Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

RiddingsRam

Yesterday was woeful but i didn't expect a win just an attempt to. Wolves looked a class above but when you abuse FFP like they have and spend a tonne of money what do you expect.

We have a really tough run in the next new games. The Burton and Barnsley games look like must wins.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rowett needs to figure out how to deal with teams who play three at the back. He's not done so against any team. It'll get to the point where every team plays it against us just because it baffles him.

Apart from that, we need now to win against Burton and ensure we do better in the remaining games.

21 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Exactly what I have been trying to say about our club over the last few years, only you put it much better. 

Still don't know exactly what we are building this week. I think we are downsizing, so maybe a 1 bed starter home is the current project.

I reckon it's a cave - there's not a lot of light

PistoldPete2
47 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

The last three games the world has seen us play is Sunderland, PNE and Wolves. Don’t think we will have won over any neutrals.

I hate SKY Tv. Not only were those dire games, they were also scheduled on good Friday , Easter Monday and clashing with the champions league thriller juve v Real Madrid. A nuisance for Rams fans, but at least not many neutrals will actually have been watching. 

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

No, I meant quite the opposite of winning over. People will have gone from being neutral to being sick of watching games in which we play (I use 'play' in its loosest possible meaning)

It’s having the same affect on me tbh

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Nigel Clough Football was turgid..... yet he garners high praise on here.

Would you be happy if we were 20th and playing excellent football? 

The TV generation has an affect on this thinking of Football having to be absolutely perfect.

Don’t think he gets high praise, just a level of respect and understanding for the job he did do.

On your second point I’m not sure why it’s either/or?

People pay good money to watch football, I think there’s sometimes a lack of understanding in football management that good entertainment = good attendances and it’s not necessarily about winning games. That’s a more general point about football though, not just Derby

What can you say about a game like that? One rubbish piece of defending and one absolutely fantastic goal does not do justice to the gulf in class between these two teams.

From before the start of the game, we were just inconvenient interlopers at Woves' ongoing promotion party.

The ground was packed out and they even had their junior fans playing with their mascots and having their publicity photos right in front of the away supporters. We were subjected to all the Wolves propaganda - 'Nuno had a dream' - on the big screens and their announcer rang our their team names while notching it down several decibels and putting on his best 'oh dear' voice when mentioning ours.

As all good guests should, we gave our hosts a present in the form of a goal in the first few minutes. This allowed them to dominate all the party games, showing off their skills whilst genwrously allowing us to pretend to compete for short intervals.

Shortly after half time they presented us with our party bag - a goal of sheer quality that will live in the memory for a long time. Our fans couldn't help but applaud alongside the home fans.

The whole thing was quite civil, really, with a bit of polite banter between fans - 'Where were you when you were ****?' and of particular note both sets joining in with a bit of Colin bashing - as we watched their expansive passing and build up play. When will we see the like of that at Derby again, I  wonder? 

Derby were second best in every area of the pitch last night apart from goalkeeping, at least I couldn't make that comparison fairly as Ruddy had so little to do! 

The problem for us now is how to recover from this particular party in time for the next. On Saturday we need to put on new party outfits, arrive as gatecrasher,  take over the pitch, play rough and spoil their day. Can Gary get them up for that after they showed so little fight last night? Let's hope so! 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

What can you say about a game like that? One rubbish piece of defending and one absolutely fantastic goal does not do justice to the gulf in class between these two teams.

From before the start of the game, we were just inconvenient interlopers at Woves' ongoing promotion party.

The ground was packed out and they even had their junior fans playing with their mascots and having their publicity photos right in front of the away supporters. We were subjected to all the Wolves propaganda - 'Nuno had a dream' - on the big screens and their announcer rang our their team names while notching it down several decibels and putting on his best 'oh dear' voice when mentioning ours.

As all good guests should, we gave our hosts a present in the form of a goal in the first few minutes. This allowed them to dominate all the party games, showing off their skills whilst genwrously allowing us to pretend to compete for short intervals.

Shortly after half time they presented us with our party bag - a goal of sheer quality that will live in the memory for a long time. Our fans couldn't help but applaud alongside the home fans.

The whole thing was quite civil, really, with a bit of polite banter between fans - 'Where were you when you were ****?' and of particular note both sets joining in with a bit of Colin bashing - as we watched their expansive passing and build up play. When will we see the like of that at Derby again, I  wonder? 

