off the cobwebs. I'm not worried about him.
Huddlestone - sloppy passing, uncharacteristic of him, but like Davies I feel he needs minutes and it's nothing to worry about.

4/10s: 
Hanson - poor on the ball, suspect defensively & very unorthodox. He's definitely not a right back. I really don't know what he is at this stage.
Jerome - lazy, genuinely looked uninterested.
Roos - outrageous for their goal. Pearce really hung him out to dry, but there's no excuse to hit it straight at their player.
Thorne - He looked like he was running with concrete blocks strapped to his feet. I can't bring myself to say any more than that.
Johnson - I genuinely think he would make a fantastic ghost on his performance tonight. I barely remember seeing him.
Nugent - He got plated up with a decent chance & missed. Fair enough. He then went into hiding. No presence whatsoever. 

3/10s: 
Bogle - however good he was at the weekend, it was nothing less than a car crash tonight. Everything screamed inexperience & the foul for the penalty was inexplicable. I hope he picks himself up after this. No doubt he has promise, but that was painful to watch.
Pearce - positioning, quality on the ball... everything. He was appalling! Definitely his worst performance in a Derby shirt tonight. 

Thoughts... it's a pre-season friendly, so we haven't dropped any points, but we need to seriously work on our fitness & game management, which were both poor. We have to make the focus group smaller from now on. I can only hope that Vydra & Martin are closing in on a return. 

Disappointing. We deserve all the stick coming our way. 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

positives:

The style- so so much better than Rowettball.

Lawrence-  looked sharp, great bit of skill to open up the defence. 

Thomas - reminds me of Jamie Ward in his style and appearance. Lots of potential. Good use of the ball.

Lowe - calm and composed, retained the ball well and put in some great crosses. 

Bryson - high energy and pressing - we were far better with him on.

Wisdom - looked strong at CB, good distribution. 

Bogle - unlucky with the pen, he should never have been put in that position. Good distribution and looked solid. 

Negatives:

lacking creativity and mobility in the centre, hopefully Mount will solve this. 

Strikers - We need a strong target man to use this formation. Martin can do this but the others don’t seem to be able to play the role. 

One or two players probably did themselves little favours tonight. We have seen this time and time again, but probably good for Lampard to see it now. 

14 minutes ago, Viper2 said:

Still think Lampard is the wrong appointment for us, absolute gamble. 

Brilliant first post - downhill from here for you methinks. Bet you'd have been much happier if it had been Mick McCarthy 

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Thorne passed the ball about 8 times in that half. Only one went forward and he was anonymous for most part. The ball went back to roos more times than forward. Roos dwells on the ball too much for my liking. First half better but still not up with first half against Notts. Plenty for Frank to ponder 

Realistically even if our squad stays largely the same I can only see 5 of the starters tonight that are likely to start the first game, and maybe just 1 of the second half team.

Carson (1st)

Wisdom (1st but out of position), Keogh (2nd), Davies (1st), Forsyth (N/A, maybe Lowe),

Mount (N/A), Huddlestone (1st),

Josefzoon/Someone else (N/A), Lawrence (1st), Wilson (N/A),

Someone not playing tonight (N/A) 

I know it's mostly about fitness at this stage but pretty sure this could be strike 2 for a few players.

Southampton will probably see a more senior side play a larger duration of the game (something more like the above), with the reserves being sent to Coventry midweek.

Mitchell/Roos

Bogle, Hanson/Forsyth, Pearce, Lowe,

2 of Ledley/Thorne/Elsnik/Bryson/Butterfield/Johnson

Thomas, Vydra (for fitness), Johnson/Blackman/Anya/Bennett,

Martin (for fitness)/Jerome/Blackman 

Just now, Andicis said:

How did you feel those two played?

Thought Lowe had a good first half. He dealt with minor threats comfortably and burst into open space if no pass was on. He supported Lawrence all the time. Second half I thought he was caught the wrong side of his man a few times. His passing got lazy (or maybe it's just the players in front stopped interchanging. 

