v Mansfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

My very unpopular opinion is that George Thorne looks a lot lighter and I have high hopes for him.

He was poor today mate

lile the other two in there with him second half offered very little in the way of control of the game.

was way too deep and struggled to find anything that wasn’t sideways or back to Keogh or Roos 

could argue the was cos of lack of options or support which maybe it was maybe it wasn’t but that just shows to me how those 3 gave us so little

no matter we don’t win or lose

points for it 

4 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

My very unpopular opinion is that George Thorne looks a lot lighter and I have high hopes for him.

Absolutely 100%, shocked he's getting so many pelters. He looks fitter than I've ever seen him. Also thought he looked rusty but was nowhere near as poor as Bradley Johnson.

Didn’t see the game tonight but I’m not concerned about the result or the performance. Some of the players will be on a downward curve after a very intensive pre-season; some will be a bit drained and that will explain a “no show”; makes you realise just what a special engine Bryson has got when he’s able to deliver again after Saturday in the heat. 

I think some fans need to be a bit more reflective and not so quick to write off players. That said, there are a few players who need to be gone in the nicest possible way...no names required. 

FL & staff are more than capable of finding the right formula. 

Onwards. Keep the faith. ?

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

He was poor today mate

lile the other two in there with him second half offered very little in the way of control of the game.

was way too deep and struggled to find anything that wasn’t sideways or back to Keogh or Roos 

couks argie the was cos of lack of options or support which maybe it was maybe it wasn’t but that just shows to me how those 3 gave us so little

no matter we don’t win or lose

points for it 

You could be right.

First football he’s played though,I wanted him to storm through and smash one in from 25 yards☹️.

He is definitely in better shape though?

1 minute ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Absolutely 100%, shocked he's getting so many pelters. He looks fitter than I've ever seen him. Also thought he looked rusty but was nowhere near as poor as Bradley Johnson.

Absolutely. He hardly played last season FFS! He needs game time. He has lost nothing...he just needs a run of games. 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Didn’t see the game tonight but I’m not concerned about the result or the performance. Some of the players will be on a downward curve after a very intensive pre-season; some will be a bit drained and that will explain a “no show”; makes you realise just what a special engine Bryson has got when he’s able to deliver again after Saturday in the heat. 

I think some fans need to be a bit more reflective and not so quick to write off players. That said, there are a few players who need to be gone in the nicest possible way...no names required. 

Names required ?

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

There’s nothing to worry about mate,it was standard pre season game with some poor football.

I reckon Frank   will have learnt a lot from that.

I think we had our hopes up of watching something like an in form Brazil.

If the first half is anything to go by then I'm confident that we will be playing some nice football this year.

I think Franks main problems this year are going to be

*Lack of a quality Striker

*Large unbalanced squad

*Players not good enough that are still under contract. (Big contracts)

*Not sure yet if some of the youngsters are quite ready for first team football.

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Think we watched a totally different game mate 

Huddlestone controlled everything first half ... everything... our composure or tempo

yes he didnt execute a couple of slide rule passes but in the main he was head and shoulders aobve anyone else with the ball.

butterfield... didn’t know he was on the pitch quite honestly.

him and Johnson offered absolutely no control of the game second half ????

or am I missing something ? 

Huddlestone gave the ball away quite a lot and often didn't have the mobility to recover.

I've got a bit of thing about DMs. It's really easy to hit the full backs with passes and look all pretty. A lot of DMs do this and think they're some kind of Xavi type ultra cool deep playmaker. It's a position where you have more options than anyone else and only a CB has more time. 

The real test is passing through the lines and defending. I thought his passing through the lines was poor, his lack of mobility exposed and several sloppy passes exposed the entire team.

To me spreading the play to the full backs is easy. It looks like you've created space with the pass but it's something Bradley Johnson did for Mac. It's that easy. I don't think you're controlling the game I think the opposition will always stand off and allow that. Why press it? 

I thought the real control came from Wisdom and Lowe stepping up, Bryson and Ledley creating angles after passing the ball and Lawrence eating territory up. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Huddlestone is the best passer in the league. Just tonight all the hard passes were poor and the easy stuff was a mixed bag. Defensively he's a bit of a tractor.  

Sounds like no one has trained tough pre-season weeks with an even tougher camp where you up your training to 2-3 times a day? I know I 've and more I had years, more frustrating the friendlies were. Cement on the feet is a damn accurate way to put it, that's exactly how it feels too.

I would be worried if our oldest and heaviest player would at the moment look like ducking Robert Pires, whose feet barely touched the pitch when he run...I'll start to worry in September if there is still a reason for that.

ps. Okay, Hanson and Bogle are not there age-wise, but ability-wise I don't think they should be knocking on our first team.

5 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

There’s nothing to worry about mate,it was standard pre season game with some poor football.

I reckon Frank   will have learnt a lot from that.

I think we had our hopes up of watching something like an in form Brazil.

Yes...@coneheadjohn, disappointment is understandable when expectation is raised after a few good days...a win and 2 exciting signings...but defeats are part of a process of getting things right. We know that; Derby have a lot of talented players right now so I’m very optimistic. 

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I had some problems at sending my message and you managed to write some sense before me. ?

Archived