Derby County v Cardiff City F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the game, I described the team selection os 'Bizarre'.

Well, the performance was certainly out of the ordinary tonight, and was by and large a good watch. The players put in a huge effort tonight, and they thoroughly deserved the win.

24 minutes ago, curtains said:

I can see Rowett is doing his best. 

Just don’t think he deserves the outright criticism he gets 

PS You started it with Wildschut right. 

I wasn't trying to start anything. I thought we could both take enjoyment in the fact Wildschut had a big helping hand in us getting 3 points today

49 minutes ago, curtains said:

Some of the vitriol is out of order sorry. 

Agree. I've never been one to shy away from criticism, but it's the over-the-top and personal remarks that irritate me too. 

I've not been happy with the playing style, nor with the manner of some of the performances, but I think a level head has been needed at times. All our players have gone through good and bad spells, not one of them have been good all season. Davies is our best CB now, at the start of the season it was clearly Keogh. Carson has gone from world beater to Championship keeper. I honestly don't think we have anyone in our team that can escape this criticism. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Thanks .

Funny how the doom and gloom merchants about Rowett have all got egg on their faces tonight lol. 

Curtains,God bless but one game doesn't justify that.

I was there tonight and there was a great deal of effort from the lads.The determination was clear to see and I applaud that.

But let's just be clear,we still lacked a great deal of footballing skill.

We were still playing far too much in the sky as opposed to the floor and were still disjointed.

We came good against a team that plays like we do and whilst exciting to watch(and I appreciated that,I really enjoyed it)it was quite Sunday league.

It's nowhere near where we should be and I don't think rowett can solve that,from what I've seen.

Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the game but it's not the end story.

Let's get to the playoffs and take it from there.

Over-reaction in some quarters. I've suppprted Rowett, so I'm not being negative...but it isnt night and day like some are reporting.

Should have been a penalty and they had a sidefoot chance 2nd half that would have been game over.

All 3 of our goals were the result of defensive howlers of the type that has been driving us mad when we do it.

Jerome was pretty poor until the goal, Johnson's passing was still poor and the left side looks vulnerable.

Very pleased we seemed to have more gone out with attacking intent. Keogh really helped with the positivity we showed.

Have given ourselves a chance. But on a different day we could have lost...if that different day is against Villa can we try and keep some perspective  ? We have not had the 'rub of the green' other days and the forum has gone into meltdown, but the game turns on small incidents and last night they all went our way. 

Great game and result but Rowett hasnt gone from useless to genius....he is always somewhere in the middle!

10 hours ago, Whoneedshuls said:

He’s doing it on purpose we’ll be 1-0 down at half time Cardiff will think their set for top 2 then he’ll make a double change Palmer and vydra on and we’ll go on to win 3-1 he has a plan ;):( 

Who needs Hulse when we've got KP...

Hi Kevin,  nice to have some in house information on this forum. Worked an absolute treat last night, long may it continue !! :D

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that performance. With the hammering our confidence has taken in recent weeks, I didn't hink we had it in us to pull off that second half performance. Somehow we've stumbled across a system that seems to suit most of our players. Credit where credit is due. Well done GR for having the conviction to stick with it. Hope burns brightly a little longer. Let's hope it snowballs from here on in. See what I did there?

Sith Happens
29 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Over-reaction in some quarters. I've suppprted Rowett, so I'm not being negative...but it isnt night and day like some are reporting.

Should have been a penalty and they had a sidefoot chance 2nd half that would have been game over.

All 3 of our goals were the result of defensive howlers of the type that has been driving us mad when we do it.

Jerome was pretty poor until the goal, Johnson's passing was still poor and the left side looks vulnerable.

Very pleased we seemed to have more gone out with attacking intent. Keogh really helped with the positivity we showed.

Have given ourselves a chance. But on a different day we could have lost...if that different day is against Villa can we try and keep some perspective  ? We have not had the 'rub of the green' other days and the forum has gone into meltdown, but the game turns on small incidents and last night they all went our way. 

Great game and result but Rowett hasnt gone from useless to genius....he is always somewhere in the middle!

Its all its and buts though, on another day Lawrence and weimmans efforts in the first half might have gone in, their goal was a defensive howler from us and the sort of shot that ends up in the stands more often than not. And even if a penalty given its not a guaranteed goal.

7 hours ago, curtains said:

Maybe you got it wrong lol 

What changed tonight was the tactical set up. We stopped launching it from the back so much and played more in triangles around midfield. That movement is what allowed us to open Cardiff up more than we had been doing other teams. I stand by the fact that lineup was wrong, we only got better once Vydra came on and the midfield was still unbalanced, tho Jerome certainly proved me and many others wrong I must say. What I will give Gary massive credit for is finally allowing us to dictate the game rather than trying to get forward at every opportunity. He’s got my support back for now, this needs to continue though.

9 hours ago, curtains said:

Could you please say you got it wrong 

Got quite a few things wrong last night. Although one swallow doesn’t make a summer, so I will hold back with the sap cloth and ashes for the time being. (1) I didn’t think the players had the minerals or desire to stop our free fall (2) didn’t think gary had the desire or ability to motivate a turnaround (3) Never though Gary had the ability to identify a problem and be able to solve it. What however I don’t think I got wrong was criticism of his initial team selection. 2 dodgy left backs on the same pitch, along with Johnson as a holder and a right WB who can’t cross, and the divisions best striker not playing. That team would never have won that game. For the hour it was on, we should have scored from our 1 shot. They did score from theirs, but should have scored with Madine and also have had a penalty. That said Gary recognised this, took Olsen off and added Vydra. We looked a different team, far more attacking, taking the pressure off our defence. Vydra attracts a lot of defensive attention, which in turn gave Jerome lots more space. We played some great stuff in the last 30 mins. Great credit to all concerned 

Archived