Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

RiddingsRam

“I should maybe point out I'm not meaning directly to just have a go at Vydra, although I think there are problems. I think it's a consequence of how the management have set up this squad which means we have two deep DM and a very attacking no.10 making us have a non existent midfield. Vydra is fine as a player, but let's face it we haven't set up a team that has got the best out of all our players. We've set up a team that means one very good player can score the goals, but by doing that has stunted any other form of attack.”

So said Tuffluff .. I agree entirely, and have said so before, if Rowett cannot see for himself just how utterly stupid it is to play a system that has two defensive midfielders, two strikers, and no-one in between, thus creating a gaping hole where a proper creative midfielder should be, then he is not even fit to be a professional football manager, or even a Sunday League Coach !! 

So many supporters too keep referring to Vydra as “our Number 10”, meaning our creative midfield general .. THIS HE IS NOT, he is a STRIKER, who plays just behind another ‘up top’ No. 9 striker, and to expect him to play BOTH ROLES, as the clueless Gary Rowett obviously does, IS UTTERLY, RIDICULOUSLY STUPID !!!!  

And this is just one of Rowett’s shortcomings as a manager of this team, all of which many of us have realised for some time, and it now appears that a few more on this forum have started to notice too .. about time ! 

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Here is my thread. I was laughed at and essentially told I was being mardy after a poor result even though I'd set out reasons for my argument. 

Ha, i gave you a like at the time.

Unfortunately I think there’s a number of posters wanting to ‘react’ to posts or being contrary for the sake of it rather than trying to understand a different point of view

46 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think last night convinced me Vydra is a big part of our issue. Fair enough he has been individually brilliant at times, but he needs to ball too far up the field to be effective, which without a linking central midfielder just makes the gaps way too big.

I said to my mate that when Wolves had the ball, the pitch looked massive, and yet when we had it all of a sudden there was no gaps. Our players are so far apart that it’s just easy to fill holes against us, especially when no one seems keen on making any sort of run maybe aside from Weimann and perma-offside Nugent.

If you dropped a Palmer or even a Lawrence into Vydra’s spot then they’re much more likely to come deep and create a little more space for both the wingers and the striker, and also be able to carry the ball from deeper which stretches opposition midfielders a little bit.

Not to mention that we really should be getting £15m-£20m for him in this climate.

Vyds is a brilliant player and I am delighted he is our player...but I feel like the team is set up to get the best out of Vydra rather than set up to get the best out of the team.

3 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Nothing lost. 

Did anyone but the extremely optimistic fan really honestly believe we would get anything at Wolves.

Yes, I did. I saw Cardiff miss two penalties against them - so they should have beat them. I thought if we went at it well we could have given them a run for their money. Instead we just gave them the game. It was played at the pace of a pre-season friendly and with ther same amount of desire. Difficult to know how Wolves would have played if we hadn't gifted them an immediate goal.

But we did gift them a goal and then we both sat backed and played 'after you Claude'! Neves goal was great, but when the ball came towards him was there a Derby player within 10 yards? Was there one within 5 yards when he hit it? Pathetic from us.

They look a good side but we let them play - all this talk on here about them being a Prem team, what and no Championship team ever played well against a Prem team...anyway we looked a mess, no-one really knew what they were doing did they? Bar my player of the season Carson.

If we don't go up (for the money) this season goodness knows what Rowett will do with us next season, but it won't be good.

Outclassed. Fair enough.

We played exactly how we play, how GR said we'd play before the game. We don't often press high and rattle teams. We sit in and try to launch quickly into counter attack. It never looked like threatening superior opposition on the night.

Now we have to beat Burton to give us a chance. Rather like Sunderland and Bolton, we ought to be able to win, but I'm not convinced we'll do it. We're predictable, this Burton's last hurrah and Nig will have them revved up.

This is the season on Saturday...and even if we win I struggle with how we'll cope against top 6 opposition now or if we did get into the play-offs. My optimism bubble burst a few weeks back and I can't get it inflated again.

