Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what everybody needs to get through their entitled skulls is that GR isn't our new McClaren or Clement, he's our new Clough.  He isn't here to push us over the line, or to find the final piece of the jigsaw, he's here to clear out the under-performing dross, and get us competitive again.  Yes he'll have more money to spend than Nigel did, but he'll have the same remit.  He's got a massive rebuilding job on his hands, and I would think he's smarter enough to tell Uncle Mel just what big a task it is.  The team that lines up for the 5th game of next season will be radically different to the one that did so yesterday.  Too many players on juicey contracts, to many in the comfort zone

7 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

So you propose giving every other team the best part of half a season start while we find our rhythm ? Why don't other teams need this time to find their rhythm I wonder ?

He's a new manager in his first few games in charge. There's been some big changes in the team which will need time.

We keep making changes and not allowing time for a rhythm to be set. Instead there's more upheaval and change, more new players and a fewsales...and then another meltdown when the pieces don't immediately click and the process starts again.

Rowett needs time. It's no coincidence that we look back fondly on the Nigel era and believe the squad he built was more cohesive and better integrated than we've seen subsequently. Give Rowett a season to get the rhythm and everyone into a groove. Give him a second season to shape the team. Season 3 I would expect to see a challenge. 

9 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

I don't think pleasing (most) fans is that hard. They want a team that cares about the club as much as the fans do. That's pretty much it. 

I will have infinitely more respect for Gary Teale and Jake Buxton, than I will Bradley Johnson. Not as good technically but I would trade in a heartbeat. 

Yer flick to another thread and you will see people saying Johnny Russell tries hard and cares about the club but this is not enough and he should be sold.

I've never known a time of such mixed signals from the fans. 

So many even contradict their own opinions depending which thread they are posting on! (Not aimed at you by the way)

Rowett has to be given time but he does say some things one day and then says something else the next.

He may have his hands tied what worries me is that he knew previous managers said getting players out the door was not easy because of there contracts etc.

He then states the obvious we need to change things and bring in new players but is restricted by above.

To me we need 4 or 5 new players we need Thorne back is Huddlestone the right man i am not sure is johnson not sure do we play him further forward.

We simply need another quick hungry striker to share the load with Nugent i don't know what to think about martin i am a little worried that things are not going his way so he is or may start sulking so for me he has to go.

We need another winger because i think Lawrence will be good for us and we need another like him Russell for me is a squad player because he blows hot and cold and not consistent enough.

Is it worth us trying 3 at the back which would bring shackell in  and at wing backs play Johnson and wisdom with Thorne and Bryson in the middle then Lawrence ,Nugent, Vydra the front 3.

Other teams have done it against us Wolves and Sheff utd and we have been easy to beat so why not.

I think we need to try and do something different and this is a important week for us because we need at least 3 new players.

38 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

He's a new manager in his first few games in charge. There's been some big changes in the team which will need time.

We keep making changes and not allowing time for a rhythm to be set. Instead there's more upheaval and change, more new players and a fewsales...and then another meltdown when the pieces don't immediately click and the process starts again.

Rowett needs time. It's no coincidence that we look back fondly on the Nigel era and believe the squad he built was more cohesive and better integrated than we've seen subsequently. Give Rowett a season to get the rhythm and everyone into a groove. Give him a second season to shape the team. Season 3 I would expect to see a challenge. 

" first few games in charge "   have you had a long sleep?

This thread is a direct result and reaction to losing yesterday.  The three goals were all gifts borne out of mistakes or impetuousness.  Even though I was only listening to the chuckle brothers on RD, it didn't sound like Sheff Utd created that many other chances from open play.  But, in any event, why should we assume that they would be pushovers? Why should we assume a divine right to beat any team in this division?  Anybody with an ounce of rational thought in them knows that this is a terribly competitive league and that we are going to lose games.

What I don't understand is why we have to have this kind of reaction after every defeat.  Literally every defeat, as if every loss is a crisis. 

What's more, this is a team that finished ninth last season and clearly needs some major surgery.  It would appear that carrying that out might be a bit harder than anticipated, but many people also seem to want us to go back to the days of sensible expenditure and bringing in 'the right' players who 'want to play for this club'.  That might take a bit of time and patience.  

I'm not particularly enamoured with how GR is setting up at the moment, and I agree with those who say it isn't clear what we are trying to do.  The football also seems laboured and lethargic at times.  But I don't think this means GR isn't up to it (yet) and I also think that we have to stop looking to throw the baby out with the bathwater and give a manager the time needed, and the transfer windows required, to build the team he wants to build and see where it goes.  I realise that might take too mich time for those who want to see PL football now, but if the rush to get there quickly through profligacy now means we have to cut our cloth a bit more accordingly then that  might mean going through a bit of a painful period too  (if you think playing in the Championship is painful, which I don't).  Obviously, if it turns out even with time GR isn't up to it, then so be it.  He'll be in good company.  But I think we need to at least try for a bit of stability.  Chopping and changing hasn't worked.  How much time, you ask?  Well, that I don't know.  

