Derby County V Reading

peachmyster

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, David said:

Then why have him on the bench ? It’s well documented on here I’m not a huge Rowett fan but that statement is ridiculous. He could have put one of the forwards from the under 23’s on the bench, given them a taste of a big match atmosphere, possibly whetted their appetite and inspired them or he could have put a packet of Sugar Puffs there, they would have been as beneficial as a striker he had no intention of using.

Boy, I’d really like to kick his arse every now and again.

1 minute ago, Pearl Ram said:

@Jourdan I wonder if Thorne didn’t start because he played the whole of an under 23 game the other night. Might have been wiser in retrospect  to only played him for half the game but maybe the thinking was Ledley would make today’s game.

Well apparently Vydra was still carrying his calf strain, so that explains why he didn't start and didn't feature. But why put someone on the bench if it's a 'risk' to play them when you need goals to get back into a game?

As for Thorne, I understand we are easing him back in. But again, if he's fit enough to play 90 minutes of reserve football on Wednesday and fit enough to make the bench, why was Johnson preferred? It has been proven that Huddlestone and Johnson don't work very well as a midfield two.

And if there were concerns over Thorne and Vydra, why not give players from the under 23s a chance?

Strange.

Just now, Jourdan said:

Well apparently Vydra was still carrying his calf strain, so that explains why he didn't start and didn't feature. But why put someone on the bench if it's a 'risk' to play them when you need goals to get back into a game?

As for Thorne, I understand we are easing him back in. But again, if he's fit enough to play 90 minutes of reserve football on Wednesday and fit enough to make the bench, why was Johnson preferred? It has been proven that Huddlestone and Johnson don't work very well as a midfield two.

And if there were concerns over Thorne and Vydra, why not give players from the under 23s a chance?

Strange.

See my post above yours re Vydra. :thumbsup:

OK, just back, i was surrounded by misery today, i'm not sure what people think this team should achieve... i dont think most people really think, they just spew vitriol.

Its been obvious to most that the team needs rebuilding/restructuring, NP was brought in to do that, we know how that ended, and we know what happened after that with other managers. Fast forward to Rowett, i have been on the fence about him,no secret there, but he is who MM has chosen for now.....

He has tried to reshape, and this summers dealing disappointing rather than inspiring for me,so i was expecting a mid table finish or worse, so i have been surprised by recent results, but pleased like most, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, this is NOT a promotion side, without some 'quality' options, and our frailties were shown up today with the omissions of some critical players for us,Keogh despite his haters is a great defender, prone to a blip, but still a great defender. Our midfield, one of my major gripes since selling/loaning our quality/flair was exposed today( Ledley was a gift from god after that shambles re Kieftenbeld

We were out fought and out played today and looked tired, ok we have played 3 games in a short space of time away, but so have other teams. For me, thats why we need talent/quality in midfield, if you rely as we do on pressing and energy then games like todays will find you out, ok all of our chickens came home to roost in one afternoon but it showed where we are, and we need to add 'quality' in Jan. I  said about Samuel Saiz who was 'quality' for leeds against us and its that kind of player we need totry to find for the style of play we seem to be aiming for under Rowett.

Its easy to criticise, boo, abuse,whatever, but if your a true fan,its more use to think about the situation and offer constructive criticism 

Looking at some of the past defeats and todays, I wonder if Rowett looks at opponents before the game and analyses their best players, play methods and possible weak links.

Often we seem ill set up against certain styles of opposition.

31 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Woodley  I know its about opinions but did you really go Russell MoM I thought he was terrible only Lawrence saved him from being the worst player on the pitch 

Agree game of opinions, I was sat next to the tunnel and from my view he never stopped trying, agree with your view of Lawrence.

that said would no doubt have a different view is watching from some where else.

Thoughts from today -

Hats off to Reading, they knew we dont have anybody to pick a decisive pass so did a brilliant job of cutting off our angles. Once either CB, Huddlestone, Johnson, or the fullbacks has the ball they had nowhere to go.  Once they had the first goal, it was game over.