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, I did. I saw Cardiff miss two penalties against them - so they should have beat them. I thought if we went at it well we could have given them a run for their money. Instead we just gave them the game. It was played at the pace of a pre-season friendly and with ther same amount of desire. Difficult to know how Wolves would have played if we hadn't gifted them an immediate goal.

Not sure I agree with this. Wolves have had a few off days this season, and plenty of teams can hurt you, but when you've got players in the mood like they were last night and everything clicking, you're not really in the fight.

But - and this is a huge but - it doesn't make me any less angry with the performance. The problem was, the players were thinking the same thing as me. They rolled over and let Wolves tickle their bellies. It was so limp.

We could have had the exact same scoreline and felt very differently had we given it a go. Maybe even if we lost 3-0 and we were undone by that Neves worldie and a goal on the counter but we'd ruffled their feathers, we'd have a positive to take home.

Apart from bright starts to both halves - an aggregate of 8 or 9 minutes - I struggle to think of a single positive to take home from last night.

I hate it from two angles. First, our tactics and attitude to the game were a sign of what we're likely to be subjected to for 38 games should we go up. Second, we've had the budget to build a team as good as Wolves or petty bloody close and last night we didn't even look like we're in the same league. They've done in one summer what we haven't been able to get close to in three.

4 hours ago, David said:

When you have Lawrence stood only a few yards away from Baird and Weimann Wisdom, any counter attacks were out the window as Wolves were not just better but quicker than us all over. The speed they got up and down the pitch all game we didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t match starting off so deep.

Thats the problem but the bigger problem was, that it was no surprise and Rowett should have done something to stop it. Same issue at PP when they beat us.. High wingbacks pulling Weimann and Lawrence back to help the full backs. I know you have been rightly supportive of Rowett as the players have let him down but it's these failures that really make me question him. I have desperately been trying to stay neutral on Rowett but his problems on this front kill me. He did nothing to try and sort this out, nothing. We never asked a question of them, not one and he seemed content with that. Gung Ho / Goal Differenece, I get all those issues but if he keeps going into games with that mindset what on earth would he do in the Premier League? We will play two holding midfielders against Burton ffs.. Sets the tone.

It's like he writes the game plan before the game and sticks to it whatever is happening on the pitch. Subs will be used at 70 mins, paragraph 2 subsection 3. Like for like.. 

Neves looked a worldbeater last night, spraying balls all over the pitch.. Not really pressured once and even some on here might have been able to spray those balls about under no pressure. 

Our transition fron defense to attack, is sooooo slow. 

Come on Gary, give us something, anything so we can get behind you. 

The biggest worry is that when we do get promoted that next season Wolves home and away is going to be just about our easiest games and we have to be targeting 4 points minimum from those....and we looked a million miles from getting anything in either game this season. 

5 hours ago, archied said:

Forget wolves game , they have brought in a very good manager, they have links with agents that give them access to players that are out of reach to any other championship team and they have spent an absolute fortune for a team with no parachute payments and been able to bring in players through those contacts that don’t belong in the championship and in any other circumstances would never ever consider moving there ,,, I do not begrudge them that ,they are a decent old club who have had hard times ,I would kill for what has happened there to happen at derby but make no mistake we are way way behind them and last nights loss should be seen for what it is ,,, i ve heard the comments on we should have done what Hansen did ( crunching) from the start ,,, yea great idea let’s get yellows and sending offs suspensions for the run in , let’s be the dirty cloggers and we can have another stick to carry in the other hand along with the rowettball stick, 

lets open it up and go toe to toe with them and lose a hat full of goals when goal difference is going to be a big factor in poss play off spot ,,,no matter what any body thinks on rowett or the football the fact is that deserved or not we have a chance of going up through the play offs and as such have to now do what gives us the best chance of going up THIS season ,, we have to deal with NOW ,