Having said that, I still think we've got a lot of good players and there is no reason why we still shouldn't be challenging for the play offs.  No team that gets there will have done so without losing either.  There must be a team and set-up we can find to get the best out of them.

14 hours ago, ramma said:

Talks a good game in interviews but been lacking on the pitch so far in the games that mattered. Today was our first real test and well apart at the seams. 

I would say that only time will tell,  but mm needs to give him that time to shape / reshape the playing staff. 

I remember watching the game against Brentford last season at home 0-0 and thinking that night that until we move on the following players we will not get any higher than 10-7 position in the table,

Christie (sold)

Butterfield 

Johnson

Russell 

Weimann 

Anya

Bent

Blackman

And also Martin. 

That's not to say that the players I listed above are not good players or is it a criticism of the individuals just an assessment that they need to be moved on with some money coming in to reshape the side.

I would say that only when those players are gone and GR has had the chance to work with the new squad only then will we truly know if he is up to the task.

Will he get that grace? Over to you mm.

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

This thread is a direct result and reaction to losing yesterday.  The three goals were all gifts borne out of mistakes or impetuousness.  Even though I was only listening to the chuckle brothers on RD, it didn't sound like Sheff Utd created that many other chances from open play.  But, in any event, why should we assume that they would be pushovers? Why should we assume a divine right to beat any team in this division?  Anybody with an ounce of rational thought in them knows that this is a terribly competitive league and that we are going to lose games.

What I don't understand is why we have to have this kind of reaction after every defeat.  Literally every defeat, as if every loss is a crisis. 

What's more, this is a team that finished ninth last season and clearly needs some major surgery.  It would appear that carrying that out might be a bit harder than anticipated, but many people also seem to want us to go back to the days of sensible expenditure and brining in 'the right' players who 'want to play for this club'.  That might take a bit of time and patience.  

I'm not particularly enamoured with how GR is setting up at the moment, and I agree with those who say it isn't clear what we are trying to do.  The football also seems a bit laboured.  But I also think that we have to stop looking to throw the baby out with the bathwater and give a manager the time needed, and the transfer windows required, to build the team he wants to build and see where it goes.  I realise that might take too mich time for those who want to see PL football now, but if the rush to get there quickly through profligacy now means we have to cut our cloth a bit more accordingly then that  might mean going through a bit of a painful period.  Obviously, if it turns out even with time GR isn't up to it, then so be it.  He'll be in good company.  But I think we need to at least try forma bit of stability.  achopping and changing hasn't worked.

Having said that, I still think we've got a lot of good players and there is no reason why we still shouldn't be challenging for the play offs.  There must be a team and set-up we can find to get the best out of them.

I agree with most of this. My only gripe at the moment is that GR had 9 or 10 games last season, plus pre season to get his plans in place, yet to me it seems he still doesn't know his best team/formation.

He has often said he will adapt his team to suit our opposition but I've not really seen any sign of that. Not that I actually mind because I think we have a good enough squad that of we play to our own strengths that we should challenge for play offs.

14 hours ago, Jortat said:

And so it begins ?

Give it a few more games FFS

Or shall we just chop another manager and start all over again.

He has this season at least to try and sort this mess out.

If he could dump half of this squad I'm sure he would , but he can't so sit tight and let GR do his job and we will see how it ends when the seasons done.

Patience padawan .

I seem to recall 2 days ago GR said he was very happy with his squad. Just sayin'...

2 wins 2 defeats and a draw.

A rather indicernible inchoate style that isn't pleasing on the eye.

highly paid experienced professionals regularly making school-boy football eerrors 

A tendency to stick to the same formula even though it doesn't seem to work all that well.

I'd like to see some effort at variation; some change...Bryson must start now surely in an advanced midfield role. Perhaps Elsnik and Lowe to be picked. How will Thorne be accommodated? We have surely got to see more "experimentation" because 5 games and the pattern that is emerging is one that suggests the underlying formula isn't correct. Lots more tweaking required GR. 

Truly think the U23s should be getting picked more. Create more competition for the shirt, no on guaranteed. If some of the U23s don't work out well it doesn't seem we have lost too much with the way some of the first team has played. Also the injection of pace and heart could do everyone good.  But is GR scared of "player power" and causing a revolt if he leaves out established "stars". Or does he truly think the U23s aren't good enough? Most seem to agree that at least Elsnik deserves a shot. 

Archived