I think I counted twice during the whole game where Huddlestone & Johnson passed it to each other in the middle, i was amazed how far apart they sat.  No chance of decent triangle passing when that happens.

Lawrence & Russell should’ve been swapped, the only way we were gonna get any joy was to get wide and take their fullbacks on the outside. Every time they cut in, they ran into 3 players.

Was there a mention of Keogh having a fitness test before the game??? The bench seemed very quick to have Pearce ready, and didn’t seem surprised when he said he was done.

The ref fell for their gamesmanship all game.

Chris Cunter, is still just that...

Well that was f****** s***...

Genuinely can’t remember the last time we shipped 4 goals at home, that truely is appalling, especially against a side so low in the table. You can moan at individual errors as much as you like (Forsyth was once again all over the show, and I think Davies must have had a worse head injury than that number 17 after that pass!) but the blame must firmly go at rowetts door for that- we were set up wrong from the start. Think the bizzare move to switch formations deserves its own thread tbh, there was no way that set up was going to work.

Were at home against reading for Christ’s sake, why have we not started vydra and gone more adventurous against a possession based side, who we need to press?! Winnall went on to have an absolutely dreadful performance, with some petulant fouls which frankly pissed me off. And then once we’ve gone 442, why in the high land of f**** is Winnall playing the hold up role and Nugent running in behind him? Absolute bizzare lineup, which coupled with a central midfield two without a runner, cost us the game today from the start.

My ratings for what it’s worth..

Carson 6- couldn’t do much but pick the ball out his net

Wisdom 7- one of few to come out with credit, defended strongly and attacked with power 

Keogh N/A- if anyone moans about him being our weak link again I’ll cry, everything fell apart today without him

Davies 4-  Some decent challenges but wtf was that pass, couple of other dodgy moves too

Forsyth 3- at fault for both the opening goals, torn to shreds again only redeemed by some decent crosses 

Russell 7- Got better as the game went on, worked his arse off but other than the goal to little avail sadly

Huddlestone 5- Just too slow, especially in that formation, tho some long balls were good

Johnson 5- fought hard but disagree with rowett that he was our best player, doesn’t have the energy to play that role

Lawrence 3- Needs drooping imo, did f*** all once again, set piece deliveries poor as well at times

Winnall 2- Worst striking performance I’ve seen since Conor Sammon, granted he didn’t have much chance but some of those fouls he made really pissed me off, put himself in a position to get sent off

Nugent 6- Worked hard and held the ball up, in the wrong position really

HOWEVER all of this said, it’s only one game. Shouldn’t be happening but as long as we make sure this is the worst game we witness at pride park this season then we’re not done yet. Still in the top 6 so things aren’t too bad, we’d have all taken this points haul from this set of games. The players and rowett need to hold their hands up for a dreadful day and ensure that lessons are learnt from this. Some of the overreactions on here are ridiculous after the run of form we’ve been on, but the performance in isolation deserves criticism.

Just got back. The only time we looked in the game was the first 5 minutes of the second half and then we go and shoot ourselves in the foot. No complaints, beaten by the better side. Missed Ledley in the midfield. Could have had a couple more in the second half but so could they...need to move on.....

Well, that didn't work did it !

congrats to Reading for playing fast tight football. We were out manouvered in the first half. Winall/Nugent didn't work. Think Sam is going to be better with Martin. 

Oh dear Curtis ... It happens to all of us. Chin up

Johnson, clumsy at times but he worked his socks off and made Johnny's goal as well as some gutsy tackles.

Huddlestone .. Time for a rest or to be picked against teams that don't have to zip that reading do - bring on George

Wisdom .. Woke up and had a good second half.

Nuge .. Still a jack in the box but needed Vydra 

Lawrence.. Wasteful but still a spark 

Johnny .. I love him but he is too rough at edges against a sharp team.

