Derby County v Cardiff City F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it’s worth noting how good the fans have been the last couple of games as well. I’ve been critical of the atmosphere at times but it makes such a difference when everyone is pulling together.

I know there’s the whole chicken and egg thing, who should inspire who, but let’s keep that up for the final 2, 4, or 5 games of the season. 

Just watching it again and something that does really fill me with joy seeing is the way goals are reacted to. I want players to react to us scoring the way I do, I really want them to care and give their all for the shirt. That’s what’s been most disappointing in recent games and disillusioned me slightly, the players just didn’t like they wanted it.

However in last night’s game, we really looked like a side willing to put our lives on the line and give our all for each other. It’s frustrating because it makes you question where that passion is all of the time.

But in particular, watch our equaliser again. It’s made better by the fact the ball trickled in, and all players in shot are celebrating as the ball rolls towards the goal line, before cutting to a shot of the coaching staff who are also going mental. I want to see more of this and believe that passion gets you a long way in football, it can’t just be talent alone. I’m glad we’ve shown we have got passion and desire in us, it’s just a matter of maintaining those levels in every game we have left this season, no matter how many that might be.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Just watching it again and something that does really fill me with joy seeing is the way goals are reacted to. I want players to react to us scoring the way I do, I really want them to care and give their all for the shirt. That’s what’s been most disappointing in recent games and disillusioned me slightly, the players just didn’t like they wanted it.

However in last night’s game, we really looked like a side willing to put our lives on the line and give our all for each other. It’s frustrating because it makes you question where that passion is all of the time.

But in particular, watch our equaliser again. It’s made better by the fact the ball trickled in, and all players in shot are celebrating as the ball rolls towards the goal line, before cutting to a shot of the coaching staff who are also going mental. I want to see more of this and believe that passion gets you a long way in football, it can’t just be talent alone. I’m glad we’ve shown we have got passion and desire in us, it’s just a matter of maintaining those levels in every game we have left this season, no matter how many that might be.

This 100%. I too have noticed goals barely celebrated. The passion has been missing. As someone else said its almost as if the players finally believe in what they are doing and are actually enjoying playing. 

7 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This 100%. I too have noticed goals barely celebrated. The passion has been missing. As someone else said its almost as if the players finally believe in what they are doing and are actually enjoying playing. 

Jerome was the only relatively muted one and that's only because Cardiff are a former club of his. Other than that, everybody was absolutely loving it and I can't really fault the work-rate of anybody in the side. Perhaps they did lose faith in the system and the switch has galvanised them and their confidence? Either way, the atmosphere on this forum today is so, so different from this time 24 hours ago and that can also be said about the team. There's a reason to be mildly excited again because we actually looked like a team, we didn't fluke it. If we can continue to play like that, with the same levels of commitment, desire and passion then why can't we do it?

The one thing I want to see for the remaining games is that level of effort, pride and passion. They've set the bench mark now for what they can do now they need to repeat that for every, hopefully 5 games we have left of this season.

great game to watch last night and so glad I went as I was seriously considering staying at home in the warm and dry

For one minute let’s look forward to a scenario where don’t go up ( please let us go up ) how far are we from a decent team for promotion next season?

Has rowett shown he can change and perhaps try to deliver the football fans want ?

With that formation are we a striker , a good left wingback and a quality midfielder away from very decent? 

And with that in mind do we have really decent under 23 options to come in and cover if we play that system ? 

If so with a bit of wheeling and dealing that should be very doable on our budget ?

thoughts?

Watched the game this morning and thought we did okay first half.. Things changed when we played Weimann as a wing back and brought Vydra on.. The first time I have seen Rowett be positive ffs.. Well Gary, what did that tell you? You don’t always have to be negative? The original starting line up killed me to be honest, just could not see the logic. A draw was no good to us.. Circumstances forced his hand and hopefully that was a eureka moment for him.

