Derby County V Reading

peachmyster

Saturday 4 November 2017 Pride Park Ko 3pm

Welcome one and all to the matchday thread 

Well just Wow what a run we are on 6pts from two very difficult away games to playoff rivals !

In the top six with a game in hand 

But no time to dwell Reading are up next and will be full of confidence after a win last week against a team from down the A52 but saying that Forest aren’t hard to beat these days ??

Up for debate 

What front 4 do we play ?

Does Winnall and Martin keep the places ?

Do we give Thorne a starting place ?

Will Lawrance score ?

Only one man knows for sure GR

Come on you Rams !

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, peachmyster said:

Saturday 4 November 2017 Pride Park Ko 3pm

Welcome one and all to the matchday thread 

Well just Wow what a run we are on 6pts from two very difficult away games to playoff rivals !

In the top six with a game in hand 

But no time to dwell Reading are up next and will be full of confidence after a win last week against a team from down the A52 but saying that Forest aren’t hard to beat these days ??

Up for debate 

Will Lawrance score ?

Come on you Rams !

interesting decision to be made

GR may link Vydra/Nugent and Winnall/Martin in training.  If Nugent is recovered then there is a decision to make.  Otherwise it will be the other pairing.  He seems set on keeping a winning team to together which is great

Lawrence - Vydra - Russell - Martin

I am loathed to change a winning side but GR seems happy to. I think Russell over Johnson as he allows us to be more expansive at home and I suspect that was GR's thinking in 2 tough away games: Johnson makes us more solid.

Vydra looks quality especially at home and I'd like to see us give a chance for him and Martin to link up properly. Winnall is an excellent impact player (although, that is probably harsh on him).

See above.

No. All of this criticism of Huddlestone is nonsense - him and Ledly have looked solid and provide a base. I'd like to see Huddlestone be a little more incisive, though. Thorne should be given until after the international break as, to me, he looks a tad heavy. Give him longer on the pitch if we have that luxury, however.

Will Lawrance score ?

I think you flatter GR a little here in saying that he 'knows for sure'. Unless GR has suddenly reincarnated as Mystic Meg, I'm not sure he does ;-)

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh Davies Fozzy 

Huddlestone Ledley 

Russell    Vydra   Johnson 

Martin 

But it will probably be the same team that started on Tuesday though. 

Lawrence should be dropped tbh. 

Carson
Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
            Johnson Ledley
Russell       Winnall      Lawrence
                   Martin   

Mitchell, Baird, Huddlestone, Thorne, Weimann, Nugent, Winnall

I've said this a few times now, but I really do think Tom needs a rest. He performs an important role in the team, but he has played a lot of minutes this season.

Drop Johnson back into midfield and get Russell back in the side if he's fit. Depending on Winnall's fitness, maybe drop him for Nugent or Vyds. There is still a big part of me that wants to seem Vyds play off Martin, so hopefully we'll see them start together soon.

Sounds like Ledley may be a doubt for Saturday so..............

.................................Carson.................................

Wisdom......Keogh................Davies...........Forsyth

...................Huddlestone.........Johnson................

Russell........................Vydra.................Lawrence

...................................Winnall..............................

Reading are another play it out from the back possession team. Winnall will need to run his socks off closing down their defence. Vydra in for speed as is Russell & Lawrence.  Bring it on. (Don't think George is ready yet)

Why do people think Russell should start. We have won and played our best football of the season in the Norwich game and 2 nd half v Leeds. Johnson has been MOTM in one and played extremely well in the other. I know some have suggested Lawrence drops or Johnson goes DM but why? Weimann came on and did very well v Leeds, surely he’s next cab off the rank if a change is to be made. I know Lawrence isn’t in top form yet but I would rather stick with him, if you watch any of our recent games, he attracts defenders. Whether this is a preemptive move by opposition managers, based on his reputation or his pace, I’m not sure. But either way he creates space for the others.  Forsyth was dog s**** early on but patience is paying off. We’re winning, stick with what’s working, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. It’s going to be a long, hard season, Russell will get his chance, if he is benched, he will be hungrier when that chance comes. Just like after his last lay off ( on the naughty step) let’s not over think it. 

1 hour ago, DEL said:

Carson 

Huddlestone Ledley 

Martin 

For Russell????

Loathe to not have Vydra playing especially at home but you can't change it can you? Martin could drop out I suppose to bring in a bit more energy to press them as they like to play it out. Johnson on the wing at home would also seem a bit defensive minded but you can't change much after two fantastic away wins, doesn't send out the right message. 

Suspect that Reading will see most of the ball and we'll allow them to do so which means that even if we win it won't actually count. 

Dont think you can drop Winnall after scoring two, go with Vydra to hit them early can always change to Nugent/Martin if we need more of a presence up front. Swap out Johnson for a more attack minded winger, not fussed between Weimann and Russell. Defense picks itself.            

Carson

Huddlestone Ledley

Lawrence Vyra Russell/Weimann

Winnall

12 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Dont think you can drop Winnall after scoring two, go with Vydra to hit them early can always change to Nugent/Martin if we need more of a presence up front. Swap out Johnson for a more attack minded winger, not fussed between Weimann and Russell. Defense picks itself.            

Carson

Huddlestone Ledley

Lawrence Vyra Russell/Weimann

Winnall

Dropping Johnson, is so harsh the lad was star man against Leeds and also played well at Norwich, also with Johnson further up the pitch he is always likely to get a goal, 4 already this season, scored more than any other midfielder, so for me if Johhno is fit, he has to play.

2 hours ago, DEL said:

Carson 

Huddlestone Ledley 

Martin 

Lawrence got the assist for the winning goal v Leeds :whistle:

Carson

Huddlestone Johnson

Russell           Martin           Lawrence

Winnall

Dropping Winall is borderline insane, no matter how much you love Nugent/Vydra. Play the hot hand, how often do you get the chance to play a striker who's scored 3 goals in the past two games?

I think Winnall and Martin suit each other best, in fact I don't think Rowett's really had Winnall on the pitch much without Martin there. 

Bring Russell back in, we're much more threatening with a proper winger. Someone to link up with Martin too, hopefully see more goals from our wingers when they have a striker to play off.

Goal we conceded on Tuesday highlighted need for a bit more mobility in midfield, something I think we've needed since pre-season. Ledley's done well but Johnson's playing well and is a definite Rowett favourite, hopefully starts him.

I've already talked about why I don't want Huddlestone dropped, don't think Thorne's ready yet and we need someone who can play killer balls in midfield. Ledley and Johnson just don't have the skill set for that, Huddlestone stays for the balance of the midfield.

Archived