Bennett... He's fast and strong. I don't think he's very subtle though. He's direct but perhaps too much? Where Luke Thomas will lift his head up and you never quite know what's coming, Bennett puts his head down and goes for it. 

I dunno. Do you like those types of players?

I just find them a bit dull. Byline/cross, cut across/shot. Thats it. No real guile to open up a better chance? Strikes me as an impact sub

Just now, Alpha said:

Thought Lowe had a good first half. He dealt with minor threats comfortably and burst into open space if no pass was on. He supported Lawrence all the time. Second half I thought he was caught the wrong side of his man a few times. His passing got lazy (or maybe it's just the players in front stopped interchanging. 

Bennett... He's fast and strong. I don't think he's very subtle though. He's direct but perhaps too much? Where Luke Thomas will lift his head up and you never quite know what's coming, Bennett puts his head down and goes for it. 

I dunno. Do you like those types of players?

I just find them a bit dull. Byline/cross, cut across/shot. Thats it. No real guile to open up a better chance? Strikes me as an impact sub

I just feel like they have potential to break through this season and offer something. Lowe in particular, because I think Forsyth's passing can be awful at times. 

Do you feel like Thomas can offer more this year than Bennett could? 

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The Good 

The first half team performed similar to the Notts game. Sloppy play from Hanson, Huddlestone and Jerome kept on breaking down our attacks but the general play would have please Frank. The 433 were close in lines and players just constantly overlapped and dropped in here and there to create options. 

The Bad

The second half team certainly didn't get it. They played in strict positions like Rowett would have them. Huge gap between CB's and CF. Huge gap!!! No interchange and it meant they could press Thorne and the defending half of our team while having an accurate map of where our team were. Very predictable. The style was much more forced. Balls down the line, balls lifted over into space on the wings. Basically a team caught in transformation as a defence played passing and the attack played kick and chase.

The Ugly

Jamie Hanson very poor, Tom Huddlestone sloppy, Cameron Jerome lost the ball every time. Bradley Johnson is just rubbish. Just like at Notts he sees fit to smash the ball for absolutely no reason. He lifts it off the floor for no reason. Blackman showed no signs of carrying an attack. 

Other players were a bit poor. Bogle was naive, Thorne was like a tractor etc etc but I don't think any of them set off alarm bells.  Hanson, Jerome, Blackman and Johnson have surely only made Lampard think of the transfer market because of their decision making and lack of technical ability. 

Over the two games I think if Lampard had to pick a team 

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth, Ledley, Bryson, Butterfield, Thomas, Nugent, Lawrence would be it. 

That's the players that have been able to move freely within the system and have shown good aggressive passing and composure. 

But it's a team that I very much doubt he's happy to face Reading with. Bennett and Lowe have to keep fighting. Davies needs to shake off the rust. Huddlestone too needs to just wake up a bit. 

The rest need to seriously catch up. Way off the pace imo. 

I presume that you are referring solely to those players used in the two games up to now, because I’m pretty sure that the two new signings will be in Frank’s plans.

Hopefully we can judge more after this Southampton game. I'd hope it would be a game where Lampard takes it more seriously in the sense we aren't going to field two different sides, and play players who realistically have no real future as main players in this side.

It'll be nice to get a good look at Mount and Wilson and how Lampard plans to integrate them into the side.

Good run out and I kind of enjoyed the game. 

Positives.

bryson

thomas 

bennett

lawrence

Negatives.

Most of our midfield, so slow and laborious. Thorne and Johnson were really poor it was embarrassing.

Pearce and Davies looked like they were playing in cement at times, very rusty and slow.

Jerome and Nugent looked like they couldn't be bothered also. 

This is the time to impress and some of the squad look as if they don't want to be part of it. I look forward to seeing vydra and Martin back, hopefully they give us some impetus up front.  

