Derby County V Reading

peachmyster

Just now, Pearl Ram said:

Good result for us a Griffin Park tonight, Brentford beat Leeds 3-1. Leeds would have replaced us in the top 6 with a win though Boro will if they beat Sunderland tomorrow which you ‘be got to think they will with Sunderland run of form.

Still, I didn’t see our result coming today so you’ve got to be optimistic the Black Cats might pull something out of the bag.

Come on Sunderland. 

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our team when everyone is fit should be:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh  Davies Lowe

Thorne    Ledley

Russell           Vydra       Lawrence   

Nugent

Ideally sign another winger in January.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Our team when everyone is fit should be:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh  Davies Lowe

Thorne    Ledley

Russell           Vydra       Lawrence   

Nugent

Ideally sign another winger in January.

Nugent or Martin up front with vydra and I would honestly rather have weiman in for Lawrence....he has been awful.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Nugent or Martin up front with vydra and I would honestly rather have weiman in for Lawrence....he has been awful.

I'm hoping he comes good. Yes he's struggling at the moment but I think it's a combination of the system and lack of confidence. The way we set up, Lawrence needs to beat 2 or 3 men every time in order to get a shot away. We need to get him around the box as much as possible (a system like he plays in for Wales) as he's more dangerous there

Seriously you guys don't be so hard on yourselves. 

even before the game your manager admitted we were in a false position, I think today we proved that in no uncertain fashion, 

I think we have 7 wins in the last 11 (I may be wrong)  visits to your place so its surprising how many on this forum predicted a easy home win. 

its normally a close game wherever we play you guys. luckily our big players came and performed today,  

That doesn't make you a bad side, but we were just better on the day, its the way football is. 

Our fans were in a frenzy to get get Japp Stam out this time last week, but after two wins and 7 goals hes a god, knee jerk reactions favour nobody. 

We are only a third of the way through the season. many ups and downs to go yet. 

Just now, McLovin said:

I'm hoping he comes good. Yes he's struggling at the moment but I think it's a combination of the system and lack of confidence. The way we set up, Lawrence needs to beat 2 or 3 men every time in order to get a shot away. We need to get him around the box as much as possible (a system like he plays in for Wales) as he's more dangerous there

I think all of our ills are management based...Lawrence is a great player in the right system,so harsh of me to say he's been poor when the problem is how he is being utilised.

Tell you what,Mac would have used him differently.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think all of our ills are management based...Lawrence is a great player in the right system,so harsh of me to say he's been poor when the problem is how he is being utilised.

Tell you what,Mac would have used him differently.

Ince and Lawrence in a front 3 with Martin/Nugent in the middle would have been brilliant. I proposed a 3 at the back a while ago similar to what Chelsea play. Get Lawrence and Vydra as close to each other as possible behind the front man.

21 minutes ago, nfb said:

OK, just back, i was surrounded by misery today, i'm not sure what people think this team should achieve... i dont think most people really think, they just spew vitriol.

Its been obvious to most that the team needs rebuilding/restructuring, NP was brought in to do that, we know how that ended, and we know what happened after that with other managers. Fast forward to Rowett, i have been on the fence about him,no secret there, but he is who MM has chosen for now.....

He has tried to reshape, and this summers dealing disappointing rather than inspiring for me,so i was expecting a mid table finish or worse, so i have been surprised by recent results, but pleased like most, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, this is NOT a promotion side, without some 'quality' options, and our frailties were shown up today with the omissions of some critical players for us,Keogh despite his haters is a great defender, prone to a blip, but still a great defender. Our midfield, one of my major gripes since selling/loaning our quality/flair was exposed today( Ledley was a gift from god after that shambles re Kieftenbeld

We were out fought and out played today and looked tired, ok we have played 3 games in a short space of time away, but so have other teams. For me, thats why we need talent/quality in midfield, if you rely as we do on pressing and energy then games like todays will find you out, ok all of our chickens came home to roost in one afternoon but it showed where we are, and we need to add 'quality' in Jan. I  said about Samuel Saiz who was 'quality' for leeds against us and its that kind of player we need totry to find for the style of play we seem to be aiming for under Rowett.