What did annoy me was his interview afterwards where he was talking like all the problems have gone away now. I really hope they have but one game is one game. Saturday will be very interesting now.. His natural instincts will be pulling towards the default safety first approach.., Come in Gary, take it forward now and not backwards.. Time to be brave.

2 hours ago, archied said:

For one minute let’s look forward to a scenario where don’t go up ( please let us go up ) how far are we from a decent team for promotion next season?

Has rowett shown he can change and perhaps try to deliver the football fans want ?

With that formation are we a striker , a good left wingback and a quality midfielder away from very decent? 

And with that in mind do we have really decent under 23 options to come in and cover if we play that system ? 

If so with a bit of wheeling and dealing that should be very doable on our budget ?

thoughts?

I think that is another thread but it gets me thinking. Definitely flank players be they wing backs or wingers and definitely some pace and forward thinking energy in midfield. Sort those out and we have a winning group. 

So yes .. Doable 

2 hours ago, archied said:

thoughts?

Probably worth a separate thread bud ?

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

Probably worth a separate thread bud ?

Derby are in a funny position at the moment. The players in the current team would probably be securing their exit by achieving promotion. Too old and slow for the Prem.

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Derby are in a funny position at the moment. The players in the current team would probably be securing their exit by achieving promotion. Too old and slow for the Prem.

A few would struggle but some might be ok. I think a sizeable reshuffle is inevitable irrespective of the players' ages. Just a shame it didn't happen last time we went up ?

45 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The ones who are too old and slow have already played in the Prem mostly, so won't be missing out.

They'll be thinking of another achievement on the CV, and the promotion bonus and built in pay rise to come, and the knowledge that they're contractually obliged to be paid until the contract ends, regardless of if they're playing or not.

Add in the fact other Championship clubs may take the same gamble on them we have, and there's no shortage of reasons to achieve promotion.

For the ones who haven't played in the top flight like Keogh, you've got the added motivation of reaching the pinnacle of professional football, which is an achievement in itself having spent a career in the lower leagues

If it doesn't go your way, as a promotion winning player you become much more covetable to ambitious 2nd tier clubs, having been there and done it.

It's often been said that players don't want to see themselves out of a job, so don't want to go up, but why risk being seen as not quite good enough to earn promotion, therefore limiting demand for your services, when you could be viewed as not quite good enough for the top tier which will still see plenty of clubs willing to gamble on you helping them get there initially?

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Watched the game this morning and thought we did okay first half.. Things changed when we played Weimann as a wing back and brought Vydra on.. The first time I have seen Rowett be positive ffs.. Well Gary, what did that tell you? You don’t always have to be negative? The original starting line up killed me to be honest, just could not see the logic. A draw was no good to us.. Circumstances forced his hand and hopefully that was a eureka moment for him.

What did annoy me was his interview afterwards where he was talking like all the problems have gone away now. I really hope they have but one game is one game. Saturday will be very interesting now.. His natural instincts will be pulling towards the default safety first approach.., Come in Gary, take it forward now and not backwards.. Time to be brave.

I thought he made some odd comments in his postmatch interview.

something about us not being the kind of side to try and nick a goal?

thats been plan A I thought? 

19 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I thought he made some odd comments in his postmatch interview.

something about us not being the kind of side to try and nick a goal?

thats been plan A I thought? 

He's said a few things recently that have made my ears p rick up.. Always thought he talked well but recently he has been all over the place.

PistoldPete2
On 25 April 2018 at 19:31, Anag Ram said:

Actually I think the opposite. If we get promotion we are likely to keep players like nugent and jerome, but if not we will need younger hungrier players. In the Prem we could have a big squad and play these oldies only once in a blue moon. Anyway still a dream at the moment a long way to go yet.

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Actually I think the opposite. If we get promotion we are likely to keep players like nugent and jerome, but if not we will need younger hungrier players. In the Prem we could have a big squad and play these oldies only once in a blue moon. Anyway still a dream at the moment a long way to go yet.

Those are both players who have been promoted and not played for their team in the Prem and then dropped down to Championship. 

Archived