Derby County V Reading

peachmyster

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DC81871 said:

Seriously you guys don't be so hard on yourselves. 

even before the game your manager admitted we were in a false position, I think today we proved that in no uncertain fashion, 

I think we have 7 wins in the last 11 (I may be wrong)  visits to your place so its surprising how many on this forum predicted a easy home win. 

its normally a close game wherever we play you guys. luckily our big players came and performed today,  

That doesn't make you a bad side, but we were just better on the day, its the way football is. 

Our fans were in a frenzy to get get Japp Stam out this time last week, but after two wins and 7 goals hes a god, knee jerk reactions favour nobody. 

We are only a third of the way through the season. many ups and downs to go yet. 

Derby were awful but Reading were really good today. Intelligent, quick passing, movement and desire. The better team won and Reading will finish much higher up the league than the position they're in now I'm sure. 

53 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. No logic. And total inertia when it clearly wasn't working.

Playing the sit back and counter tactic doesn't work...

Why do we do that at home? Rowett goes on about different ways of playing but playing on the counter at 2-0 down. Or even at all, at home?!

35 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Poor selection from Rowett. Winnall is an impact player... Our best footballers martin and thorne on the bench . Wouldn't shackell be better than Pearce? Or Baird? Disastrous defending. 

You can’t not play Winnall after he scored all he goals he has done... and shackell is finished totally finished he will never play again...forget about him. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Is this not what management is paid to address?

Leave aside the injuries as s*** happens. It's the response that bears examination. 

We heard only the other match that we were looking fitter and stronger so why today did we appear knackered?

We saw earlier in the season that Johnson and huddlestone in the 2 wasn't working. Why go back to it?

We hear and see how the attacking partnerships have been developed - to build understanding. Why disrupt them?

We've been singing garys praises for getting youth time around the squad and for decisive substitutions - so we have a crock that we don't use on the bench and no youth in sight. Why do that?

Your points are all valid, and only Rowett can answer those questions, like i said i am at best on the fence about him, and would love to hear his replies.... 

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Agree that shackell or baird would have been better.

we were discussing this in the match. 

pearce was bricking it every time someone passed to him, and they didn't have a big striker, so a big lump wasn't the best option at the back.

They were quick mobile players.  

Pearce left us (Reading) because he wanted to progress his career, 5 years on he`s  no higher in grade than he will ever be. Was a decent player  who it was rumoured that Liverpool were interested. 

Hard to see him playing at any higher level than this. 

36 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Today showed up the naivety our Manager has, poor selection and even poorer reaction to going behind. I’m sure he’ll learn from today, I bloody hope so anyway. 

Perhaps you offer your cv to the club and pitch for the adviser role or the next manager maybe.  I really don't want to pick on you but critics are failed doers who rely, mostly, on hindsight.  Today was bad but it was coming.  I cant see us being top 2 but there is a reasonable top 6 chance.  Here for the ride or upgrade to a better package?

3 minutes ago, DC81871 said:

Pearce left us (Reading) because he wanted to progress his career, 5 years on he`s  no higher in grade than he will ever be. Was a decent player  who it was rumoured that Liverpool were interested. 

Hard to see him playing at any higher level than this. 

No he left Reading because of the pay rise just like 99% of players all around the country do.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. No logic. And total inertia when it clearly wasn't working.

Playing the sit back and counter tactic doesn't work when 0-2 down after 13 minutes. Without Keogh there was no leadership. So why did we continue to sit back? Baffling! It's not the result but the manner of the defeat that is worrying. 

Team selection wrong.

Tactics wrong.

Not making changes at 0-2 wrong. 

but I'm surprised at the compounding of errors today. :mellow:

This ...

Rowetts biggest question mark is his tactical nouse.. We have seen the same mistakes a few times this season and he seems reluctant to change what is obviously wrong..

Bad day at the office! Let's not dwell on it too much , we've gone into the international break in a good place. Wrong team selection, Rowett knew that. 

Credit where credits due to reading though I was quite impressed with them , there number 7 and Sone Aluko ripped us to bits. They should be up there or there abouts by the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You can’t not play Winnall after he scored all he goals he has done... and shackell is finished totally finished he will never play again...forget about him. 

What a silly thing to say Shackell finished he's still the best defender in the club give your head a shake its only Rowett who wants him and Anya out 

20 minutes ago, Davide said:

Derby were awful but Reading were really good today. Intelligent, quick passing, movement and desire. The better team won and Reading will finish much higher up the league than the position they're in now I'm sure. 

We looked like the away side today & Reading the home team. We just didn't want to take the game to them...

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Perhaps you offer your cv to the club and pitch for the adviser role or the next manager maybe.  I really don't want to pick on you but critics are failed doers who rely, mostly, on hindsight.  Today was bad but it was coming.  I cant see us being top 2 but there is a reasonable top 6 chance.  Here for the ride or upgrade to a better package?

Get a grip mate and wind your neck in, I think Gary will be ok. However today showed him up a bit that’s all. I’ve been on this ride for 35 years, quite like it and will hopefully be on it for the next 35........you??????????

17 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You can’t not play Winnall after he scored all he goals he has done...

That's what Rowett said. But he should have started with Winnall and Martin then, they work. But for me it shouldn't be about Winnall having to play - why? It has to work for the team.

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This ...

Rowetts biggest question mark is his tactical nouse.. We have seen the same mistakes a few times this season and he seems reluctant to change what is obviously wrong..

Yes that's why he changed it at Norwich and Leeds and we won 

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Oh cant I he cost us three points today

How about time wasting

How about there goal keeper pushing chris martin and throwing ball at him all he gets a yellow card should been a red card.

Their time wasting didn't cost us the game and neither did their keeper staying on the pitch (not that it was a sending off offence).

Just accept facts B4. It was a seriously bad day at the office today and we were fairly and well beaten by a much better team on the day. In my opinion, today's game demonstrated that we're in a falsely high position and Reading are better than their position suggest.

But, look on the bright side, one defeat in eight isn't too shabby and we're still top six (temporarily). 

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

It’s not hinsight though is it, if you could see it coming then you would try to address it before it happened.  I was very surprised with the selection, even more surprised with the tactics deployed after we went 2-0 down. We are going to lose games this season, the problem was the manner that we lost and the lack of ideas to try to get us back in the game when 2-0 down.

Aside from the goals etc,did anyone else think it was an unusually spiky game today?

Loads of needle between the players,especially Nugent and Martin winding their keeper up including some lovely shoves which resulted in the determining the ball into chrissies back and a head to head between them.

I noticed that reading seemed to revel in timewasting and goading the supporters too.

I thought the ref was masterful in not dealing with any of these issues at all...utterly useless today.

It all did add to the atmosphere though,which was pretty vicious....I've never seen a Russell or Martin goal celebrated quite so energetically and loudly as today...I felt like I was at the coleseum in Rome....just needed a lion thrown into the mix

Archived