Its easy to criticise, boo, 7abuse,whatever, but if your a true fan,its more use to think about the situation and offer constructive criticism 

Is this not what management is paid to address?

Leave aside the injuries as s*** happens. It's the response that bears examination. 

We heard only the other match that we were looking fitter and stronger so why today did we appear knackered?

We saw earlier in the season that Johnson and huddlestone in the 2 wasn't working. Why go back to it?

We hear and see how the attacking partnerships have been developed - to build understanding. Why disrupt them?

We've been singing garys praises for getting youth time around the squad and for decisive substitutions - so we have a crock that we don't use on the bench and no youth in sight. Why do that?

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

It's not the result,  it's the setup and subsequent performance which were compounded today by management inertia.

In recent games we've had observations like.....

....seems to be working on partnerships. Nugent/vydra and then Martin /winnall. 

.....like the way Gary is not afraid to make early changes if it isn't working. 

.....Johnson has been far more effective further forward. 

All of these learning points seemed to have been thrown away. Of course injuries didn't help,  but garys responses were baffling and ultimately ineffective. 

Be very interesting to hear his views on today. If he holds his hands up then he will have gone up in my estimation. 

Absolutely. No logic. And total inertia when it clearly wasn't working.

Playing the sit back and counter tactic doesn't work when 0-2 down after 13 minutes. Without Keogh there was no leadership. So why did we continue to sit back? Baffling! It's not the result but the manner of the defeat that is worrying. 

Team selection wrong.

Tactics wrong.

Not making changes at 0-2 wrong. 

GR did at least apologise but I'm surprised at the compounding of errors today. :mellow:

Poor selection from Rowett. Winnall is an impact player... Our best footballers martin and thorne on the bench . Wouldn't shackell be better than Pearce? Or Baird? Disastrous defending. 

Today showed up the naivety our Manager has, poor selection and even poorer reaction to going behind. I’m sure he’ll learn from today, I bloody hope so anyway. 

I think we changed too much from that which had served us well at Leeds.Bradders has been playing well in his more advanced position on the left,and I reckon he should have been left there.Gary said he would have had no hesitation in playing George,yet failed to do so after Joe's injury.

Martin and Winnall had done well at Leeds,so I think that pairing should have remained,particularly as a seemingly preferred home pairing of Nuge and Vyds wasn't fully available.I can see what Gary was getting at with regards Vyds.If,say, we'd been one down or level with 20 minutes to play,then it might have been worth the possibility  of  aggravating the strain v the chance of rescuing extra points.With the game gone there were no potential rewards to balance against the risks.

That just leaves TL v JR. I would have played TL,but withdrawn him for JR if the former hadn't started to produce the goods.

Don't understand this tired/leggy business.How could we be this way from the very start of the game? Norwich hadn't looked tired until later in the game,when their exertions in previous games began to take its toll.Seems to me we just weren't at it mentally from the off,far from the first time this has happened during the season.

Next game against Fulham 

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh* Davies Olsson 

Huddlestone Ledley*

Russell Vydra** Johnson 

Martin 

Subs Mitchell Baird Nugent Winnall Lawrence Pearce Thorne 

Reason why I put * next to Keogh and Ledley is only if they're 100% fit then start them. 

** If Vydra still got calf strain then Nugent or Winnall in for him. 

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Poor selection from Rowett. Winnall is an impact player... Our best footballers martin and thorne on the bench . Wouldn't shackell be better than Pearce? Or Baird? Disastrous defending. 

Agree that shackell or baird would have been better.

we were discussing this in the match. 

pearce was bricking it every time someone passed to him, and they didn't have a big striker, so a big lump wasn't the best option at the back.

They were quick mobile players.  

Archived