Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is we don't know,, he has 4 players that are his own buys in a very large squad that has underperformed for 3 years and got other managers sacked ,,, he has let two players go controversialy but those two have gone to premiere league so that coupled with ffp compliance doesn't really conclusively  tell us a lot about him,, I'm hoping he turns out to be the right man 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Trouble is he's walking the 'middle ground' and no-one is looking good out of it.

He should leave out the players he doesn't want at the club and bring in U23s in their place - then everyone will know what is going on. There's too much fudging of the truth going on. We know it's difficult to sell the players you don't want but continuing to play them gives them the upper hand.

It's time to stop messing about trying to please all and put out a team that knows how you want it to play and let them get on with it.

Exactly why the hell do we keep playing players that the club seem not to want , surely we have u23s we could bring in or are they not up to it either , don't see the point of having this all singing all dancing state of the art academy otherwise!

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Is that the same Clough who hadn't even got Burton promoted to the football league when he came to us??? His stature was based purely on his surname. I'd take Rowett's record over Nigel's.  We know Nigel and his brother could find gems, but you can also getting Davis, Huddlestone, Wisdom & Lawrence for a net profit is pretty decent. Just because they're known players, doesn't mean they can't be good deals.  

When Clough left Burton they were 13 points clear at the top of the league. I seem to remember McFarland nearly blew it. 

1 hour ago, Owd miner said:

Dunt think so mi owd mukka never said that.... nah put darn ya UDM membership form and read mi post again 

I int a Notts jelly baby, am from sarth Yorkshire. Wiv got a backbone us yorkies. A swear on arfur scargill's bald bit on top or is noggin, ah int a blackleg.

53 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Exactly why the hell do we keep playing players that the club seem not to want , surely we have u23s we could bring in or are they not up to it either , don't see the point of having this all singing all dancing state of the art academy otherwise!

In the fans forum he talked about not getting the value for the players he wants out (or some such wording), well I think it's time (well past) to just get them out - use this years transfer budget on getting out those Rowett doesn't want and fill in with the U23s if necessary.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

In the fans forum he talked about not getting the value for the players he wants out (or some such wording), well I think it's time (well past) to just get them out - use this years transfer budget on getting out those Rowett doesn't want and fill in with the U23s if necessary.

I'd go along with that and accept, for this season, that it would more than likely be a mid-table position. If we did go down that road, it amuses me no end to think how some of the little darlings on here would react.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah like the value of these players is going to increase in another years time maybe that explains why Rowett is persisting in playing some of them despite the same outputs match after match  

In answer to th OP, this isn't a question that can be fully answered at this time. Yes he talks a good game but as of yet he has not demonstrated a clear vision of where we are going in terms of shape or playing style of the team.  His footballing philosophy isn't something that enthralls me but ultimately if he gets us into a winning groove then I can look past that. He does seem a little obsessed with getting the ball forward at the earliest opportunity. Not necessarily a bad thing in essence but for me, intelligent footballers know the difference between hoofing it forward at every opportunity and retaining possession until the right moment to release that killer pass. His style is probably the opposite end of the scale to Clements. If we could find the middle ground between the two styles then we might just find a way out of this division.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Is that the same Clough who hadn't even got Burton promoted to the football league when he came to us??? His stature was based purely on his surname. I'd take Rowett's record over Nigel's.  We know Nigel and his brother could find gems, but you can also getting Davis, Huddlestone, Wisdom & Lawrence for a net profit is pretty decent. Just because they're known players, doesn't mean they can't be good deals.  

You'd take Rowett's record over Clough? That's interesting as I didn't know Rowett had one! 

I just wish Elsnik would get a chance. Give him a few games and see what he can do. Johnson and Bryson seem to have 1 good game in 5 similar to most of our players tbf. Elsnik could be our next Hughes, but we'll never know unless he gets a go 

10 hours ago, swiftur said:

Yes I don't understand this. I was stunned with huddlestone,he's not slow he's static,not what we needed.

Hmmmm guess you havent watched much football?  Huds is static and always will be the big plus is his distribution which is fantastic. Not sure why you are disappointed with the type of player he is.

3 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

In answer to th OP, this isn't a question that can be fully answered at this time. Yes he talks a good game but as of yet he has not demonstrated a clear vision of where we are going in terms of shape or playing style of the team.  His footballing philosophy isn't something that enthralls me but ultimately if he gets us into a winning groove then I can look past that. He does seem a little obsessed with getting the ball forward at the earliest opportunity. Not necessarily a bad thing in essence but for me, intelligent footballers know the difference between hoofing it forward at every opportunity and retaining possession until the right moment to release that killer pass. His style is probably the opposite end of the scale to Clements. If we could find the middle ground between the two styles then we might just find a way out of this division.

