Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

RiddingsRam

Very disappointing. So much so I nearly put Masterchef on. I didn't expect a win but i at least expected to give Wolves something to think about (in the end they didn't even need to think about football).

One stark contrast to me was that Vydra got fouled several times, nothing major but enough to annoy and disrupt. We never really got close to their danger men, Hanson on 90mins.... We stood around admiring them. We show too much respect at times and when it isn't going our way it is tough to turn it around.

I don't know what to make of it all. This style will get us nowhere in the prem if we get there and i am failing to see Rowett be anything other than stubborn. Failure to finish in the play offs and coupled with an overly negative approach, Mel will have some thinking to do. If we do finish in the playoffs then job done but certainly with minimal confidence in what lies ahead.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McLovin said:

I can understand both of your points because we seem to replace our best players with inferior versions. However, as good as Vydra has been, he makes us predictable to play against. When he doesn’t score, he doesn’t do as much as a number 10 should. He also restricts us to playing 4–2-3-1 as he doesn’t suit a 4-3-3. I think would he be ok in a diamond formation like he was at Watford but we don’t have the wing backs to provide width.

We wouldn't be predictable if we had good quality wingers to play Vydra with. Then we wouldn't have to purely go down the middle. The issue is we only have one adequate attacker, meaning that we have to play through Vydra or we're completely lacking. To be fair, he's scored 19 goals. You can't ask much more from your striker.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nobody will buy Nugent, Jerome, Butterfield or Johnson. They're on huge wages, and in the twilight of their careers. You expect to raise the funds to buy Woods, Palmer and a quality forward? 

By selling Vydra yes. We could easily get 20 million for him but we are poor negotiators so maybe not. That’s where lies part of our problem as we don’t demand enough for our players. Fulham want at least 25 million for Cairney and 30 million for sessengon, Norwich want 30 million for Maddison etc

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Um?? I didn't say that to begin with...?

You Quoted Max Lowe in a list of reliable backups I removed him as the only thing you can rely on is that he will get a hamstring injury ever other week 

Just now, JG400 said:

You Quoted Max Lowe in a list of reliable backups I removed him as the only thing you can rely on is that he will get a hamstring injury ever other week 

Ummmm. I think you're wrong. That was in a post, I myself had quoted. Not a point I had made. Not sure you need to fix anything for me, since I never said it to begin with!

Just now, Andicis said:

We wouldn't be predictable if we had good quality wingers to play Vydra with. Then we wouldn't have to purely go down the middle. The issue is we only have one adequate attacker, meaning that we have to play through Vydra or we're completely lacking. To be fair, he's scored 19 goals. You can't ask much more from your striker.

Vydra is hardly the problem,he does what he is paid to do.

But....I do think that to accommodate him we have lost the ability to play any other system which brings others into play under Gary's regime.

Now,that's not vydras fault,he could no doubt,fit into other ways to play (now he has his shooting boots on) but Gary had managed to get rid of our options which make changes of formation possible....

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

But....I do think that to accommodate him we have lost the ability to play any other system which brings others into play under Gary's regime.

Now,that's not vydras fault,he could no doubt,fit into other ways to play (now he has his shooting boots on) but Gary had managed to get rid of our options which make changes of formation possible....

There is a certain player at reading named Chris who would certainly be better than what Jerome has to offer. I think we could try other systems to be honest, we could even do a 4-4-2 with a striker to knock down to Vydra, like Watford used to play, I just don't think that we will.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Ummmm. I think you're wrong. That was in a post, I myself had quoted. Not a point I had made. Not sure you need to fix anything for me, since I never said it to begin with!

Hmm you are right my bad 

1 minute ago, clarkeram7 said:

You're deluded if you think Vydra is anywhere near what's wrong. End of discussion, he scores goals and works hard. He's the only player other than Lawrence in very short bursts who offers us any sort of attack threat. 

Good debate this. Not sure throwing 'deluded' or 'end of discussion' around helps mind. I think it's far from those things. 

3 matches out of the last 4 he's been absolutely AWOL. Didn't see the Bolton game admittedly but good to get on the scoresheet regardless. 