Derby were second best in every area of the pitch last night apart from goalkeeping, at least I couldn't make that comparison fairly as Ruddy had so little to do! 

The problem for us now is how to recover from this particular party in time for the next. On Saturday we need to put on new party outfits, arrive as gatecrasher,  take over the pitch, play rough and spoil their day. Can Gary get them up for that after they showed so little fight last night? Let's hope so! 

There is a difference between showing fight and being outplayed. 

Do you think Barcelona showed no fight against Roma or Man City showed no fight against Liverpool.

Not a great visual last night as a Derby fan. Was like a training drill for Wolves all game. No pressing, lack of energy and the tempo and ball speed was far too slow from us. Really didn't expect anything as was the opinion of the majority of Derby fans but it was such a drab and weak performance it was a real eye opener to where we are at as a team. I hope I'm just over reacting and this has been the view from many teams who've faced Wolves this season. 

Lets not forget Wolves are a superb team with some exceptional players at this level. In particular the way their full backs get forward and stretch the game is superb and all three of the their centrebacks confident on the ball they make it work perfectly. They're at the summit because they have the players with the right attributes to play the 3-4-3 system so effectively. Neves is a special player and its a joke he's plying his trade against the Championship standard. He is a premium talent.  21 years old ffs... 

People on here clamour for us to play the 3-4-3. We just don't have the players to do this with the left and right wing backs being integral, we just don't have the pace and ability on the ball for our players to do this. Which Gary Rowett surely knows hence why its not been entertained. Poor Nuge was so isolated last night.I still think he's a bench player at best IF we had other options. I really hope this is an area we improve in the summer regardless of division as we are severely lacking the mobility up there. 

Sorry for the Wolves love-in but trying to add a bit of perspective. They're a quality side and have been a lot better than everyone in the division so no harm in losing to them 2-0. The way we lost was what was most disappointing I'm sure everyone will agree.

Showed the gulf between Wolves and where we're at, as well as the state of the league as a whole considering we are sitting in 5th and we are way off Wolves. The gulf between the Prem and Championship never looked so vast. 

Anyhow, this one is out the way, we didn't expect a win in this one. Five cup finals now starting with the "Anoki A38 Derby". We quite simply have to beat Burton, no excuses.I have us to pick up 10 points from the last 5 which should be enough to see us into the play-offs. 

19 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

Forget wolves game , they have brought in a very good manager, they have links with agents that give them access to players that are out of reach to any other championship team and they have spent an absolute fortune for a team with no parachute payments and been able to bring in players through those contacts that don’t belong in the championship and in any other circumstances would never ever consider moving there ,,, I do not begrudge them that ,they are a decent old club who have had hard times ,I would kill for what has happened there to happen at derby but make no mistake we are way way behind them and last nights loss should be seen for what it is ,,, i ve heard the comments on we should have done what Hansen did ( crunching) from the start ,,, yea great idea let’s get yellows and sending offs suspensions for the run in , let’s be the dirty cloggers and we can have another stick to carry in the other hand along with the rowettball stick, 

lets open it up and go toe to toe with them and lose a hat full of goals when goal difference is going to be a big factor in poss play off spot ,,,no matter what any body thinks on rowett or the football the fact is that deserved or not we have a chance of going up through the play offs and as such have to now do what gives us the best chance of going up THIS season ,, we have to deal with NOW ,

i have been clamouring for Palmer to start games like the rest of us but also watching him closely lately to check my opinion ,,,well he is not going to make a massive difference ,, he flatters to deceive and is just as likely to lose you a game as win you one ,, he has that on the edge of losing it style of play that can come off great or total crap ,, in fact he is a wanchop without the scoring knack,so for me I’m gonna put to bed the idea that rowett is somehow blind and clueless by not building the team to fit him in ,,, you do what you like,

whats the future for us ? What advice do I give Mel? ,,,,,,,,,, if we don’t get up this season or if we do come to that ( can’t see it happening though it breaks my heart to say it) spend spend spend on a proper scouting system , that is the area that we are dead in the water ,, it’s the area that has destroyed us since nige left though we have to be scouting at and for a better level than nige was ,he was scouting at a level to produce a surprise package of a team able to surprisingly have a run at play offs and to be fair he was scouting at a limited level in terms of imagination beyond Scotland and lower leagues ,

we have spent very good money on crap that has got us here ( before rowetts buys who have been unimaginative but done a job ),,, you can blame who or what you want for that but it’s gone now and all that can be done is to change it for the long term NOW

Disappointing game. Sit back, frustrate Wolves, nick one on the break, you could see what the game plan was and we can argue all day about the rights and wrongs of that. 