In addition to this,GR and some of the fan base, seemed to obsessed with everyone working hard.....can we not just get them playing with skill and intelligence?...it's not bloody rugby and if we ever,ever get into the premiership,we won't last five minutes playing like Welsh miners at the annual hoofball knockabout,we will need to play with some art and style....

I need to move on I suppose but I soooo wish we had been successful in the 2014 season,our play was beautiful and we could have progressed and not regressed as we have.

Hold on, hold on!

If you're spending your hard earned like myself buying multiple season tickets and travelling away and think we're going to breeze it then you're daft! We may not finish top 6, give the man time! I'm afraid this season may be a season of Gary finding his feet and getting rid of dead wood. He's a good man and we've got a local owner willing to back the club so if this time next season we haven't progressed then protest but until then support them! Look online at spending, we are mid table, the club's who have Invested heavily over last couple of seasons barring Villa and the odd surprise have gone up but we have to off load Clements mistakes!

15 hours ago, David said:

Might be, might not, only way you will know is if you give him a chance. 

One of the main criticisms aimed at the club recently is sacking managers too quickly, here we are in August questioning the managers ability. 

The players have spoke about the troubles of adapting to new ideas, Will Hughes before he left openly admitted it effected him, Butterfield said in an interview it would also take time to adjust to how Rowett wants to play.

Sometimes it just clicks 13/14, others will take a little longer. Paul Clements tenure didn't get off to the best of starts either, 4 draws and a defeat by this stage, after the international break the points started rolling in. 

Hasn't been pretty so far granted but if we're not willing to give any manager the time to assemble his squad, get the team playing as he wants we may as well give up now and take up Bowls or something. More defeats will follow, are we ready to handle those as part of the journey because no matter who walks through that door Derby County will lose games still.

As boring as it was you could at least see what Clement wanted them to do. His style was clear. 

With Rowett I'm yet to see anything that resembles a pattern/style in the matches I've watched. I don't think it's the right time to be asking this question but I will say I'm disappointed that the teams performances are not matching his words in interviews. 

We don't look like we can adapt or change it up to suit opposition, we look boring, we look ineffective and we look lethargic. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

As boring as it was you could at least see what Clement wanted them to do. His style was clear. 

With Rowett I'm yet to see anything that resembles a pattern/style in the matches I've watched. I don't think it's the right time to be asking this question but I will say I'm disappointed that the teams performances are not matching his words in interviews. 

We don't look like we can adapt or change it up to suit opposition, we look boring, we look ineffective and we look lethargic. 

We saw quite early what we were going to get from Rowett with Will Hughes given a bit part role. His persistence with Russell for his "energy" despite the player's largely ineffective contribution is in the same vein.

McClaren (13/14), Clement (15/16) and McClaren again (16/17) took us on a succesful  long run a few games after coming in. Will we see the same from Rowett any time soon?

I don't like much of his activity in this transfer window, selling youngish, intelligent and skillfull players and getting in elderly supertankers, and it may be the purse strings have now been tightened making things difficult.

He is now facing the most challenging situation in his career to date. However with the exception of Cardiff, the September fixtures give him every chance of proving he is up to the challenge.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

In addition to this,GR and some of the fan base, seemed to obsessed with everyone working hard.....can we not just get them playing with skill and intelligence?...it's not bloody rugby and if we ever,ever get into the premiership,we won't last five minutes playing like Welsh miners at the annual hoofball knockabout,we will need to play with some art and style....

I need to move on I suppose but I soooo wish we had been successful in the 2014 season,our play was beautiful and we could have progressed and not regressed as we have.

I'm not adverse to us obsessing on the hard working side of things. You have to strike a balance between that and using a bit of craft, guile and skill. If you look at the Barcelona side of a few years ago they had craft, guile and skill in abundance but their work rate was phenomenal too. It's the sitting back and hopeful punts into the channels at every opportunity that seems to be our only apparent game plan at the moment. That's the part that isn't really captivating me. Yes in the past we have tended to over play it at times and that can be equally frustrating but sometimes you need to retain possession to draw a team out of its defensive shape. For me hopeful punts ain't the way to go. Only time will tell if it's effective in the long run and more importantly if the players buy into that philosophy. 

Archived