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I just feel like they have potential to break through this season and offer something. Lowe in particular, because I think Forsyth's passing can be awful at times. 

Do you feel like Thomas can offer more this year than Bennett could? 

Yeah, agree about Lowe. Forsyth was impressive vs Notts though. Unusual level of composure.

Definitely think Thomas can jump the que on Bennett. He hasn't got Masons physicality but he's quick to get his head up and you never know what's coming. He uses both feet and looks to have a great understanding with Bryson forming.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I presume that you are referring solely to those players used in the two games up to now, because I’m pretty sure that the two new signings will be in Frank’s plans.

Yeah. Just if he had to go on what he's seen. I think theres certainly a huge chance for Vydra and Martin to force through too. The competition has been poor. 

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah, agree about Lowe. Forsyth was impressive vs Notts though. Unusual level of composure.

Definitely think Thomas can jump the que on Bennett. He hasn't got Masons physicality but he's quick to get his head up and you never know what's coming. He uses both feet and looks to have a great understanding with Bryson forming.

Yeah. Just if he had to go on what he's seen. I think theres certainly a huge chance for Vydra and Martin to force through too. The competition has been poor. 

Regarding fozzy it’s probably because we were doing most of the attacking and had most possession. He’s good at that side of the game. 

Seriously need a new striker. Nuge and Jerome aren’t the answer or the future. 

Ledley mount and Bryson for midfield starters currently. Lawrence, Thomas and Wilson should all be rotating as all good players. 

Nuge, Jerome, Blackman, Anya, Hanson and Johnson need to be moved on imo. Either don’t have the quality or are too old taking up space and wages plus not all are suited to a passing game.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Nuge, Jerome, Blackman, Anya, Hanson and Johnson need to be moved on imo. Either don’t have the quality or are too old taking up space and wages plus not all are suited to a passing game.

Good luck with that. You'll be writing the same thing next summer unless their contracts are all up.

43 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The Good 

The first half team performed similar to the Notts game. Sloppy play from Hanson, Huddlestone and Jerome kept on breaking down our attacks but the general play would have please Frank. The 433 were close in lines and players just constantly overlapped and dropped in here and there to create options. 

The Bad

The second half team certainly didn't get it. They played in strict positions like Rowett would have them. Huge gap between CB's and CF. Huge gap!!! No interchange and it meant they could press Thorne and the defending half of our team while having an accurate map of where our team were. Very predictable. The style was much more forced. Balls down the line, balls lifted over into space on the wings. Basically a team caught in transformation as a defence played passing and the attack played kick and chase.

The Ugly

Jamie Hanson very poor, Tom Huddlestone sloppy, Cameron Jerome lost the ball every time. Bradley Johnson is just rubbish. Just like at Notts he sees fit to smash the ball for absolutely no reason. He lifts it off the floor for no reason. Blackman showed no signs of carrying an attack. 

Other players were a bit poor. Bogle was naive, Thorne was like a tractor etc etc but I don't think any of them set off alarm bells.  Hanson, Jerome, Blackman and Johnson have surely only made Lampard think of the transfer market because of their decision making and lack of technical ability. 

Over the two games I think if Lampard had to pick a team 

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Pearce, Forsyth, Ledley, Bryson, Butterfield, Thomas, Nugent, Lawrence would be it. 

That's the players that have been able to move freely within the system and have shown good aggressive passing and composure. 

But it's a team that I very much doubt he's happy to face Reading with. Bennett and Lowe have to keep fighting. Davies needs to shake off the rust. Huddlestone too needs to just wake up a bit. 

The rest need to seriously catch up. Way off the pace imo. 

Think we watched a totally different game mate 

Huddlestone controlled everything first half ... everything... our composure, our tempo

yes he didnt execute a couple of slide rule passes but in the main he was head and shoulders above anyone else with the ball.

butterfield... didn’t know he was on the pitch quite honestly.

him and Johnson offered absolutely no control of the game second half ????

or am I missing something ? 

Archived