Pearce .. Did ok I suppose but we conceded 4 so maybe not ! 

Fozzy .. Had lots of chances to do something but didn't, about as good as the ref today 

Winall .. Nothing really worked today and then he got narky

Martin .. Looked polished, made a difference 

... Just one of those days. Missed Ledley, selection didn't work. Reading played well, ref didn't 

oh well off on my hols tomorrow..... As Arnie says "we'll be back" 

COYR

Bit of a reality check today and it might do us good , can't believe how much we missed Keogh ,  no one had a clue who to pass to , the midfield were static , Lawrence needs to get on the training ground and practice his dead ball work because it was pub football standard today , Wisden was making all the runs down the right while Russell was forty yards behind him surely that should be the other way around , but on the bright side were on a good run still in the mix and January's not far away .Good job we only charged Reading £20 or they might not of bought many.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well that was f****** s***...

Genuinely can’t remember the last time we shipped 4 goals at home, that truely is appalling, especially against a side so low in the table. You can moan at individual errors as much as you like (Forsyth was once again all over the show, and I think Davies must have had a worse head injury than that number 17 after that pass!) but the blame must firmly go at rowetts door for that- we were set up wrong from the start. Think the bizzare move to switch formations deserves its own thread tbh, there was no way that set up was going to work.

Were at home against reading for Christ’s sake, why have we not started vydra and gone more adventurous against a possession based side, who we need to press?! Winnall went on to have an absolutely dreadful performance, with some petulant fouls which frankly pissed me off. And then once we’ve gone 442, why in the high land of f**** is Winnall playing the hold up role and Nugent running in behind him? Absolute bizzare lineup, which coupled with a central midfield two without a runner, cost us the game today from the start.

My ratings for what it’s worth..

Carson 6- couldn’t do much but pick the ball out his net

Wisdom 7- one of few to come out with credit, defended strongly and attacked with power 

Keogh N/A- if anyone moans about him being our weak link again I’ll cry, everything fell apart today without him

Davies 4-  Some decent challenges but wtf was that pass, couple of other dodgy moves too

Forsyth 3- at fault for both the opening goals, torn to shreds again only redeemed by some decent crosses 

Russell 7- Got better as the game went on, worked his arse off but other than the goal to little avail sadly

Huddlestone 5- Just too slow, especially in that formation, tho some long balls were good

Johnson 5- fought hard but disagree with rowett that he was our best player, doesn’t have the energy to play that role

Lawrence 3- Needs drooping imo, did f*** all once again, set piece deliveries poor as well at times

Winnall 2- Worst striking performance I’ve seen since Conor Sammon, granted he didn’t have much chance but some of those fouls he made really pissed me off, put himself in a position to get sent off

Nugent 6- Worked hard and held the ball up, in the wrong position really

HOWEVER all of this said, it’s only one game. Shouldn’t be happening but as long as we make sure this is the worst game we witness at pride park this season then we’re not done yet. Still in the top 6 so things aren’t too bad, we’d have all taken this points haul from this set of games. The players and rowett need to hold their hands up for a dreadful day and ensure that lessons are learnt from this. Some of the overreactions on here are ridiculous after the run of form we’ve been on, but the performance in isolation deserves criticism.

Some of the overreactions on here are ridiculous " Yes your right but not as ridiculous as giving Russell 7 god he is a poor player 

On 02/11/2017 at 18:12, Wolfie20 said:

I'd stick with Lawrence a bit longer - he just needs that first goal for the club.

So do you still would stick with him for next game after today game?  

For me he need to dropped ASAP. 

Good result for us at Griffin Park tonight, Brentford beat Leeds 3-1. Leeds would have replaced us in the top 6 with a win though Boro will if they beat Sunderland tomorrow which you’ve got to think they will with Sunderland’s run of form.

Still, I didn’t see our result coming today so you’ve got to be optimistic the Black Cats might pull something out of the bag.

Archived