He's a match winner, a lethal finisher and can be a good link between our midfield and sole striker, no denying that. There's just too many 5 or 6 out of 10 performances from someone who is so pivotal to us winning games. Our set up doesn't help at times but for a player with his ability he's got to do more, offered nothing again tonight. Probably going to get over 20 goals this season and yet I still don't think he's been consistently quality which seems a weird thing to say. Maybe that's just a Championship thing and why he's struggled to take his goals to the league above. 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I shouldn't worry too much. Vydra will be gone by next season. He deserves better tbh and he looks well cheesed off. If he played for a decent footballing side, he'd be great. He's wasted at Derby but still made a good fist of it.

Just now, Andicis said:

There is a certain player at reading named Chris who would certainly be better than what Jerome has to offer. I think we could try other systems to be honest, we could even do a 4-4-2 with a striker to knock down to Vydra, like Watford used to play, I just don't think that we will.

Would like to see a 442 as an option....vydra certainly used to thrive on it at Watford,as you say.

But,no,Gary won't change anything.

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Would like to see a 442 as an option....vydra certainly used to thrive on it at Watford,as you say.

But,no,Gary won't change anything.

We played 442 several times earlier in the season with Martin and Winnall and I seem to remember us winning those games before Rowett reverted back to 4231. 

What ever happened to those two anyway?

16 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Very disappointing. So much so I nearly put Masterchef on. I didn't expect a win but i at least expected to give Wolves something to think about (in the end they didn't even need to think about football).

One stark contrast to me was that Vydra got fouled several times, nothing major but enough to annoy and disrupt. We never really got close to their danger men, Hanson on 90mins.... We stood around admiring them. We show too much respect at times and when it isn't going our way it is tough to turn it around.

I don't know what to make of it all. This style will get us nowhere in the prem if we get there and i am failing to see Rowett be anything other than stubborn. Failure to finish in the play offs and coupled with an overly negative approach, Mel will have some thinking to do. If we do finish in the playoffs then job done but certainly with minimal confidence in what lies ahead.

We speak as though this is a right.

But if we actually make will I be the only one asking "how?"

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think this is the main point for me and kinda the conclusive point of what I was trying to say, alas I got lost in the detail. Vydras fine, but many of us pondered way back in December about Rowett putting his eggs in one basket and unfortunately it has become a reality.

cheers kash!

38 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Massive overreaction by some to this defeat. Our shortcomings were exposed by one of the best teams I’ve seen in the Championship and Ruben Neves the best player ever to grace the championship. You can’t win, press them they pick you off sit off them they dominate the ball. Defence and attack they are supreme. I think they could finish top 7 in the premier league now without any more signings. I think they are that good. 

We started in the right way but as soon as we gave away a stupid goal early it was curtains. Wolves have won 26 times in 29 games when they have scored first. Then we couldn’t get near them, don’t think it’s desire I just think we didn’t have the legs to get near them. Now people can argue that’s Rowett’s fault, but in my view we didn’t have legs in midfield last season only Bryson (when fit) and Hughes who moved onto better things. 

We need to play better but there will not be such a gulf in class against any of the other teams in the playoffs. Fulham will get automatic and I think we have enough to trouble anyone else except Wolves and Fulham.We will get the points we need for the playoffs as everyone has to play everyone. I think 2 wins and a draw from last 5 matches will do it.

if we lose to burton, then the over the top reactions seen tonight will be justified.

Not a massive overreaction from people, you seem to forget Sunderland tore us a new one two weeks ago!  

Considering Vydra can only play behind the striker or in a two upfront, can someone tell me what wouldn't work with this team or at least something similar? (apart from the Managers inability to change)

3-5-2

Carson

Keogh // Pearce // Davies

Wiemann // Huddlestone // Ledley // Forsyth

Lawrence

Vydra // Nugent

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

We speak as though this is a right.

But if we actually make will I be the only one asking "how?"

It is no right but having been so well placed and the "experience" in our squad...

We certainly won't have got there through style or finesse.

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Considering Vydra can only play behind the striker or in a two upfront, can someone tell me what wouldn't work with this team or at least something similar? (apart from the Managers inability to change)

3-5-2

Carson

Keogh // Pearce // Davies

Wiemann // Huddlestone // Ledley // Forsyth

Lawrence

Vydra // Nugent

You included Forsyth for a start!

Archived