Wolverhampton Wanderers v Derby County

RiddingsRam

9 hours ago, 'Rambe33 said:

Not a great visual last night as a Derby fan. Was like a training drill for Wolves all game. No pressing, lack of energy and the tempo and ball speed was far too slow from us. Really didn't expect anything as was the opinion of the majority of Derby fans but it was such a drab and weak performance it was a real eye opener to where we are at as a team. I hope I'm just over reacting and this has been the view from many teams who've faced Wolves this season. 

Lets not forget Wolves are a superb team with some exceptional players at this level. In particular the way their full backs get forward and stretch the game is superb and all three of the their centrebacks confident on the ball they make it work perfectly. They're at the summit because they have the players with the right attributes to play the 3-4-3 system so effectively. Neves is a special player and its a joke he's plying his trade against the Championship standard. He is a premium talent.  21 years old ffs... 

People on here clamour for us to play the 3-4-3. We just don't have the players to do this with the left and right wing backs being integral, we just don't have the pace and ability on the ball for our players to do this. Which Gary Rowett surely knows hence why its not been entertained. Poor Nuge was so isolated last night.I still think he's a bench player at best IF we had other options. I really hope this is an area we improve in the summer regardless of division as we are severely lacking the mobility up there. 

Sorry for the Wolves love-in but trying to add a bit of perspective. They're a quality side and have been a lot better than everyone in the division so no harm in losing to them 2-0. The way we lost was what was most disappointing I'm sure everyone will agree.

Showed the gulf between Wolves and where we're at, as well as the state of the league as a whole considering we are sitting in 5th and we are way off Wolves. The gulf between the Prem and Championship never looked so vast. 

Anyhow, this one is out the way, we didn't expect a win in this one. Five cup finals now starting with the "Anoki A38 Derby". We quite simply have to beat Burton, no excuses.I have us to pick up 10 points from the last 5 which should be enough to see us into the play-offs. 

10 points from the last 5 would be an amazing return considering how we are currently playing. Unfortunately I think it may be closer to 5.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's a cumulative reaction though...it's a build up of watching poor football over some time.....losing to wolves isn't the issue....and let's face it,tonight's reaction is just building on the Sunderland game...if we lose to Burton then you will see the meltdown proper.

I'm just mystified as to how anyone is happy with this football...is it just because Gary was our local hero??

Not going to disagree with all that. My issue is you’re right the football hasn’t been great for a long time, well before Rowett even arrived. In my view we haven’t played attractive football since Mac 1. The decisions made by the chairman since then have ultimately led to where we are now. I don’t think the football is any worse than last season and we have a far greater chance of being in the playoffs than last season. I think we will make the top 6. That’s improvement in a season where he’s had to balance books (Ince and Hughes sales were both vital it seems to me given the financial figures released). It also doesn’t help him having average players on the wage bill he can’t shift with is obviously going to limit what he can do in the transfer market.

The lower quality football since Mac 1 is not all down to Rowett. It was caused by the average signings of the Clement tenure (whether Clement signed them or not). That said he does play more of a percentage game which can be exciting with a balanced squad with energy. Burnley and Leicester have proved that. Rowett hasn’t had enough time to build that yet.

My view, and yes I also want him to succeed because he knows the club was a good player for us. Same reason I wanted Nigel to succeed (links with the club and area) I also think he’s the most honest manager we’ve had in a long time. 

Time will tell. If the football is dire and we’re nowhere near promotion next season a decision will be made and at that time I would probably support it.

35 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Not going to disagree with all that. My issue is you’re right the football hasn’t been great for a long time, well before Rowett even arrived. In my view we haven’t played attractive football since Mac 1. The decisions made by the chairman since then have ultimately led to where we are now. I don’t think the football is any worse than last season and we have a far greater chance of being in the playoffs than last season. I think we will make the top 6. That’s improvement in a season where he’s had to balance books (Ince and Hughes sales were both vital it seems to me given the financial figures released). It also doesn’t help him having average players on the wage bill he can’t shift with is obviously going to limit what he can do in the transfer market.

