Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

RiddingsRam

30 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Why on earth would Palmer drop down a division to play for a manager who has given him 20 mins at most in the vast majority of his time here?

Well Rowett said "He's not fit" a few weeks back but then would be playing Vydra who had been suffereing with a groin problem since Brentford at home  and by the looks of tonight there might still be a problem...so explain that to me?

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back. No complaints at all. A 2-0 hammering. Totally outclassed. What was clear to see was the difference in mobility and pace between the teams and the passing. I am pleased that a team willing to play decent, attacking football like Wolves are going up. They were on a totally different level than us. Surprised with the poor Rams away following. Now need to beat Burton.

59 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I wish you were Mel.

Failing that, Director of Football, in charge of Mel's money, while keeping him at arms length. 

It's so simple, yet we never show the common sense to implement it.

@Alpha would be minted. We could nick round his gaff every morning to scrounge free sausages. 

43 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Ryan Woods, Marcus Maddison, a left back, Palmer and a quality forward(as well as bringing Martin, Bryson back from loan to give us the option to play 4-3-3 again). Lowe, Elsnik, Guy and Thomas as reliable backups to help save money.

Sell Vydra, Nugent, Jerome, Butterfield, Forsyth, Olsson, Johnson. We need to find buyers for all of those players though.

We've no money so how are we going to be able to buy the likes of Maddison - with chocolate buttons? And you want to sell our one real goal threat as things stand because HE makes us predictable? Chelsea are apparently going to try to find a PL club for Casey Palmer as well but the rest of it is fine I guess!

35 minutes ago, McLovin said:

By selling Vydra yes. We could easily get 20 million for him but we are poor negotiators so maybe not. That’s where lies part of our problem as we don’t demand enough for our players. Fulham want at least 25 million for Cairney and 30 million for sessengon, Norwich want 30 million for Maddison etc

I can see it now...

'Ere Gazza, we'll give you £20 mill for Vyds - what say you?

**** off!

How much do you want then?

I'll take 12 mill with add-ons

Really not sure we're such poor negotiators I think folk just assume that clubs were beating down our door for Hughes and Ince, which clearly, they were not. We got £10M + for Hendrick after all. 

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

@Alpha would be minted. We could nick round his gaff every morning to scrounge free sausages. 

We've no money so how are we going to be able to buy the likes of Maddison - with chocolate buttons? And you want to sell our one real goal threat as things stand because HE makes us predictable? Chelsea are apparently going to try to find a PL club for Casey Palmer as well but the rest of it is fine I guess!

I can see it now...

**** off!

Really not sure we're such poor negotiators I think folk just assume that clubs were beating down our door for Hughes and Ince, which clearly, they were not. We got £10M + for Hendrick after all. 

Should have bloody kept the buggers then......small fry cash compared to promotion.

50 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Why on earth would Palmer drop down a division to play for a manager who has given him 20 mins at most in the vast majority of his time here?

Because it was a last minute offer to bring him here and he didn't have any other offers. The reason he isn't playing is because he was a panic buy and Rowett didn't really want him. The only reason they got him was because they failed/didn't want to pay the required amount to get Lookman or Grosicki. Just like they failed in the whole January window, which has ruined the whole season. Palmer isn't even a winger which is what we were after.

13 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

After careful consideration, I've decided that I preferred our away game against wolves last season more than the one today.

Fair enough from a stylistic POV, I preferred that too but haven't Wolves brought in Boly and Bonatini on loans and spent over £40 million on Neves, Jota, and Afobe, amongst others?

And if we conceded 2 against the 2017 team, how many would our 2017 side have shipped against that the Wolves team tonight? 

It's hard to be positive after games where we were never at the races, but I'm not convinced we're in such an awful spot as some folk want to make out. I do miss us having a go against the better teams but Wolves are basically a Premiership sice in the Championship - I always hope we'll beat their likes but it's more hope and blind loyalty than expectation..

27 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I can see it now...

**** off!

Hendrick- That would be the Eire international central midfielder who actually plays in a top six team in the premiership who many on here said was not very good and inconsistent and it was great money on offer, well I didn’t think it was great money so it will be interesting to see if he moves on to another premiership club at some point

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Massive overreaction by some to this defeat. Our shortcomings were exposed by one of the best teams I’ve seen in the Championship and Ruben Neves the best player ever to grace the championship. You can’t win, press them they pick you off sit off them they dominate the ball. Defence and attack they are supreme. I think they could finish top 7 in the premier league now without any more signings. I think they are that good. 