i have been clamouring for Palmer to start games like the rest of us but also watching him closely lately to check my opinion ,,,well he is not going to make a massive difference ,, he flatters to deceive and is just as likely to lose you a game as win you one ,, he has that on the edge of losing it style of play that can come off great or total crap ,, in fact he is a wanchop without the scoring knack,so for me I’m gonna put to bed the idea that rowett is somehow blind and clueless by not building the team to fit him in ,,, you do what you like,

whats the future for us ? What advice do I give Mel? ,,,,,,,,,, if we don’t get up this season or if we do come to that ( can’t see it happening though it breaks my heart to say it) spend spend spend on a proper scouting system , that is the area that we are dead in the water ,, it’s the area that has destroyed us since nige left though we have to be scouting at and for a better level than nige was ,he was scouting at a level to produce a surprise package of a team able to surprisingly have a run at play offs and to be fair he was scouting at a limited level in terms of imagination beyond Scotland and lower leagues ,

we have spent very good money on crap that has got us here ( before rowetts buys who have been unimaginative but done a job ),,, you can blame who or what you want for that but it’s gone now and all that can be done is to change it for the long term NOW

Nail on the proverbial head archied re scouting. Of course we don’t know if we’ve been sniffing at some real gems but had silly price tags thrown at us, so much behind the scenes we are ignorant of. Good post mate 

Unusually missed the game last night due to personal reasons but managed to watch it on sky ...I turned it off after 80 mins ...I don’t think I’ve ever left a game early or missed any part of any game and yet last night I was totally fed up with it....

now this is going to ruffle a few but this is how I see it...are we going in the right direction?are we a better side than the last few seasons? Do we play better?  Is it good to watch ??? 

I don’t give a stuff about anyone saying we are building , we never managed to get up previously,we bottled it , we only have one system of playing etc etc blah blah!!

This is quite simply for me the most inept Derby side that I’ve watched for years ...ask any neutral supporter who watches games on sky what they think of us!!! Dire,turgid , football 

Wigan managed to have a go at Man City in the cup we don’t lay a glove on wolves didn’t get near them ...yes they’re a good side but FFS let’s have a go and play some football !!!

i purposely made no comments after Bolton because although we won it wasn’t good then we go to wolves and surrender like meek little kittens!!! It makes me sad to think we don’t try and play football ...Everton are in the PL and there fans want Big Sam out because it’s crap to watch and we are just as crap if not worse!!

before anyone says we would’ve got hammered if we went toe to toe with them trying to play proper pass and move football you’re right I think we might’ve !!

but GR has had the summer and plenty of time to mould us and get us playing and has decent players at his disposal ...this is not Burton or Brum Gary !!! but let’s be honest it’s painfully true that this IS GRs preferred method of play and I for one am pissed of with it !!! And it’s not going to change!!! Whooopee??

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Ha! I've been on here about 18000 weeks! 

Gotta have a good moan from time to time. I've been bottling it for months :p

I’m sorry you don’t enjoy match day.  I still get excited about watching Derby . Must be just me but I like Rowett and I still think he will get it right eventually  PS 18000 weeks lol is about 346 odd years. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

I’m sorry you don’t enjoy match day.  I still get excited about watching Derby . Must be just me but I like Rowett and I still think he will get it right eventually  PS 18000 weeks lol is about 346 odd years. 

We go in hope ( not hate !) every time and keep being disappointed. As a long time Derby fan we know things can and will get better but it could take a long time ( and not under Rowett).

20 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Most of us want Rowett to get it right, that's the ideal situation here. Does anybody really want another rebuild/overhaul with another managers idea's?! I don't think so. The point is he's making it so hard for people to get onboard with his ideas with performances like that which have been frequent this year. 

Now you can answer my question and not dance around it like others have tonight, were you genuinely happy with that performance? 

Was I happy with that performance NO I was not, but I will judge all managers over a season, and I believe he will get it right in the end, next season we need to get in ,a ball playing mid, a wide man , who can put in quality balls 7 times out of 10, and a forward with pace and power, we also need a young quality left back, and then we will be promoted next season, need to get rid of some of the over paid, under performers as well to make this happen, as I have said many times, Gary has a tough job on his hands, but he shall succeed.

Archived