The lower quality football since Mac 1 is not all down to Rowett. It was caused by the average signings of the Clement tenure (whether Clement signed them or not). That said he does play more of a percentage game which can be exciting with a balanced squad with energy. Burnley and Leicester have proved that. Rowett hasn’t had enough time to build that yet.

My view, and yes I also want him to succeed because he knows the club was a good player for us. Same reason I wanted Nigel to succeed (links with the club and area) I also think he’s the most honest manager we’ve had in a long time. 

Time will tell. If the football is dire and we’re nowhere near promotion next season a decision will be made and at that time I would probably support it.

So if the football's still dire but we're near the play-offs we carry on with Rowett again?

PistoldPete2

I think the big problem with this ageing squad is that they are struggling to play three games in a week. Also the way we play with no proper midfield requires Vydra, weimann  and Nugent to do a lot of chasing long balls which is very tiring.

a game like last night is just one game too many. we seemed to give up, especially after losing an early goal. Not a surprising result by any means , but with the other midweek results going against  us i think we could just miss out on the play off place unless we get a result against Boro.  

21 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

That goal from Neves was worth the entry fee alone. It’s funny how you watch Derby players in the past like Hughes, Hendrick etc and think they’re bound for big things, but god that lad has it all. Eyebrows raised when they paid 15m but he’s worth double that now. Destined for big things. 

A mention to Wolves’ home support also, which was tremendous. 

Calmed down a bit now, sometimes you have to take your hat off to the opposition. I argued that we were negative but it’s difficult for Gary when your game plan is completely ripped up after conceding a goal like that. 

A positive we can take is that we won’t be facing a side as good as that in the play offs if we make it, they will stay up comfortably next season. 

How long will Wolves be able to keep hold of Neves? Will he be at Molineux in August?

I am sure fellow Portuguese Mourinho knows of Neves' skill.

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I am not living in the past. How many goals has he got this season? Or the last 12 months? 

No, no. You're right. He's crap. Completely useless. If you don't score then you're crap. Got it

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

No, no. You're right. He's crap. Completely useless. If you don't score then you're crap. Got it

How’s he doing at reading?

Too early to judge Jerome. If Martin doesn’t score another goal for Derby he’ll still be the best striker we’ve had at Derby in the past 15 years at least. 

He was a good option off the bench for me at least this season, but a player like Martin doesn’t want to play second fiddle, think it was the right decision to let him get more first team football but I’m mystified why he hasn’t done it at Reading.

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Too early to judge Jerome. If Martin doesn’t score another goal for Derby he’ll still be the best striker we’ve had at Derby in the past 15 years at least. 

He was a good option off the bench for me at least this season, but a player like Martin doesn’t want to play second fiddle, think it was the right decision to let him get more first team football but I’m mystified why he hasn’t done it at Reading.

I can judge Jerome for you , he is absolutely ***** ! I wonder why he couldn't get a game at mid table Norwich ???  

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’m mystified why he hasn’t done it at Reading.

He wasn't banging them in for a team 2nd in the league, never mind one who's in a relegation scrap. Down to service really init. If you don't play to his strengths he isn't going to do it for you, we all know that. In three times as many starts (27) Dave Nuge has scored three times as many goals (6) for contrast. 

I don't think it helps that Reading have almost had more sendings off than shots on target under Paul Clement so far either.. :lol: 

33 minutes ago, archied said:

How’s he doing at reading?

Why the dig at Martin again archied?....I thought you were being more open minded than that....I hope you aren't taking over from the absent ninos in pointless attacks.

He's still our player who fought tooth and nail to come back to the club after a previous clueless manager also saw fit to loan him out and before he and Russell left in January and were replaced by worse players,your gary was doing a lot better than he is now.

54 minutes ago, Simsy said:

You brought up his scoring statistics...

To show one of the reasons he's not crap. You then pointed out his lack of goals lately and I'm asking if that backs up your opinion that he's crap? 

Basically I would have thought that he'd be thought of fondly. I'm not arsed who he plays for now as I think his momentum with Derby has gone. But I just thought calling him crap was harsh from a Derby fan that's all

Archived