Derby County V Reading

peachmyster

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed the beard I think today, not the right game for winnall, was gonna  mention a few players but to fair everyone apart from Wisdom was poor. They pressed us hard and quick , we let them play. Soft first goal , keogh was missed then and throughout. Hope it's not serious. Positives? Martin scoring. If I had to rate the players out of 10 sadly Wisdom would get highest at only 6.

off the back off 2 good wins can't explain how we started seemingly on the back foot.

wasnt expecting that

6 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

How can losing to Reading be construed as progress? A home draw would have been disappointing given their track record this season. But a 4-2 defeat is plain poor. No doubt about it.

4 wins out of 5 not progress?

No need to answer I'm fully aware of you as a poster here and how you are only interested in sticking the knife in after a poor result

Just now, maxjam said:

Bad result today but still top six without ever actually playing that well this season - which imo is a transition season. 

If we end up in or around the top six this season I'll be happy. 

It's not the result,  it's the setup and subsequent performance which were compounded today by management inertia.

In recent games we've had observations like.....

....seems to be working on partnerships. Nugent/vydra and then Martin /winnall. 

.....like the way Gary is not afraid to make early changes if it isn't working. 

.....Johnson has been far more effective further forward. 

All of these learning points seemed to have been thrown away. Of course injuries didn't help,  but garys responses were baffling and ultimately ineffective. 

Be very interesting to hear his views on today. If he holds his hands up then he will have gone up in my estimation. 

Memories of Bristol from the tv angle.  2 banks of 4 deep lying, no pressure on opposition.  BJ one of the better players but he is better further forward but why did we play like this?  Missed Ledley, releases BJ further forward,   Apart from that never once got the bounce of the ball which is a bit of a pay back on recent luck possibly.  Perhaps some will start to realise that we can be good but not good enough all the time.  Thought wisdom played well and great to see CM scoring

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

4 wins out of 5 not progress?

No need to answer I'm fully aware of you as a poster here and how you are only interested in sticking the knife in after a poor result

I'll answer any way regardless of whether you feel there is a need to. We have an expensively assembled, ageing squad, which will need substantial re-building at the end of this season should we not be promoted. Hence losing at home to Reading by 4 goals to two is very disappointing. Losing 4 goals to two away at reading would be very disappointing but today was an opportunity thrown down the drain to make further progress on the teams above us.

5 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I’m just glad all those mistakes happened in one game. 6 from 9 from our last 3, we’d all of taken a hand off for that. Obviously the manner of the defeat is disappointing, but hopefully (barring a Leeds win) in the top 6 going into the international break with a game in hand. Come on!

Totally agree. Most would have been chuffed with 6 points from the last 3 games.

I was thinking about going to this game midweek but decided against it. Only game I've been to this season was the 4-1 loss at Bristol City and didn't want to jinx us! I decided to play instead - tweaked my hamstring but feel like I 'dodged a bullet' now! 

Sixth place gives us a platform to build on. Let's hope we come back refreshed after the break and go on another run, preferably performing well too. COYR!

19 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You think Rowett isn’t complaining after that showing. It’s not wrist slashing it’s demanding better. Love Rowett but he botched it up today. When we were down by 3 we should have added another forward and took off a defender. Pretty obvious really. The good news is he will look more strongly to Vydra and Thorne which is a good thing. 

I realise this. It's pretty obvious that we're not going to go "oh well, at least we scored two goals so lets ignore the rest." My issue is that people who are silent for weeks seem to revel in us doing badly. People slate Rowett yet there was zero praise during the four wins.

My post seems to have been misunderstood to suggest that we shouldn't be complaining full stop. I didn't mean that at all.

48 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Rowett out I've had enough of this s***. 

Get a grip yer big old blouse

46 minutes ago, Ibby said:

This result is a sacking result.

Only in your mind pal. Most footy fans accept that every now and then their team are going to drop a bolark. Maybe take up with Madrid or Barca if you can't cope?

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Exaggeration on Martin as usual but agree with the rest. 

Bore off. Pathetic you can't even give credit to your own team's players. It's not all about you mate, much as you like to believe it is. 

Ok, on thread, so the wheels came off today. Big time. Doubtless applying a bit of rationale to the debate will result in the usual 'happy-clapper' retorts from those who've had to wait a few weeks to slag off the gaffer / players but here's the mitigation for what was, I concede, a poor performance today.

Firstly, this is our 3rd game in a week and we looked leggy. The lads ran themselves silly against Norwich and Leeds, both games away from home lest we forget. I was concerned we'd run out of steam today but in truth I don't think we ever really got going.

The loss of Ledley and Keogh was a major blow and simply goes to show how critical they are to our defensive capabilities. With Thorne absent too and GR seemingly reticent to chuck him into the fray, today was a timely reminder as to who the key players really are in this side. Perhaps the Keogh haters will have taken note though I doubt it somehow. If we have an option on Ledley then we need to put pen to paper ASAP.

Lastly, Reading are not a bottom four side. They have a good record against us in recent years and gave Forest a proper hiding last week. They're no mugs and anyone expecting us to roll over them needs to give their head a wobble. I'd have been delighted with a hard-fought 1-0.

So, yes, today was pretty woeful, yes, we've a right to be pissy about the result but as for sack the manager type posts, go for a long walk, do some knitting, catch the latest X-Factor or whatever it is you do to amuse yourself as football is clearly not for you. The game's about highs and lows and today was the latter. We dust ourselves down, go back to work and go again next week. That's all. 

COYR

10 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I really like the way Gary Rowett talks in interviews. Honest but diplomatic and understanding.  There aren't many managers who are willing to admit that their side have managed to put together a good sequence of results despite not playing particularly well.

I can't stand the way he talks. He is the first manager we have had in 35 years that I do not watch his interviews. 

What the f****** hell have I just had to suffer.

They should have some decency, get themselves organised and give this week's wages to the children ward at the Derby City Hospital.

Disgraceful.

We're set up to be compact and tight. As I said last night, Johnson can't do that role in the 2. Add in the loss of Keogh early...and anyone moaning about Keogh again can f*** off...and we were incapable of being solid. 

Then add in the fact that Rowett also picked an 'experimental' pairing up front, and Tom Lawrence isn't yet shown a shred of whatever quality he allegedly has and it turned into a f****** embarrassment.

Fozzy wants f****** for the back-pass. 

Basically .....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhh. I f****** hate football.

Archived