But when your defenders are caught ball watching 5 minutes, any plan you have is in the bin, no matter what it is. Our heads have a tendency to drop when conceding the first goal, to do so that early in the game was frustrating.

Surprised to see comments earlier in the thread discussing Rowett’s reluctance to try anything new and how a 4-4-2 formation would work, was clear as day in the first half that is how we were set up. 2 deep lying banks of 4 with Vydra stood along side Nugent admiring the views.

When you have Lawrence stood only a few yards away from Baird and Weimann Wisdom, any counter attacks were out the window as Wolves were not just better but quicker than us all over. The speed they got up and down the pitch all game we didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t match starting off so deep.

Counter attacking football is a legitimate and successful tactic, but you have to counter with attacks otherwise it’s just straight up defending which our game was and it never changed despite going one down.

And that is what was the main disappointment, the carry on regardless, no rallying cries, getting each other going and moving further up the pitch, closing the gap between midfield and the front two. Nothing. We just seemed to accept the defeat and took it on the chin. You can’t and shouldn’t be doing that against any side in this league.

Set pieces were also frustration, wasted as they have been for most of the season, when you’re working on capitalising from minimal opportunities you have to make the most from every single one. We didn’t.

The result is easier to take than the performance given the quality Wolves have. Neves goal, what do you say or do? ?

On we go, Burton next, time to give them a helping hand down to League 1, we owe them a walloping.

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Why can’t people understand Wolves are at the moment better than Derby. 

I've not seen a single person on this forum say Wolves aren't better than Derby.

People are decrying the lack of ambition, the lack of adventure with which we played last night. 

People can accept being beaten by the better team if you put up a fight. We didn't last night. We just turned over and had our tummys rubbed.

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

I've not seen a single person on this forum say Wolves aren't better than Derby.

People are decrying the lack of ambition, the lack of adventure with which we played last night. 

People can accept being beaten by the better team if you put up a fight. We didn't last night. We just turned over and had our tummys rubbed.

Lack of ambition comes from the club not the manager. 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

You're kidding right? You're telling me that Mel is forcing Rowett to keep youngsters on the bench and settle for keeping the score down instead of actually attacking the opposition?

4 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

You're kidding right? You're telling me that Mel is forcing Rowett to keep youngsters on the bench and settle for keeping the score down instead of actually attacking the opposition?

The U23s aren’t going to make any  difference.

Where do you get that idea from. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

The U23s aren’t going to make any  difference.

Where do you get that idea from. 

That's the thing though. How do we know that if he doesn't put them on?

By all accounts Luke Thomas is a very talented young player and fans want to see more of him. What's the harm of putting him on when we're 2-0 down and need a spark?

In a way you're right though, the under 23s aren't going to make a difference - because Rowett won't play them. Can't make a difference if you're not played.

The idea he was keeping the goal difference down? Rowett said so in the post match interview.

14 minutes ago, curtains said:

Who sets the team up? And then doesn’t change anything when we should be chasing the game. I have said for months this team can’t chase the game,if we score 1st great we will sit back and counter but if the opposition score 1st we look hopeless with no idea apart from lump it up to Nugent and hope that Vydra pulls something out the bag. I went last night and I’m simply not enjoying watching us play we look like most teams in this league playing percentage football and it’s dull.

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

That's the thing though. How do we know that if he doesn't put them on?

By all accounts Luke Thomas is a very talented young player and fans want to see more of him. What's the harm of putting him on when we're 2-0 down and need a spark?

In a way you're right though, the under 23s aren't going to make a difference - because Rowett won't play them. Can't make a difference if you're not played.

The idea he was keeping the goal difference down? Rowett said so in the post match interview.

Hanson came on last night.

Thomas last Saturday.

Do you want Rowett to play all the U23s I mean where are they against the likes of Chelsea U23s etc  

Goal differnce is worth an extra point to Derby at the moment in a top 6 push. 

Archived