We started in the right way but as soon as we gave away a stupid goal early it was curtains. Wolves have won 26 times in 29 games when they have scored first. Then we couldn’t get near them, don’t think it’s desire I just think we didn’t have the legs to get near them. Now people can argue that’s Rowett’s fault, but in my view we didn’t have legs in midfield last season only Bryson (when fit) and Hughes who moved onto better things. 

We need to play better but there will not be such a gulf in class against any of the other teams in the playoffs. Fulham will get automatic and I think we have enough to trouble anyone else except Wolves and Fulham.We will get the points we need for the playoffs as everyone has to play everyone. I think 2 wins and a draw from last 5 matches will do it.

if we lose to burton, then the over the top reactions seen tonight will be justified.

Delusional under-reaction from you I think.  Its not just legs we lack but skill on the ball and a willingness to take risks. Only 2 weeks ago we lost badly to the team bottom of the league and showed many of the same problems in that match. We don't know exactly what Rowett says to the players or how he sets them up but the evidence suggests caution caution caution and an over-reliance of the long ball. Boring, unattractive football.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Hendrick- That would be the Eire international central midfielder who actually plays in a top six team in the premiership who many on here said was not very good and inconsistent and it was great money on offer, well I didn’t think it was great money so it will be interesting to see if he moves on to another premiership club at some point

Good for you pal but as I recall, most on here were saying we should have taken the initial £3.5 million offered or have you conveniently forgotten that?

Maybe this will refresh your memory...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/burnley-launch-improved-6million-bid-8422729

That goal from Neves was worth the entry fee alone. It’s funny how you watch Derby players in the past like Hughes, Hendrick etc and think they’re bound for big things, but god that lad has it all. Eyebrows raised when they paid 15m but he’s worth double that now. Destined for big things. 

A mention to Wolves’ home support also, which was tremendous. 

Calmed down a bit now, sometimes you have to take your hat off to the opposition. I argued that we were negative but it’s difficult for Gary when your game plan is completely ripped up after conceding a goal like that. 

A positive we can take is that we won’t be facing a side as good as that in the play offs if we make it, they will stay up comfortably next season. 

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Good for you pal but as I recall, most on here were saying we should have taken the initial £3.5 million offered or have you conveniently forgotten that?

Which highlights some people’s differing opinions 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Which highlights some people’s differing opinions 

Well have a hunt around the Hendrick thread and re-post where you were saying we should be getting more than £10 mill then - I'll wait, ok? In fact, try and find anyone saying £10 mill was a poor deal. I've plenty of time....

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

That goal from Neves was worth the entry fee alone. It’s funny how you watch Derby players in the past like Hughes, Hendrick etc and think they’re bound for big things, but god that lad has it all. Eyebrows raised when they paid 15m but he’s worth double that now. Destined for big things. 

A mention to Wolves’ home support also, which was tremendous. 

Calmed down a bit now, sometimes you have to take your hat off to the opposition. I argued that we were negative but it’s difficult for Gary when your game plan is completely ripped up after conceding a goal like that. 

A positive we can take is that we won’t be facing a side as good as that in the play offs if we make it, they will stay up comfortably next season. 

We also didn’t take a scoreline battering and I have a current feeling that may be vital in reaching the playoffs 

10 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Fair enough from a stylistic POV, I preferred that too but haven't Wolves brought in Boly and Bonatini on loans and spent over £40 million on Neves, Jota, and Afobe, amongst others?

And if we conceded 2 against the 2017 team, how many would our 2017 side have shipped against that the Wolves team tonight? 

It's hard to be positive after games where we were never at the races, but I'm not convinced we're in such an awful spot as some folk want to make out. I do miss us having a go against the better teams but Wolves are basically a Premiership sice in the Championship - I always hope we'll beat their likes but it's more hope and blind loyalty than expectation..

My posts are less a disappointment with our result tonight, and more a general disappointment overall. While we were far from perfect in that brief purple patch last year, I still had more enjoyment and pride in the club than I do now. I've not been this disinterested in the club since mid-late clough era and that's extraordinary with us being 5th in the league right now. 

I'm going to take a little break from watching games and venting on here for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Archived